Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM

26 posts, read 43,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually I would love to see ANY vehicle that is rated to get 50MPG anywhere under any load, have the towing ability to pull a trailer that is larger than 1000 pounds. Which would equal about a washer dry set and the trailer itself. Not a whole household of stuff. Even if it only got 10 MPG while towing, it isn't going to happen; because there isn't a vehicle out there with that high of gas mileage and that high of a towing capacity.
You could be right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:56 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,195,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGeneral View Post
Why spend $2000-$3000 to move it when you can build the trailer yourself and use your vehicle to tow it.I say take all the necessary stuff including the appliances and old mattreses.It will be a very cheap trip if you also drive a car that does over 50 mpg.
To build a nice trailer a person would most likely have to have actylene torches, welders plus the fabrication skills to put it all together. Lighting, tag and registration, equiping your vehicle to accomodate towing (hitch if it doesn't already have one), and pretty soon you've gotten yourself into a project more complicated than the move itself.

I saw a nice trailer for sale around the corner and I thought , I ought to buy it for my move, but how often would I use it after the move? I'd still have to keep it tagged and registered and it can be nerve racking to tow 1200 miles. heck with it , I'm going the U-pack route. They drop off a 28 footer out front, give me 2 days to load it, hitch their tractor to it, drop it off at my destination and give me 2 days to unload, no fuel or milage charge.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,195,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's also good to consider what is worth moving. Some 6 year refrigerator that is worth $200 might not be worth taking. A lot of household stuff is not all that valuable and could be replaced when you're looking at $2000 to $3000 or more to move it.
Very true and I'm trying to make my g/f see the light on this subject.....to no avail though. If I took the bare neccessities and the expensive electronic items, I could get away with using a smaller trailer for $600, but instead I'm going to be spending $1200 to move about $300 worth of bulky crap that can be replaced on the other end.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 PM

143 posts, read 228,874 times
Default Lecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Your welcome to replace my population count out there. I just left Cali.

I'm not going to give you a lectuer. But Good Luck
Hey MKfarnam: Thanks for restraining yourself from the unsolicited lecture but now you've given rise to my curiosity?

Where in Cali were you and why did you come back to good ole Michigan?

Most folks I know who leave Michigan don't come back (unlike me who's bounced back several times now), but on these forums, it seems I'm learning I'm not alone.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:55 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,403,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDetroit View Post
Hey MKfarnam: Thanks for restraining yourself from the unsolicited lecture but now you've given rise to my curiosity?

Where in Cali were you and why did you come back to good ole Michigan?

Most folks I know who leave Michigan don't come back (unlike me who's bounced back several times now), but on these forums, it seems I'm learning I'm not alone.
First Riverside. then San Bernardino, (So, Calif.) 36yr's
I lived 25 years at the the foothills of the San Bernardino, San Jaucinto and Gorgonio Mountains.
That's the only thing I miss about California.

I didn't move back to Michigan. I moved to Oklahoma. Where the air is clean(you 'll see what I mean) and Illegal immigration is lacking, Thanks to the enforcement of immigaration Bill HR1804 and the cost of living is much lower.
That's a few reasons...

Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 PM

198 posts, read 507,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
First Riverside. then San Bernardino, (So, Calif.) 36yr's
I lived 25 years at the the foothills of the San Bernardino, San Jaucinto and Gorgonio Mountains.
That's the only thing I miss about California.

I didn't move back to Michigan. I moved to Oklahoma. Where the air is clean(you 'll see what I mean) and Illegal immigration is lacking, Thanks to the enforcement of immigaration Bill HR1804 and the cost of living is much lower.

I'm from Michigan, lived in OC California several years, also missed the mountains when I left. I came back to MI for 20 and am now in North Texas for the last 2.5 years.
Oklahoma is underrated IMHO. There are some beautiful areas I've seen as Ive driven through.

FWIW
Regards,

Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,403,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhtex View Post
I'm from Michigan, lived in OC California several years, also missed the mountains when I left. I came back to MI for 20 and am now in North Texas for the last 2.5 years.
Oklahoma is underrated IMHO. There are some beautiful areas I've seen as Ive driven through.

FWIW
Regards,
Your right, even I pictured Oklahoma as nothing but flat land. But it's more like Michigan with woodland, lakes and rolling hills. I think that's why I like OK so much is that it has so much of a resemblence of Michigan.
But Michigan has it's own special place in my heart.

Orange County,Ca. is a very nice place. But I was raised on a Dairy Farm in Michigan, so I could never stand big cities(anywhere).
Before I moved to SoCal, I ventured all over the US.
I lived South of Houston and worked for Fort Bend County Water District #2 for a while. I couldn't stand the humidity so I hit the road(on foot) and headed up toward Michigan.
I got to Chicago and jumped a freight train that was pulling out destined for San Diego. The train was zig zagging through the country so the trip took over a week. From Montana to Louisiana. They found me in Colorado and I got to ride in the caboose the rest of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan