Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
County Road Assn of Michigan - Seasonal Weight Restrictions (http://www.micountyroads.org/page.cfm/22/ - broken link)

Here is how bad the weather effects the roads.
OMG, I have to go to bed early tonight it appears. I was reading down through the link you provided and came to the exemption for Milk haulers and thought it said milf Haulers.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bydand View Post
omg, i have to go to bed early tonight it appears. I was reading down through the link you provided and came to the exemption for milk haulers and thought it said milf haulers.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Obviously, this guy knows nothing about the freeze thaw cycle and the massive amount of work and money it takes to keep up with it. It really bugs me when people from other states compare their roads to ours when they don't have to deal with the freeze thaw cycle. In the south, you can put down a road and not have to touch it for 10+ years and then all you need to do is put some tar down. Here, we're lucky to get 3 or 4 out of our roads before we're repairing them. Mother nature is stronger than asphalt.

I do wish someone would come up with something but I don't see that happening any time soon. As soon as you get a little water in a crack that turns to ice, you have the start of a pot hole. This year will be a bumper crop. The ground froze so hard here, several roads buckled. All those cracks are potholes of the future.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,246,280 times
Mirko
You said you lived in wayne county, well, that is not Michigan! Drive north, way north, if you want to see Michigan.

I no longer live in MI, but I did for about 48 years. You are the type that give Michigan a bad name. Stay in your hot polluted state of Florida. Your type are not wanted.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,200 times
Actually Nephler, I don't have to give Michigan a bad name. It does that all by itself. And for all those who said I compare it to southern roads; im not. Delaware is cold. It snows, it freezes, plowed etc. I can assure you, the roads don't look like they do going down 6 mile or merriman. It is true that wayne county is the worse and does not represent Michigan as a whole. It is a bit better going further north. Don't worry Nephler, I will stay here. I enjoy warm winters, beautiful warm water, topless women (european and latin....you know the good looking weight proportionate ones of the world), smooth roads, real attractions and things to do, having big cities where you can actually walk around without getting robbed, no state tax to go to pay Kwame and impovershed Detroit, palm trees, outgoing people who actually look at you and recognize you are human, an upbeat atmosphere, and plenty more. Chow

Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
It's cute that you think you can actually compare the exceedingly mild mid-Atlantic (where I also lived) to the Great Lakes region. Really cute.

If you couldn't imagine wanting to live anywhere besides Florida, then there's really no help for you. Of course Wayne County - did you ever leave that county? - is going to be the antithesis of what you value. If Florida barometer, how in the world could you spend 2 minutes in Wayne County and not grow bitter and jaded and push people away?

I hope you enjoyed your little rant. Hopefully it let you release some of your hostility.

Have fun in the cultural and hurricane mecca of Florida.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Ok, so you don't like Michigan, but your only 2 posts are on the Michigan forum... yeah I guess that makes a lot of sense.

You know I have lived in states I have hated, but I don't go around dwelling on them, and trying to knock them at every chance that may arise. Immaturity is a hard thing to get over I guess, and letting things go is just against some peoples bitter mindset.

Comparing Michigan roads and Delaware roads is a joke, you do understand that right, Mirko? Michigan has about 122,382 miles of road (#8 in the Country) and Delaware around 6,043 miles of roads(#3 behind DC, and Hawaii). Plus they are further South and while they might get some snow and freezing it doesn't compare with even the Southern part of Michigan. Michigan is one of the top states for miles of roads and Delaware is one of the bottom 3 for miles of roads. Why not pick a state like Mass which is further north and has more road miles and larger distances to maintain those roads? Oh yeah, because their roads are not any better than Michigans. What about Maine? Oh yeah, same reason not to compare the two. You are still comparing apples to oranges. Admit it, you are bitter toward the state of Michigan and just too immature to just let it go and move on with your life.

Road miles found in the following sites.
http://www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=publications&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=27230 (broken link)
Which State Has The Most Miles Of Roads? - Science Fact Finder
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohim/hs04/pdf/hm20.pdf

Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM

If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty you CAN compare the number of miles of rough roads as measured by the US Department of Transportation/ Federal Highway Administration.

Delaware has 6043 miles of roadway of which 498 miles are classified as rough using the INTERNATIONAL ROUGHNESS INDEX (IRI). That gives you 8.24% of the roads as being rough.

Michigan has 122,382 miles of roadway of which 10,096 miles are classified as rough using the same index. That gives you 8.25% of the roads as being rough.

I guess you are right, Delaware has by 1/100 of a percentage point better roads than Michigan.

Now your beloved Florida on the other hand: let's look at your numbers shall we?
Total miles of roadway = 119,529
Total miles of rough roads using same tables and index = 10,509
Which gives you 8.79% of the roads being rough. Yea, that looks like smooth roads are the norm.

Data is here from Oct 2004 (latest that is available)

Last edited by Bydand; 02-22-2009 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 03:08 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
Oh, how fortunate we idiots are to receive advice from one of the many brilliant souls from the pinnacle of intelligence, Florida.

Have you figured out how to punch a hole in a ballot yet?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Oh, how fortunate we idiots are to receive advice from one of the many brilliant souls from the pinnacle of intelligence, Florida.

Have you figured out how to punch a hole in a ballot yet?
Come-on now, their school systems are working hard on finding a solution and should integrate it into their curriculum by 2015. In the meantime for a stop-gap measure they bring in monkeys trained in Wayne County at a special 3 year training program to assist voters at the polls... Oh wait, I see a connection here.

Did anybody else notice how we are supposed to have roads made out of 4 different materials that expand at different rates, then only 2 are named to show how stupid the State is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan