Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 7,828 times

Advertisements

In Michigan, What rights do I have if Vendee of contract abandons the home (by not only leaving but failure to pay)? Also how long before Vendor has rights to take home back or go forward with action (what do I do next)?

(Newbee)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Best to consult your contract and lawyer if necessary. Internet forum isn't going to give much GOOD advice that you can bet on. Some good advice maybe, but telling the difference is the key. Consult a pro.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mif1226 View Post

In Michigan, What rights do I have if Vendee of contract abandons the home (by not only leaving but failure to pay)? Also how long before Vendor has rights to take home back or go forward with action (what do I do next)?

(Newbee)
I'm no lawyer, but I've been involved with 2 land contracts and am about to enter into another one in South Carolina. With my first land contract, the vendee failed to pay and we went thru the foreclosure process against them, took the home back and resold it to someone else.

What do you do next? Contact an attorney and start foreclosure proceedings.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,301 times
what if the seller abandons home and appers 6yrs later wanting all his money

Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
The typical advice is to check with a qualified real estate attorney. That is especially good advice if the Land Contract, or Memorandum of Land Contract, has been recorded.

But there are other steps that you should take. If they've left owing you money, chances are that you'll never hear from them again. Make sure that the house is secure. Change the locks; clear out any debris; and make sure the house remains heated or winterize it.

If they've left owing you money, they may have left other bills for you, too. If the water bill hasn't been paid, or if back taxes are due--you're stuck with those expenses.

Try to contact them to see if they will sign a Quit Claim Deed relinquishing their interest. Tell them that if they do so you will not go after them for any attorney fees or back payments. If they owe on some of the bills that you'll be stuck with, see if they will pay those...but don't hold your breath.

If no evidence of the Land Contract was recorded--and they are long gone--I'd just put the house back on the market. You may want to go through the formality of foreclosure, but the odds are that you won't have a problem with them trying to claim any interest in the property. It's risk-reward decision. It costs time and money to do things "legally", but more-often-than-not, deadbeats don't stick around to cause further problems lest they be hit with further expenses.

Do what's within your comfort level. Otherwise, just get an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan