Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:50 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times

Advertisements

Why does the idea that people growing up in Michigan feel that they don't need to go to college because they can get a job with the Big 3 keep getting perpetuated? It hasn't been like that since the 1970s, and I don't think many residents seem to feel that way either. Most young people seemed to at least try college from what I'm aware of, but still, it seems like a lot of commentators continue the stereotype.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
I really hate to say this but you might need to do some research before you ask a question like this.
I did not work in a factory , but my father retired after 42 years from one. He is was a degreed skilled tradesperson. And he worked with quite a few degreed people... there reasons for working there .. they couldn't find a job that payed as well. It is what it is... or I should say it was what it was .. LOL Things are different now. Just the way you asked your question makes you sound like one of those people that think that a degree get's you everything and without one your nothing. If not I apologize.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:06 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I really hate to say this but you might need to do some research before you ask a question like this.
I did not work in a factory , but my father retired after 42 years from one. He is was a degreed skilled tradesperson. And he worked with quite a few degreed people... there reasons for working there .. they couldn't find a job that payed as well. It is what it is... or I should say it was what it was .. LOL Things are different now. Just the way you asked your question makes you sound like one of those people that think that a degree get's you everything and without one your nothing. If not I apologize.
I totally agree with you. My husband also worked in an auto factory as did two of my my brother-in-laws. Two of the three worked in skilled trades that required a degree. TV news does a disservice to auto workers when they show only the assembly plant workers. They never show the tool and die or stamping plants, etc.

And to the topic started. You're right about the stereotypes. I don't know anyone in their 20s or 30s who ever aspired to work in an auto factory. Most plants have not been hiring for a very long time, even if they did want to work in them, yet the news people portray MI young people as if they do aspire to work in the auto industry.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
I don't know anyone my age (early 20s) who works in an auto factory. Unfortunately, most young people are going to college and leaving Michigan soon afterwards.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I don't know anyone my age (early 20s) who works in an auto factory. Unfortunately, most young people are going to college and leaving Michigan soon afterwards.
Yeah , unfortunately most jobs require one now a day's. I actually saw a job posting that paid $15-17 an hour that required a degree. Now for those that spent the money to get a degree.. that is a slap in the face. I hate to get in a debate about "degreed vs non" but it seems there is a huge divide developing ...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 PM

293 posts, read 849,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah , unfortunately most jobs require one now a day's. I actually saw a job posting that paid $15-17 an hour that required a degree. Now for those that spent the money to get a degree.. that is a slap in the face. I hate to get in a debate about "degreed vs non" but it seems there is a huge divide developing ...
I actually applied for a job here in the Midland area that paid $10 an hour that not only required a bachelor's degree, but a minimum of 3.4 GPA. In light of that, suddenly my $30,000 investment in a college degree didn't seem to have paid off. When I interviewed for it, they told me they had over 100 applicants who met the criteria, too.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
I "invested" $50,000 on a useless college degree, and I can't buy a job. My friend who didn't go to college is moving up in her career. I would seriously suggest skipping or delaying college unless you hae a specific career goal in mind - doctor, lawyer, professor, etc. College is a lot of fun, but I don't know if it's worth the high cost and crushing debt.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,674 times
Like I was telling my Grandma today, the youth get treated poorly in this country. The government should be lucky that the American youth are a little bit more under control then other countries, who the youth revolt back against the government for poor treatment against them. Could you imagine how big youth riots would be in NYC, LA, Chicago, D.C. if it were to happen like the ones did in France and Greece (French politicians fear youth violence along Greek pattern - International Herald Tribune)

Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,663 times
I have to wonder when I read things like "I wasted my money in school and can't buy a job". Well, yes, in Michigan there are literally tens of thousands of displaced older more experienced workers...so who will get favor in a competitive situation? Yes, the displaced worker who perhaps doesn't have a degree, but as someone mentioned above, being young in Michigan means being poor. (Who do you see ringing your groceries at the supermarket? Its no longer 18yr olds, they are unemployed) So in Michigan, it will appear as though you "wasted" your money on education, however, move to say...Chicago, (where 4,000 positions are open on careerbuilder today) and suddenly your degree will do wonders for you. I get tired of that mantra "college is a waist of time" yip yip, if it was such a waste of time employers would not be seeking educated candidates. If you have a four year degree and are working for minimum wage...you probably live in Michigan, but if your anywhere else in the country, you either had a 1.5GPA in school, or simply aren't applying yourself. Take my "useless" degree in Sociology for example, I was employed months after graduation (2004) making a comfortable wage. No, I didn't walk into a job, I had over 50 interviews in a 6 month period, but without persistence I would also be unemployed or underemployed. And to the poster who invested 50K, I hope it was at least a UM degree for that price tag, or fancy living on leftover financial aid. I've met astounding people in my line of work who never set foot in a university and are brilliant people, I have also met many graduates of expensive schools and its amazing they can function, the point is...quality of your work, persistence, and work ethic sometimes outweighs a piece of paper.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:39 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
It really seems to me that jobs you can get w/o a degree are getting scarcer and scarcer. That is partly because of the changing landscape of US industry, partly because we've now reached the point at which a high-school diploma no longer means that you can read, write and perform the four basic computations.

Even if America does go back to manufacturing, it sure won't be making cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: