Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times

Advertisements

Found this on NationalRelocation.com. Doesn't look too promising for a hairstylist

Traverse City Ethnicity Statistics

White 14,130
African American
Hispanic or Latino
Asian
American Indian or Alaska Native
Hawaiian / Pacific Islander 17
Other 92
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
Ohhhh no no...I want to reach there sometime in my lifetime, lol...

4 hours for a 1.5 hour trip?

So times that by 4 to get to Detroit then. OUCH.

I'm just thinking if I want to travel in the deep snow, it would be nice to simply get on board and let others worry about the driving. Ah well. I doubt I will have much reason to leave though.

What about getting hair done? Where in Traverse City does black people's hair? For that matter what's the percentage of the city that isn't white, and what are they?

(Yes, I was originally assuming I would need to head to Detroit about once every 2 or 3 months to get my hair done, cause the town's population says 14,000 and nothing that small usually has somebody to handle my hair)
There was a very popular resort near Baldwin years ago that catered to the black community. It's long gone, but there is still a good sized black community there, probably larger than any other area in northern Michigan. Then again, unless you could find someone to give you a ride, it is probably just as easy to go to GR or Detroit to get your hair done.

You will no doubt make friends. Hopefully for some of this stuff, you can hitch a ride for a shopping trip to GR and just give some gas money.

Here's a little info on the resort I mentioned. It's interesting I think Idlewild African American Chamber of Commerce

Old 02-26-2009, 01:12 PM
MGD MGD started this thread

122 posts, read 290,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
There was a very popular resort near Baldwin years ago that catered to the black community. It's long gone, but there is still a good sized black community there, probably larger than any other area in northern Michigan. Then again, unless you could find someone to give you a ride, it is probably just as easy to go to GR or Detroit to get your hair done.

You will no doubt make friends. Hopefully for some of this stuff, you can hitch a ride for a shopping trip to GR and just give some gas money.

Here's a little info on the resort I mentioned. It's interesting I think Idlewild African American Chamber of Commerce
Thanks! Now I've subscribed to my thread and need to add it to my Nursing/TC favourites folder for easy reference!

LOL @ michigan saying it's not too promising...wow at the headcount...I'll forget what i look like til i look down, it looks like...lmao...

Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Found this on NationalRelocation.com. Doesn't look too promising for a hairstylist

White 14,130
African American 138
Hispanic or Latino 242
Asian 117
American Indian or Alaska Native 240
Other 92
Wow I've never seen an american indian in real life...seems like these cold areas and the desert like arizona are where they are? Or maybe I just haven't been near any reservations.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

White 14,130
African American
Hispanic or Latino
Asian
American Indian or Alaska Native
Other 92
You should probably use Grand Traverse County statistics, since most people in the area don't just live in the city. It's close to 80,000 people, with about 1% African American.

I bet you could do a google search for African American salons Traverse City.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You should probably use Grand Traverse County statistics, since most people in the area don't just live in the city. It's close to 80,000 people, with about 1% African American.

I don't think you will find a salon that specializes in black hair in TC or even the county. There isn't enough call for it.

I wonder though if the local beauty school teaches students how to work with black hair though? They might, and they would be less expensive to go to too. Traverse City Beauty College -Traverse City Michigan

Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,031 times
YAY for you MGD!!!
I think what you are planning is fantastic, I have many friends who have recently become nurses or changed careers and are in nursing school...they all have jobs in MI! I know a nurse who lives in TC too...she is a nurse anesthetist
even if you don't have a facebook you can check out the photos here it is an UP north michigan fanpage
Up North - Michigan | Facebook
i love that page because EVERYONE is positive and there are fantastic photos especially of the Traverse City area!
I grew up in Cheboygan which is about 2 hours northeast of TC....TC was where we went shopping for your hair, Grand Rapids would be closer than Detroit...and this may sound weird, but there is a high Jamaican population in northern michigan in the summers (some of my very good friends are who i met in N. MI from jamaica)....They are unable to travel, so i am sure they have a way of getting hair properly done.
good luck! and man if you want any ideas of things to do let us know!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,023 times
Good luck on your career change and move to TC MGD. In regards to jobs in the area the local newspaper is called the Record Eagle. My wife is taking her pre rec's right now and I told her about your post and the school etc. Her and my kids want to move to Arizona. LOL I'd move to TC in a heartbeat. Heck people talk about how bad things are here etc but I found more jobs I was qualified for on the Record Eagle web site than I have down where I am. I've been laid off for 3 months now and the only jobs I seem to find are everywhere but here. ( downstate)

Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,898,134 times
All this talk of TC is making me crazy! As soon as my wife is done with getting her Bachelors next spring my house is going up for sale, and we are heading that way! Cant wait!!
(Unless it takes 10 years to sell our house)

Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post

True...from a poster below though, seems it's time for them to change it from african american to just plain black as the category...since some of the blacks there aren't african american, they're from somewhere else (like me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I don't think you will find a salon that specializes in black hair in TC or even the county. There isn't enough call for it.

I wonder though if the local beauty school teaches students how to work with black hair though? They might, and they would be less expensive to go to too. Traverse City Beauty College -Traverse City Michigan
I have found my hair does best with professionals but on a budget the student dressers do fine, you're right!

I was thinking there would be even one hairdresser that does black hair in a salon...not necessarily a whole salon dedicated to it. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
YAY for you MGD!!!
I think what you are planning is fantastic, I have many friends who have recently become nurses or changed careers and are in nursing school...they all have jobs in MI! I know a nurse who lives in TC too...she is a nurse anesthetist
even if you don't have a facebook you can check out the photos here it is an UP north michigan fanpage
Up North - Michigan | Facebook
i love that page because EVERYONE is positive and there are fantastic photos especially of the Traverse City area!
I grew up in Cheboygan which is about 2 hours northeast of TC....TC was where we went shopping for your hair, Grand Rapids would be closer than Detroit...and this may sound weird, but there is a high Jamaican population in northern michigan in the summers (some of my very good friends are who i met in N. MI from jamaica)....They are unable to travel, so i am sure they have a way of getting hair properly done.
good luck! and man if you want any ideas of things to do let us know!
I do have facebook, I will add them!

Wait...I'M JAMAICAN. lol. Small world. I always said we're EVERYWHERE. Now I KNOW I'm right. I figured I was going to be the only one in this little corner. Hopefully some of that Jamaican set that's in northern Michigan comes to Traverse City?

Are these black Jamaicans though? Cause we have all kinds, including very complicated mixtures with wayyyy different hair, and white Jamaicans who aren't mixed with anything, they just sound like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Good luck on your career change and move to TC MGD. In regards to jobs in the area the local newspaper is called the Record Eagle. My wife is taking her pre rec's right now and I told her about your post and the school etc. Her and my kids want to move to Arizona. LOL I'd move to TC in a heartbeat. Heck people talk about how bad things are here etc but I found more jobs I was qualified for on the Record Eagle web site than I have down where I am. I've been laid off for 3 months now and the only jobs I seem to find are everywhere but here. ( downstate)
Thanks! Seems like the city gets no shortage of good rep, aside from jobs...and even the jobs thing probly isn't as bad for me considering my new field...

I checked the record eagle...I applied to one finance person hiring an admin assistant (i have a finance background)...people don't like to hire from afar though, so I will probly end up with a job on campus which is less hassle for me to get to anyway. I also saw a financia advisor position but they want more years experience than I have, and they want me to already have the series 7 & 66 licenses already...that same job is offered by a company down here who will take me out of college, but i don't have the money for the exams, and the job is mostly commission, only partial salary the first year, and the guy told me to not expect to be able to get started for 3 or 4 months because you have to study for, schedule, and take both exams, then apply for the state license, etc....I don't have 3 or 4 months worth of money to pay my bills til a cheque comes, and God forbid I fail an exam the first time around...can't chance falling through a crack in the plans with 2 kids. And commission only after the first year is NOT the job security I am looking for with 2 kids. So that's what made me go search online and end up finding this school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
All this talk of TC is making me crazy! As soon as my wife is done with getting her Bachelors next spring my house is going up for sale, and we are heading that way! Cant wait!!
(Unless it takes 10 years to sell our house)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan