U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,885 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone lives in Grand Blanc or knows someone who does. We are looking to potentially relocate there. I heard its nice. I have driven through it a few times and it looks nice, but wanted to know what the people had to say about it. I know it borders up to Flint. outskirts of Flint, but still..

Anything you can help with. Schools, community, crime, taxes, etc.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 7,115 times
Default Grand Blanc reply

You will be happy in Grand Blanc. Many safe neighborhoods. GB has a wonderful school system. It is, however, considered a "bedroom" community. Most people live here and work somewhere else. We are sadly short on good restaurants. Nice homes are priced at a new low due to GM and Chrysler job losses.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 PM

189 posts, read 494,567 times
A very nice surburban environment. I stress suburban because it is very much the epitomy of the latest in development trends. The houses are all there, and most of the other community amenities are there as well, so it's perfect for most. But if you're one of those people that like the history and ambiance of a place, this won't be the place for you.

Everything that is important to today's yuppie generation (of which I am a part of, admittedly) is there. Schools are great, feels very safe, access to all sorts of stuff nearby, very new and inexpensive housing stock. There's just no feel to it, if you get what I mean (if not, then it's probably perfect for you). Anywhere outside of the immediate downtown area (and even most parts of downtown) could be made out of plastic it's so fake (as the "cultured" types would tell you).

Depending on where you look it will be important to judge the quality of the workmanship on the house, but for the most part everything will still be shiny and new. Up until last year they were still buying up the farms and firing up the grading equipment. As soon as the bottom fell out of the market the prices on the houses that were there were some of the hardest hit. My inlaws bought into their sub for $140k, leveraged the house up to $160k+ a couple years later, and probably would just barely break $120k if they had to sell today... and this is on a very nice (loaded) 3BR on a full acre.

I personally would love to get into GB right now.... if I could find a job around there.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:19 AM

3,832 posts, read 6,157,454 times
GB is very safe and the schools are definitely one of the better ones (however, after moving out of state, I have a hard time calling any Michigan school 'bad'). The issue with GB is that there are a lot of 'uppity' people. It occurs in the schools and just out and around in general. I worked a retail job in GB and it was miserable.
Personally, there are other area towns I would much rather live in. Davison for sure (schools are awesome, more of a community), Goodrich, Flushing, etc...

Old 09-06-2009, 05:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 17,184,512 times
The OP asked this question six months ago and hasn't been heard from since. I wonder if they're still looking or ened up moving to Grand Blanc? There's sure some good deals on housing nowadays.
Anyway, I'm with the others...safe, fairly so. Although three Grand Blanc teens were just arrested for a string of burglaries there; it's certainly not immune from crime. Schools have a good reputation. Property tax is fairly high. If manicured subdivisions, McMansions, WalMart, Kohls and easy shopping and a prestigious address is your thing, you'll like Grand Blanc.

I lived in GB for a few years...was OK. Very bland and suburban though. Blue collar, provincial attitudes with enough money to pretend they're above being blue collar and provincial; there's a lot of that in GB. When the WalMart was proposed there was public outcry and an organized effort to stop it - not really suitable for Grand Blanc, and besides it might bring them into our town, can't have that. "Them" being people from Flint and we all know what that's code for...
WalMart opened anyway and it's packed every day with Grand Blanc residents. I know someone who owns a few dollar stores and tried to open one in Grand Blanc in 2004. He was denied a permit and told by one city official that dollar stores didn't really fit the Grand Blanc image.

If I had kids and cared about schools, I'd pick any of the towns jaynarie mentioned over Grand Blanc.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 PM

850 posts, read 1,797,319 times
i was considering grand blanc because i'm trying to figure where i'd like my daughter to (eventually - she's only one) go to school. but i don't think i really want her to be in a place where the quality of people is lacking. i have spent time with these upper class/wealthy suburbanites from grand blanc (or other similar towns) and i am not impressed. they have everything. the kids want for nothing material wise, and seem to live in a world that i am not familiar with. something is lost in these types of communities. you begin to feel like you're in plasticland, and its as if the people have turned plastic too. grand blanc may have 'good' schools but if your child is surrounded by materialistic want for nothing bots what good is that? i went to the fair in grand blanc last year and i found it interesting that most of the fair goer's seemed as if they flew in from california. no thanks.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 PM

850 posts, read 1,797,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
GB is very safe and the schools are definitely one of the better ones (however, after moving out of state, I have a hard time calling any Michigan school 'bad'). The issue with GB is that there are a lot of 'uppity' people. It occurs in the schools and just out and around in general. I worked a retail job in GB and it was miserable.
Personally, there are other area towns I would much rather live in. Davison for sure (schools are awesome, more of a community), Goodrich, Flushing, etc...
i have heard davison has good schools too. same about goodrich although i wonder because of the wealth in the area. i work in flushing and i have found the people there to be extremely friendly.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:23 PM

398 posts, read 982,086 times
Grand Blanc has good schools, and is very safe, but is BORING and nondescript.

I understand why others would live there, but it would not be my first choice.

Keep in mind that taxes are high to support the good schools.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 17,184,512 times
I came close to buying a small, older house on an acre in Grand Blanc about thee years ago (in retrospect I'm really glad I didn't, although it was a great deal at the time.) The dealbreaker for me was the high property taxes...I realise they fund the good schools, but I don't have kids and while I realise they're everyone's future and all, am not well-off enough to pay extra for other people's children.

I'm glad I'm not the only one on this forum biased against well-manicured suburbia, though!

I do want to add that I know many people who live in GB and just as it's stereotyping to classify everyone who lives in Flint (I live there) as low class and trashy, it's also not fair to stereotype everyone in GB as shallow and snobby. There are some very fine, down to earth people there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Grand Blanc has good schools, and is very safe, but is BORING and nondescript.

I understand why others would live there, but it would not be my first choice.

Keep in mind that taxes are high to support the good schools.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,705 times
my son, 30 is a teacher in Flint, living in grand Blanc. Can't seem to meet any young people. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>