Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Hubby and I ended up in Indiana. It was never on my radar.
This isnt my dream place and I still have a hard time adjusting to how backwards Indiana can be on things. .
That was a very very hasty generalization. How is Indiana anymore backwards than anywhere else? Last time I checked, Indiana had electricity, transportation networks, hospitals, tv, radio, cities, industry, etc. And Indianapolis is a nice and GROWING large city. So what makes it so backwards, compared to MI?? In fact, I think Michigan is pretty backwards. Answer please.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:48 PM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
That was a very very hasty generalization. How is Indiana anymore backwards than anywhere else? Last time I checked, Indiana had electricity, transportation networks, hospitals, tv, radio, cities, industry, etc. And Indianapolis is a nice and GROWING large city. So what makes it so backwards, compared to MI?? In fact, I think Michigan is pretty backwards. Answer please.......
think they had a football team win a superbowl too if i'm not mistaken

Old 11-09-2009, 07:21 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigandersrforever View Post
Other than that the job market hasnt crashed in the south but with alternative energy coming the oil companies are going to be hurting especially with the new climate laws but do what you will.
Good luck with that, my friend! It's amazing that people think a "switch" can be turned on and we suddenly won't need any oil and gas because some politician said so. No matter what the figure heads in Washington say or do oil and natural gas are going to be with us for our lifetime. What does that mean? It means that oil/gas rich states such as Texas, Oklahoma and a sprinkling of others will have more and more good paying jobs and relatively (in comparison to the rest of the country) healthy economies for years and years to come. There's a reason why Houston is a metro area of nearly 6 million people now with expectations of surpassing Chicago in population by 2020.

No, Houston (and a good portion of Texas/Oklahoma) isn't usually on the top of people's lists for a place to move to but, with the current state of the country/world, I'll take a place that has well paying, relatively stable jobs in a place that's not bitterly cold in the winter and where, in most parts of town, you can safely and affordably raise a family.

Apache, ConocoPhillips, El Paso, Anadarko, Baker Hughes, Marathon are all Houston-based fortune 500 energy companies (there are at least 10 others too) that are here to stay (and all have positions open currently).

Old 11-09-2009, 07:48 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I guess your not the only one. I've been arguing with this guy for the last 2 days on another section of CD and I get a private message today and the guy tells me I live in a small backwater MI town in MI....... his exact words. The absurdity of the statement overwhelmed me, like it's possible to live in a MI town in Nebraska?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIganderwander View Post
I love Michigan, been here all of my 37yrs, but we are moving to Oregon in August. Our family needs a change and my husband needs a job, even with a Bachelor's degree. I will miss Lake Michigan terribly.
But I think you will love Oregon. Portland is just about my fav city in the world. It's such a beautiful state.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnage View Post
I live in Royal Oak mi and have lived in Michigan all of my life. I think we should all stop paying state and federal taxes. We as tax payers are paying the state and local governments to do a job that they are frankly not doing. Im paying you taxes to bail out these millionares on wall street that got us into this mess. What about us the backbone of this country the hard working middle and lower class. These people make millions and were worried about there jobs but not the people who live week to week. Its total bull ****t!!! I am a construction worker and unless I am a mexican or willing to work for min wage I cant get work. There arnt enough jobs to go around for the people who are already here but lets keep giving out visas and not getting rid of the illegals. But hey heres some more tax money. Is anybody else wondering what the hell where doing as a country. If you want a job dont move out of state move out of country. O but the europeans are smart they wont let you just move over there and take their jobs.
Just move across the river or the lake to Canada. My son in law is a construction worker in Sault Ste Marie On and he makes great money. I think it's $27 per hour. You don't need to go to Europe. Plus we speak English here.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:13 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Good luck with that, my friend! It's amazing that people think a "switch" can be turned on and we suddenly won't need any oil and gas because some politician said so. No matter what the figure heads in Washington say or do oil and natural gas are going to be with us for our lifetime. What does that mean? It means that oil/gas rich states such as Texas, Oklahoma and a sprinkling of others will have more and more good paying jobs and relatively (in comparison to the rest of the country) healthy economies for years and years to come. There's a reason why Houston is a metro area of nearly 6 million people now with expectations of surpassing Chicago in population by 2020.

No, Houston (and a good portion of Texas/Oklahoma) isn't usually on the top of people's lists for a place to move to but, with the current state of the country/world, I'll take a place that has well paying, relatively stable jobs in a place that's not bitterly cold in the winter and where, in most parts of town, you can safely and affordably raise a family.

Apache, ConocoPhillips, El Paso, Anadarko, Baker Hughes, Marathon are all Houston-based fortune 500 energy companies (there are at least 10 others too) that are here to stay (and all have positions open currently).
Haliburton has moved some of their equipment plants from here in Duncan, Oklahoma. down to Houston, Tx.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:09 PM

16 posts, read 36,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoheJohe View Post
I think people are "going" where ever they can get a job. We are headed to Indiana one more engineering transplant leaving MI. My biggest regret is the house. We will never make what we owe on it. Homes in our suburb are going for 40k a huge drop from the 100 - 200k of 4 years ago. We are taking a huge hit, but after a year of unemployment we do not see any other alternative, farewell MI, hello IN!
I am curious,which suburb you are speaking of?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM

16 posts, read 36,595 times
Michigan became too backwards and too crazy since when big business left and small businesses are everywhere closing shop.Dare say i am being negative....

Old 11-11-2009, 08:42 PM

143 posts, read 229,309 times
I'm gearing up for move to the San Fransisco Bay Area. It is not cheap but the opportunities job and business-wise plus the weather, diversity and vibrancy of a world-class city will hopefully mean it's the right move for our family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan