Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM

13 posts, read 45,513 times

Advertisements

Thanks Bydand! I am packing right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
I recently left northern Michigan and find myself really missing it. Everytime I see those ads that are playing nationally I pine for it. I've always felt the Great Lakes are a completely unique ecosystem in all the world and always felt like I was privy to a secret not many people knew about.

I mean, just think about it. A vast maritime culture and beach / tourist town culture sitting in the middle of the Midwest.

If you ask me, Michigan would do well to use this crisis to end its days as a dirty industrial hub and state prone to auto-dependent sprawl and launch a new era as a pristine place where the renewable technologies are manufactured, where widely regarded theatre and film and art are created, and where the waters are really clean.

I know there are already efforts underway to do this, but it'd be nice if we could all reimagine our state.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:45 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I recently left northern Michigan and find myself really missing it. Everytime I see those ads that are playing nationally I pine for it. I've always felt the Great Lakes are a completely unique ecosystem in all the world and always felt like I was privy to a secret not many people knew about.

I mean, just think about it. A vast maritime culture and beach / tourist town culture sitting in the middle of the Midwest.

If you ask me, Michigan would do well to use this crisis to end its days as a dirty industrial hub and state prone to auto-dependent sprawl and launch a new era as a pristine place where the renewable technologies are manufactured, where widely regarded theatre and film and art are created, and where the waters are really clean.

I know there are already efforts underway to do this, but it'd be nice if we could all reimagine our state.
I agree...it is actually pretty amazing that Americans HAVE MAPS...see the large bodies of water sitting right there...see this state surrounded by it...yet still hear the word 'Michigan' and have almost zero in their mind at the thought of whats there...

I've lived outside of Michigan for about 15 years, and most get the place confused with all the other M-states...and if they do realize its Midwest, they quickly associate with cornfields instead of the Great Lakes.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally posted by timeofseasons
Well Michigan may relate more to the upper midwest ( Minnesota, Wisconsin).
I agree with this. Michigan reminds me much more of Wisconsin and Minnesota than Indiana and Iowa--especially north of the Grand Rapids and Lansing.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:02 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Rats. Must spread reputation around before I can give any to bluefly again.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Let me ask you this guys.

Would you consider the culture of Michigan closely related other Midwest states? Or is it something completely different?
Similar in many ways with the exception of the urban blights that dot the state. Rural Michigan is great. The urban areas are all too often crime-infested crapholes. Soak up the diversity!!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:10 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
MI is similar to ALL states when it comes to "urban blight dots".

Come to Phoenix; you'd be amazed.

There are many more "bright dots" around the state (in MI) that make these pleasant peninsulas a great place.

Go Tigers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan