Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Traverse City: nursing program, boomer population, more opportunity, long term stay

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM
MGD MGD started this thread

122 posts, read 289,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Too bad. It is a good time to buy up here, if you're looking at that. I've lost "deposits" too when I rented. For no apparent reason. IMO, I think deposits should be illegal, since they're often never returned, and the landlords rarely held accountable. They know it costs more to get a lawyer to get it back.

Are you from Florida? I grew up in Louisiana. I'd take 6 months of winter up here over 6 months of heat and humidity down there. I really do think the quality of life in Michigan if far better than most places in the South, and better than parts of rural Oregon where we moved here from. It's different, but I bet you're going to like TC. I'm still shocked at how much money there in in Michigan too. The TC area has tons of it, especially in the summer. It's been declining though. It'll be interesting to see what happens this summer. Since it is such a tight knit community, people really look out for each other. Even though the people are hard to figure out up here, they DO really care about their communities, which is a nice change from out West where no one has very deep roots.

Here's a link to the local newspaper if you don't already have it:
Traverse City Record-Eagle - Home

Good luck.
No I'm from the islands. Thanks for the news link.

And NOOOOOOOO not looking to buy any form of real estate whatsoever...I am GLAD GLAD GLAD I am not tied down to a mortgage right now...renting does have it's benefits...such as being able to break the lease when catastrophes happen...

I do hope house values stay depressed for like 5 years though so i can get settled in a job and get at least an investment property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Sounds like a jerk you could have problems with. I'd do some googling and find out what your rights are and do it by the letter of the law. I wouldn't have signed nothing, he might be able to come back later on and say that you didn't give a 60 day since he negotiated it into other terms, then you may be responsible for paying rent until he re-rents. I'd clean up the place spotless and before I returned the keys let him know I expect him to sign a letter saying that I don't owe you anything and that the place was left in excellent condition.
No I signed the letter I typed and he made a copy of it for his files...and technically it is a good solution to the problem because then I don't have to worry about getting the deposit back from long distance.

I haven't signed it yet.

My only issue with it is that it leaves me the issue of where to live for April. The college in TC has a 2bedroom open now, but as summer financial aid doesn't kick in yet, I would then have to come up with not just the deposit, but one month of rent...and as of right now I don't have that.

I am working on finding a solution...was trying not to interrupt my son's schooling midsemester leave beginning of may with 4 weeks to go wouldn't have been as bad, I thought, cause they are not going to teach vast new amounts of new things when the semester is winding down)...however, if I am forced to move out end of this month, trying to find somewhere to stay down here for a month with my things then uproot again doesn't make much sense...might as well find a way to make it a clean sweep and just hit the highway after I drop the keys off.

Oh, and he can't dare say I left it worse than i got it because i wasn't even able to movein the first 2 weeks of my lease due to a huge plumbing problem that noone was aware of that flooded out the living room ceilng the day after i moved all my boxes in and messed up a whole bunch of boxes and contents in the living room. And because the owner was trying to be cheap he would have himself and friends come do it when they got off work...and took their sweet time...matter of fact that guy had said the days i was unable to live in there he would pay that portion of my utility bill for January...I haven't mentioned anything about it yet although the owner might just not answer his phone if he realizes it's me, especially since I am breaking lease...but if they dare try to charge me anything after I'm gone I'll be bringing that back up and reminding them I was kind enough to not SUE for the damage to my things, which include irreplaceable pictures among other things!

Since I already decided to leave this is just extra push...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
As has been stated a thousand times before in this forum, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, your opinion is being covered ad nauseum everywhere you go. The newspapers, the radio, the TV, everywhere in Michigan. You can't go anywhere without people talking about it. So if you happen upon this forum and think that people are in denial, perhaps people are just looking for an outlet where they don't have to think about it 24 hours a day, and can just share good memories and good aspects of Michigan, and actually "help" people (a foreign concept to some).

My apologies MGD for my rant.
No problem. I understood both points of view...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 AM

850 posts, read 1,893,364 times
i would not pay your last months rent (screw that landlord) and use it for traverse! (i didn't read everything so i'm not sure if you could). unless you want good credit, but i think if it were me i wouldn't worry about credit as much for now.....
let us know when you get to traverse! i think lots of people are rooting for you and we'll want to know you're doing alright!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
i would not pay your last months rent (screw that landlord) and use it for traverse! (i didn't read everything so i'm not sure if you could). unless you want good credit, but i think if it were me i wouldn't worry about credit as much for now.....
let us know when you get to traverse! i think lots of people are rooting for you and we'll want to know you're doing alright!
Thanks.

I actually don't mind just getting out of here already, but how to afford whatever is the place next month is still unresolved...

And I didn't sign their thing yet...just in case something comes up that I had not thought of...

Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 11,691 times
Default In response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
As has been stated a thousand times before in this forum, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, your opinion is being covered ad nauseum everywhere you go. The newspapers, the radio, the TV, everywhere in Michigan. You can't go anywhere without people talking about it. So if you happen upon this forum and think that people are in denial, perhaps people are just looking for an outlet where they don't have to think about it 24 hours a day, and can just share good memories and good aspects of Michigan, and actually "help" people (a foreign concept to some).
Magellan, your point is well taken. I know the negativity is everywhere, and I don't like promulgating it as my earlier post might suggest. However, my original thread, which was closed by the moderator was an attempt to provide clarity to those who frequent this site looking for an honest answer about our state and the Detroit metro area. I did not mean to be such a downer, but I think we owe it to the people who are considering one of the biggest decisions of their lives (relocating to another part of the country) the sincere, candid truth about Michigan. I attempted to cast light on some of the many problems this state faces through a little history and empirical facts and data. It is too bad my thread was prematurely closed as I expected many of the bright, positive-minded people on this site to counter my position with all of the great things going for Michigan. I certainly believe that the divergent viewpoints in this forum are what makes the information here so valuable to others.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 PM

693 posts, read 2,254,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
I am not moving to Michigan for a job, I am moving for school and because the school I am going to is the only one in the 50 states (disclaimer: that I can find ONLINE) that meets everything I need.

I am moving to NW Michigan, Traverse City, and mine is one of the RARE "moving to Michigan" threads that has miraculously gained nearly unanimous support for the move.

I will be a nurse when I am done with school in 2 years...the economy will not be out of the hellhole it's in, in a mere two years, but nurses can get jobs nearly anywhere, people in Michigan who are, or are married to nurses, have assured me that is the one profession NOT feeling the pain of Michigan's woes.

If nursing in Michigan doesn't work, there was already a company here where I am (florida) that told me already that all i have to do is show them that I have been accepted to a nursing program and they will pay $7,000 towards my nursing education, every $2,000 of which equals a year of working for them (aka I've basically been offered a job as a walkin!). The nurse recruiter told me to go get an acceptance and call her back when I do, she gave me her card.

So, I know my future on that note, whether staying in Michigan (and traverse city looks like I might fall in love unless i hate the winters), or returning here with a job in hand...cause the only reason I am leaving is the many problems unemployment creates for me with children and no job.

So I think your advice was made from the right intentions...but yes, your post was about detroit...and about people moving for work without a job in hand. I don't move anywhere, job or not, without a whooooole lot of research, and I hope no one else does either, whether michigan or anywhere else...

I agree that Nursing is one of the most solid opportunities in Michigan, however to say that is is "completely" recession proof is going a bit far. Many hospitals in Michigan are facing tremendous budget deficits due to millions and millions in unpaid medical bills. My mother, who has been a ER nurse for 15 years is now feeling the trickle down effects of Michigan's economy (she is employed at UM Hospital). Benefits are slowly being eroded, overtime is no longer accepted, and new hires have half the benifits.

Am i saying this is happening across the country? No, I would just tread carefully if you plan to stay in Michigan...and if you do...pick a hospital that is a not for profit organization. These hospitals are exempt form paying local taxes and are much more financially sound at the current time. My mother is looking to retire outside of Michigan, and she has found even with her experience (and Masters degree) in nursing, some of the best benifits are offered at small care homes, rather than large hospitials.

Good Luck to you and your family!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,809,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
Magellan, your point is well taken. I know the negativity is everywhere, and I don't like promulgating it as my earlier post might suggest. However, my original thread, which was closed by the moderator was an attempt to provide clarity to those who frequent this site looking for an honest answer about our state and the Detroit metro area. I did not mean to be such a downer, but I think we owe it to the people who are considering one of the biggest decisions of their lives (relocating to another part of the country) the sincere, candid truth about Michigan. I attempted to cast light on some of the many problems this state faces through a little history and empirical facts and data. It is too bad my thread was prematurely closed as I expected many of the bright, positive-minded people on this site to counter my position with all of the great things going for Michigan. I certainly believe that the divergent viewpoints in this forum are what makes the information here so valuable to others.
That's fine if you want to offer advice telling people not to move here. But don't start an entire thread on your one viewpoint. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:00 AM

504 posts, read 2,171,965 times
Hospitals are hurting everywhere. My former employer recently laid off a shocking amount of people, including nurses. That's on the West Coast. I don't think there's an industry that isn't hurting right now. It's still a good job though, and usually the health insurance benefits are so much better than most places.

As a mom, the worst part of my job was finding childcare for those many odd hours that you have to work.... evenings, nights, holidays, week-ends, on-call spur of the moments shifts. My husband travels sometimes for 3 months out of the year, and without family, near by, it got to be impossible. Also, I often had to miss a lot of their activities, since they were frequently scheduled for those parents who had a 9-5 job. Especially just starting off, you usually get the crummy shifts, but if you have a spouse who doesn't travel, it can be great, because you can work opposite shifts and someone will always be home with the kids.

Anyway, considering the huge baby boomer population that'll be needing more and more care, plus so many of them will be retiring from the health care industry too, it's a good choice of career.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenDweller82 View Post
I agree that Nursing is one of the most solid opportunities in Michigan, however to say that is is "completely" recession proof is going a bit far. Many hospitals in Michigan are facing tremendous budget deficits due to millions and millions in unpaid medical bills. My mother, who has been a ER nurse for 15 years is now feeling the trickle down effects of Michigan's economy (she is employed at UM Hospital). Benefits are slowly being eroded, overtime is no longer accepted, and new hires have half the benifits.

Am i saying this is happening across the country? No, I would just tread carefully if you plan to stay in Michigan...and if you do...pick a hospital that is a not for profit organization. These hospitals are exempt form paying local taxes and are much more financially sound at the current time. My mother is looking to retire outside of Michigan, and she has found even with her experience (and Masters degree) in nursing, some of the best benifits are offered at small care homes, rather than large hospitials.

Good Luck to you and your family!
I will keep that in mind, but some benefits and good pay is a good sight better than no job and no prospects of one anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Hospitals are hurting everywhere. My former employer recently laid off a shocking amount of people, including nurses. That's on the West Coast. I don't think there's an industry that isn't hurting right now. It's still a good job though, and usually the health insurance benefits are so much better than most places.

As a mom, the worst part of my job was finding childcare for those many odd hours that you have to work.... evenings, nights, holidays, week-ends, on-call spur of the moments shifts. My husband travels sometimes for 3 months out of the year, and without family, near by, it got to be impossible. Also, I often had to miss a lot of their activities, since they were frequently scheduled for those parents who had a 9-5 job. Especially just starting off, you usually get the crummy shifts, but if you have a spouse who doesn't travel, it can be great, because you can work opposite shifts and someone will always be home with the kids.

Anyway, considering the huge baby boomer population that'll be needing more and more care, plus so many of them will be retiring from the health care industry too, it's a good choice of career.
Thanks for the headsup...i don't have a spouse at the moment, but where i am going has 4 daycares that are 24 hours with 2 of them open on weekends as well...and while I know the newbies generally get the night shift, that shift gets more money too...7pm to 7am 3 days a week means i may not get to do all the afterschool activities...but i can still see them between when school lets out and it' time to go off to work...and help with homework, and do dinner...right now i can't afford any afterschool activities because of no job...so it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other as far as missing out on extracurriculars but i'd rather choose the version where i am employed...

I'll keep in mind looking at the type of place to work for though...in the end i think as a beginning nurse hospitals give more well rounded experiences if you are floating around to different departments...critical care nurses and surgical nurses aren't going to be as needed at a private doctor's office as, say, a hospital...just from my research i could be wrong though.

Also, much like teachers in michigan, maybe older nurses aren't going to find as much opportunities because hospitals have to pay them more? They can pay me the entry level and it will still be better than the zero i make now. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan