Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Michigan next largest city?
Grand Rapids 15 88.24%
Lansing 0 0%
Kalamazoo 0 0%
Ann Arbor 2 11.76%
Flint 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
SWV SWV started this thread

445 posts, read 1,337,222 times

Advertisements

As Michigan's largest city?
The population of Detroit is decreasing dramatically (which is sad because I love that city.) But Grand Rapids population is increasing inch by inch. I may not see it in my life time but I think Grand Rapids or another city may replace Detroit as Michigan's largest city!

What do you think? Also, suggest some cities that you think has a chance of replacing Detroit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 01:47 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
As Michigan's largest city?
The population of Detroit is decreasing dramatically (which is sad because I love that city.) But Grand Rapids population is increasing inch by inch. I may not see it in my life time but I think Grand Rapids or another city may replace Detroit as Michigan's largest city!

What do you think? Also, suggest some cities that you think has a chance of replacing Detroit!
If it did it would take decades, remember Detroit's population is still almost 900,000 people. I smell some change in the air though, any city that has had the blows like Detroit would take long to recoup, but I think the tide is beginning to turn. Detroit, compared to other Michigan cities is ancient, lots of rich history, and culture, it simply has been attacked by the media...which is the crack cocaine of America. I honestly see Detroit beginning to change in the next 5 years, I do think it will be revived within the next 20.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Well, GR has the abiliity, but I personally hope it doesn't get as big as Detroit. I like it about where it is. Just enough city, just enough countryside. I'm happy with it being Michigan's second city because I already think it's the best.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:08 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
No, absolutely not. Detroit was one of America's great cities once upon a time, and will be again. The segregation walls between the city and the suburbs must come down in order for it to happen, but I am more than confident that it will. Grand Rapids is a great town as well, and I enjoy spending time there, but it will never overtake Detroit as Michigan's premier city.

I've lived all over this country and I've endured the seemingly endless venom aimed at Detroit - much of it admittedly deserved - but I will never stop believing that my hometown and favorite city in the world can reinvent itself.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:11 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well, GR has the abiliity, but I personally hope it doesn't get as big as Detroit. I like it about where it is. Just enough city, just enough countryside. I'm happy with it being Michigan's second city because I already think it's the best.
I agree, I hope not. If it became one big sprawlburb from Lowell to the lakeshore, it would be horrible. There's nothing good about endless stretches of I-696, 275, 94 and 75 lined by a bunch of ugly suburban style office buildings, nothing. If it grew more like European style cities (dense urban areas), than it'd be OK.

It would still take 50 years at the current rate.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
Two questions in one...

Grand Rapids City (200,000ppl, 45 square miles) vs. Detroit City (800,000ppl, 140 square miles)
This should never happen. It would either mean Grand Rapids had the density of Hong Kong, or Detroit would be a completely empty rotting corpse (it's already frighteningly empty... imagine if it shurnk that much). Neither scenario is good for the state of Michigan.

Grand Rapids Metro (700,000-1.2 million people depending on how you draw the boundaries) vs. Detroit Metro (4.7 million people)
This would require Grand Rapids to essentially turn into one giant sprawling suburbia from Lowell to Muskegon. That would be a disaster. Some of the state's best farmland is in this area. I would hate to see the loss of all those blueberries and apples (just for starters), not to mention the overall negative change in quality of life. Alternatively if Detroit shrank down to a size where GR could challenge it for metro population, Michigan would be in receivership and our public schools would all be shut down (or something equally tragic). There's no good way for metro Detroit to shed a couple million residents. Talk about a disaster!

So, that's my long way of saying "I sure hope Grand Rapids is never as big as Detroit."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan