Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Maybe, but I don't think its as prevalent as some make it out to be.
Anyone can be successful at anything they want. I think there will always be some degree of racism and it goes both ways.
Yes, but we have to be honest about to the degree it effects and who gets what and to what volume, generally speaking. That doesn't mean it is impossible, but "the struggle" varies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,856 times
ScranBarre
I agree on many, not all, of your points. I live in Michigan and this subject permeates all forms of discussion. It is extremely irritating and te taxpayer should notbe hekd responsible for anothers PREVENTABLE mistakes such as children they cannot afford.
My one question would be...why support Obama when 90% of your views are Conservative???
-Before you reply let it be known that the Bush family was NOT Conservative. Republican yes, conservative no. Reagan was Conservative. So don't lean on him as a reference. Obama supports all of those wellfare programs you denounce and much more. He loves the idea of burdening the taxpayer and the idea of the wealthier supporting the rest. The tax scale already makes the wealthy pay more. How much more could he possibly want to steal from them?

Old 07-04-2009, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,341 times
Default Why you have to be competitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Thats exactly right. The saying "only the strong survive" will never be more true. These are the times where you will really see what your made of. In order to survive, your gonna have to want it more, be smarter, and work harder than the next guy.
Competition for the right reasons will increase your revenue, but if its not based on market, customers etc., and just beating the other guy.. well that's not always smart.

If you drop prices, create unwanted but better than competitor products, invest in locations that can compete against a competitor are in themselves great reasons for example.

I know these comments sound simplistic, but you don't have to look to far to see them played out. Sometimes being in front of an idiot means you just hit the cliff faster than they do.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Poor people hate rich people.

Rich people hire poor people.

Rich people also fire poor people.

Therefore, poor people hate rich people.

I'm confused.

Why the "hate"?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:45 PM

271 posts, read 664,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennibarger View Post
If you travel a few hours north of Detroit you'll find many rural locales with stats similar to those of my town's -

White population: 7,492
Black population: 27
American Indian population: 38
Asian population: 12
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander population: 1
Some other race population: 7
Two or more races population: 58

Talk about a lack of diversity!

It's sad to admit, but racism still abides in this area - despite the lack of people to actually be racist against. More than anything I think the racism in this area stems from ignorance. People up here see the Detroit and Flint news bits about murders and robberies and such, and assume it's got to be due to the other races present there. In fact, you wouldn't believe just how many people up north are AFRAID to go to Detroit. I go downstate to see concerts and whatnot a few times a year, and every time I tell my parents they freak out and make me promise to keep my cellphone on, my car windows up while driving through downtown, and plenty of companions with me for protection. seriously. My mom sees a black person and is instantly afraid for her safety. And it's not just her. It's a LOT of people in Northern Michigan. A LOT. And it annoys the crap out of me. What causes that in people? Is it just ignorance? Fear of the unknown?
From all I hear and read about violence in Detroit, I am one who is afraid to go there. But that doesn't make me racist. I could care less about the color of the people who are committing the crime. I just don't want to be there.

I have a good friend who is black and grew up in Detroit. A few years ago he moved to GR. He used to love Detroit, but even he said it has gotten so bad that he is afraid to go back. A couple years ago he went back for a new years celebration and said that was the last straw. Even still, he is about as afraid of camping in the woods up here as I am of going to Detroit. Different strokes for different folks, that's all.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:46 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Why would anyone be afraid of camping in the northern lower?

Dogman?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
Oh yeah, god FORBID that someone who's only working part-time actually go to the library and get on a board like City Data I forgot that people who are unemployed and/or underemployed are only allowed to eat, sleep and apply for jobs.

Also, furthermore, it really irritates me when people on here (not just you) frequently bring up internet access as some kind of proof that a person can't really be poor, or that a poor person is spending their money irresponsibly. I had internet access at home even while my husband was unemployed for 10 months. We already had the computer bought and paid for with cash and we were spending a whopping $20 a month (at the time) for our internet access. Poor people aren't allowed to spend $20 a month? That $20 a month is not going to make the difference between being poor and being middle class. I can understand complaining about poor people having the money for a cigarette habit but that's usually more than $20 a WEEK, not $20 a MONTH. Sure, little costs add up, but $20 for internet access is not going to change a person's financial situation significantly either way. Can we stop using internet access as proof that someone's not really poor or spending irresponsibly while poor?
Not to mention that the internet is a useful tool for looking for jobs and submitting your resume to companies-and sometimes it's the only way.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM

271 posts, read 664,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Why would anyone be afraid of camping in the northern lower?

Dogman?

Basically any wildlife, especially bears. But if you don't leave food laying out at night, you'll probably never see a bear.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
re OP
bek if you take away a crutch that person limping is not guna give you a thank you note.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
I can understand where you are coming from, but there isn't a simple answer other than you never needed a degree before.

The long answer: We are talking about generations here. My parents never pushed college on me because they never needed it. And they were considered professionals. Unless you were going to be an engineer/ lawyer/doctor etc you didn't need one. And this isn't just a MI issue, this is everywhere. Because of all the factory jobs here it didn't make much sense to go to college only to end up making a lot less money than a blue collar worker. Not to mention, your parents, their parents, and all their brothers and sisters alreay had a factory job.

My wife's uncle makes near 100k on the line. What would he have to do to for a living to match that? 4 years in undergrad, plus two for his masters to become a lawyer, accountant, engineer etc. Not to mention years of XP. Plus he is in his 50's.

I spent 9 years in college, and have 15 year xp as a professional, and just now am passing the hourly rate of some of these workers. College is a hard sell. Do they deserve the money they make? Does anyone really?Doesn't matter if someone is willing to pay it.

Now, I will be much better off in the long run but I am young. But as I said this is a generational issue. It will not change overnight. This has been going on for 100 years.

Pushing college has it's own problems as well. Not just any old degree/training is going to help you. And we all can't be lawyers/doctors

As an engineer I know lots of people with degrees. But, I still know more without. In fact, people with degrees are few and far between in most areas. And even more rare are people with degrees that will actually benefit them.

PS You will find a lot of people with degree's working along side us blue collar factory rats. Detroit went bust and the rest of the country took the ride too.....don't belittle the value of the common factory folks they're the backs on which the country rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan