U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 PM

54 posts, read 127,739 times

Advertisements

so we are getting married!! The 2 of us are both outdoor lovers, and hate conventionalism.Do you have any ideas for our wedding? Something that will still make me feel like the princess and him like the man he is, with the addition of class.
Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 PM

92 posts, read 345,807 times
A friend of mine had a beautiful outdoor wedding, she came rowing across a small lake in a small row boat with her father. The brides maids came just before her in a larger row boat rowed by some of the groomsman. It was dusk and they had torches lite all around. It was beautiful. Her groom was waiting for her, He lifted her out of the boat so her dress didn't get wet.They were Scottish and he wore a kilt, all the grooms men did. They looked too sexy. Her Uncle married them. They had a bagpiper, and they did a hand fast thing with a cloth wrapped around their hands. It was right out of a book. It was so beautiful I felt like I was a part of Braveheart. Then after the wedding they road over to the reception on a white horse borrowed for the occasion. They had a large tent for the reception and it was all lite with Christmas lights. It was so pretty. They had flower every where.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 PM

563 posts, read 1,330,109 times
I went to a lovely wedding in Utah, staged in the mountains at 9,300 feet of elevation. The air was fresh and crisp and the views were spectacular! I spotted a herd of elk running the ridgeline as we were seated. The beautiful bride came down the "aisle" made of green grass and lined with huge elk antler sheds. Bride and groom exchanged vows under an arch made of huge elk antlers. It was unique, very outdoorsy, the bride was lovely and the groom as masculine as can be!
Very memorable.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:27 PM

278 posts, read 943,657 times
We had an outdoor Renassance wedding in October. It was set at an herb farm. Colors were great and it was cool enough so everyone wasnt sweating..lol

Old 04-18-2009, 09:33 PM

541 posts, read 922,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
We had an outdoor Renassance wedding in October. It was set at an herb farm. Colors were great and it was cool enough so everyone wasnt sweating..lol
I went to a wedding at an "herb farm"...i think,well there were "herb's" there,i do remember that much...and munchies,definetly remeber the munchie's

Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 AM

16 posts, read 60,368 times
My husband and I were married on the beach last June in Mackinaw City, overlooking the Mackinac Bridge. Our reception was on a boat - a sunset cruise. We kept it small and everyone had a fantastic time.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 PM

29,493 posts, read 71,260,724 times
Do you know a minister who can water ski? How about getting married in freefall on the way down from an airplane? You could pull each other's rip cords. I had planned ot leave our wedding in a hot air balloon and hopefully end up at the reception eventually. However the place where we got married was too windy and hot air balloons cannot fly there. I still think that would be neat.

You could get married somewhere up high in the Ren Can, it looks like it may be empty before too long and you could have a whole floor to yourselves.

On a more realisic note. Kensington Metropark has some beautiful areas. My favorite is Labadie island, but you woudl need to have someone mow it and clean it up first. (I did that years ago for a party). They probably would not want you mowing out there, but I dropped off a friend each day with a lawn mower who mowed, trimmed brush, cleaned the bathrooms and even planted some flowers. It was a great party beacuse the island is only accessible by boat or swimming. Kensington also has a nice Pavillion and a great peninsula with the highest point int he park (I think it is called Turtle Rock, but I may have the area names mixed up.

The cruise boat out of Detroit might be nice.

It would be hard to get there and th eminister woudl need to be very loud, but I always though Taquamenon falls would be a great background for a wedding. Most people woudl find a nice place on shore, but I woudl want to wade out into the lower falls. That would be great.

Greenfield villiage woudl be a neat place for a wedding.

Now you know why I was not allowed much input into the planning of our wedding.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM

902 posts, read 1,787,557 times
I went to a wedding in Frankenmuth at the Bavarian Inn a few years ago . It's pretty unique especially if you have out of town guests , they can stay right there . The bride and groom (I'm sure you'd have to pay for it ) were picked up by a carriage and white horse and taken for a ride around the town and Inn grounds , their names were on the billboard at the Inn , nice dining area for a reception , spaceous lobby , very nice rooms .
Bavarian Inn of Frankenmuth :: Weddings at Bavarian Inn Lodge Frankenmuth, Michigan

Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 PM

939 posts, read 2,510,112 times
This is the nicest place I'm aware of in Northern Michigan for a wedding as far as quality of cuisine, facilities, etc. If your guests can dress nicely, this would be a good choice.

Frog Pond Village - Northern Michigan Wedding Chapel ~ Reception & Outdoor Wedding Ceremony

Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,527,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeeileen View Post
It was so beautiful I felt like I was a part of Braveheart.
Minus the jus prima nocta, I hope.

Why not get married at Tahquamenon Falls? It's an incredible spot with great photo angles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan