Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:10 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with you about TC vs AZ. Has she read about the education stats? And trust me, most people get just as fed up with the constant intense sun and dry heat as they would with the snow and cold temps. TC is very family friendly, very low cost to buy a house, TONS of stuff to do. There's even Interlocken that attracts great music nearby. A great hospital, etc... Water is going to be an even bigger player in our country's natural resources, and MI certainly has plenty of it. Plus, I've talked to health care workers from AZ and NM and they overwhelmingly didn't enjoy working there, mainly due to the stress the illegal aliens place on the healthcare industry down there. Same with the schools.

What about a place "in between", like say Colorado?

I'd suggest a good marriage counselor to be honest with you. Sounds like you're at an impasse. At least you both seem to want to leave the area you're in, so that's a start. Sometimes it's hard to have TOO many choices, but it sounds like you do, and that's a good thing.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 05:19 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I appreciate the thoughts and suggestion. The big issue is that we DO NOT agree on anything when it comes to moving. I feel I have more legitimate reasons NOT to move to Arizona than she has for NOT wanting to move up north. I was at least open to trying Arizona, things we had planned at the time just did not work out. ( A sign if you ask me) Since then I have read a lot about the state and just don't feel it's a good fit for us. TC is about as big a city as I'd like to live. Safe with good schools. # 1 reason I would not think twice about moving there. Az? Worst schools in the country, overpopulated cities and serious drug and illegals issues. I have 2 kids and I put them first. I think they would love TC, and I also feel it would grow on my wife if given the chance. But she is just so dead set against it I can't figure it out.
So...she wants to be in Scottsdale? Did I read that correctly?
If your kids are out of school (AZ schools are notoriously bad), she loves 100 degree plus days for months on end, likes to see and breathe that brown/orange air pollution cloud hanging daily over Phoenix, and loves to duke it out on overcrowded roads with the 4 million people in the Metro area, then Phoenix (let's face it, Scottsdale IS Phoenix, only more expensive to live in) is her kinda place.
I love the Southwest, live in NM for 6 months a year and a half hour from Traverse City the other 6. I've spent over 30 years crawling all over the Southwest. I enjoy my 2 or 3 day visits to Scottsdale. But Phoenix, or anywhere in the Valley of the Sun, is no place I'd ever want to live for any reason...ever.
Read this short paragraph from Wiki:
Located in the northeastern reaches of the Sonoran Desert, Phoenix has the most extreme climate of any major city in the United States. The average high temperatures are over 100 °F (38 °C) for almost five months out of the year, and have spiked over 120 °F (49 °C) on occasion.
What part of that says Paradise on Earth????

There must be more to it than "this sounds like a cool place to live".

Sure, the kids would have a much easier time scoring Crystal Meth and coke in AZ than they would in TC, and they'd get a real education in gangs and the cholo (look it up) life, but I don't see that as a compelling reason to take the family there. They can take correspondence cholo classes and score pot from a kid in school in TC, though they might have to wait until college to see a drive-by shooting live and in person.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
[CENTER][LEFT][LEFT][CENTER][LEFT][LEFT] #35
Today, 03:07 PM
[SIZE=5]JDTH[/SIZE]
befriend
[SIZE=2]Status:[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]"No good, can't speak, wound up, no sleep." [/SIZE](set 2 hours ago)[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
72 posts, read 9,028 times

We made it to 100 today officially at 3:00 PST.

In Phoenix the temperature reaches or exceeds 100 °F on an average of 110 days during the year, including most days from late May through early September, and highs top 110 °F an average of 18 days during the year. On June 26, 1990, the temperature reached an all-time recorded high of 122 °F. I remember that day well. I was working outside driving heavy equipment with no AC. They closed down Phoenix Sky Harbor airport that day because the planes could not get enough lift to ensure a safe take off.

[+] Rate this post positively

[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]
THIS POST WAS IN NEW MEXICO THREAD TODAY, FROM A PHOENIX RESIDENT. SOUNDS NICE HUH??

Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
ask her whats so great about scottsdale, what does it have no other place can offer. and why is it the only place she will consider. she might think northern michigan is to far off the beaten path, and full of hicks. or maybe she just yearns for a big city ozzing with the charms of endless parking lots, strip malls, fast food chains, cookie cutter suburban housing, crowded roads, and a nearly treeless landscape. sounds delightful doesnt it?

if it were me i would ask her directly why it has to be scottsdale. compromise is part of life, and certainly marriage. maybe you find another place to suit you both. good luck to you.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
It comes down to family and her being insecure. She feels if we have or are around family she would feel better. I honestly don't get it. I've never had to truly count on anyone so much I had to plan my life around where they were located. I have 2 brothers in Scottsdale. After a trip out there last year her and the kids became Arizona wanna be's. After a long talk yesterday I think I got my point across as to what I DON'T like about Arizona. She said she is not opposed to up north, just not ready right now. She want's to finish school where she has a little support from friends and people she knows. Maybe some day it will happen. Doubtful but maybe.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times
Ah, family... We've never lived near family, but I have also always wanted to. That chages the equation. My family is all way down South and I have no desire at all to live down there. But my DH has a job where he couldn't get a job near family if he wanted to (they all live in big cities, he works in the woods), so it's not even an option for us.

I must admit that we went to Scottsdale about 10 years ago, and there are nice things about it. I LOVED all of the citrus growing down there. We had grapefruit trees in the yard where we stayed. I couldn't believe all of the oranges and other citrus we saw just rotting on the ground... sort of like apple trees and apples up here... We were also there in the winter which is like being up here only in the summer.

After growing up in Louisiana and living in S Oregon many years, I'm very content with the weather up here.

Good luck. Come up and visit on the week-ends....

Old 04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Excuse me, I'm from AZ.

I gotta get the pool ready for our party tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Yooper in Arizona.

See ya in July....

118 degrees does get scary....

Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
I am a former Michigander who is considering moving back, but NOT to the Detroit area where I grew up (Berkley). Too dangerous to be so close to Detroit anymore..

Currently, I have lived in both the Phoenix area and Tucson for the last 10 years. Although it is a nice place to visit, the extreme summer temperatures make it really difficult. In Tucsn, 105 every day, and in the Phoenix area, about 112 every day..Very mild during the winter.

DO NOT bring kids to either area unless they are mature enough to avoid the Gangmember mentality, as it is a way of life here..WAY too many illegals that are into the Gang lifestyle, which revolves around Drugs, Crime and SEX-Fully expect your 13 year old to be the Belle of the Ball if they fall for that crap..

Personally, the only good things here anymore are the lack of Skeeters and the extended boating season..

Also beware of Valley Fever-It is rampant and can be deadly..I lost part of a lung to it PLUS it damaged 40% of my nerve function on the right side...

I think you are lucky to be where you are.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 AM

22 posts, read 33,297 times
Some people just do not like 5 foot snow in January. Personally I would put up with the heat in the summer against the cold of Michigan’s winters. They are long, gray and to darn cold. For those who try to hard to explain why Michigan is so much better, it looks like you are trying to hard and there is something you are not saying. You don't hear people in Hawaii trying to convince others how nice the weather is, if some place is great it convinces people on its own merits and does not need Hawkers.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsucker View Post
Some people just do not like 5 foot snow in January. Personally I would put up with the heat in the summer against the cold of Michigan’s winters. They are long, gray and to darn cold. For those who try to hard to explain why Michigan is so much better, it looks like you are trying to hard and there is something you are not saying. You don't hear people in Hawaii trying to convince others how nice the weather is, if some place is great it convinces people on its own merits and does not need Hawkers.
It doesnt matter who is trying to convince who or why. Most people live where they live because they want to. Im sure most people tend to gravitate to where they feel they belong eventually, if possible. Personally, I dont know how anyone could convince ANYONE to move somewhere just because that person likes it. I could have a million people down south, and out west try to tell me why I should move there but it would do no good. I love the Cold, the hot and everything in between. This is the perfect place for people like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan