Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:48 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times

Advertisements

I do not blame any party system unless one wishes to blame ALL party systems. Granholm was handed one heck of a mess, the origins of which go back several decades.
I think she has done a remarkable job considering what she was given to work with, at the point in history/time she was given it to work with.
Has she made some errors? Last I knew she IS human and thus will make mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
what the........? do you have a link showing the actual statistics to these 'dilapidated' facilities/state parks? don't you think that's stretching it a little? don't come to michigan because there isn't brand new docks at the state parks

forget nature! i came for the docks!
Here ya go...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2009904230341

Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Yeah, that "Cool City" campaign was pure genius.
I know of a couple cities (including my current one) that it helped create jobs in.

Quote:
Ya know, out here in AZ we get bombarded with Michigan vacation commercials, yet we all know that every single state recreation area is falling apart. Rickety docks, poor roads, and dilapidated facilities.
Are we talking about the same state here? My wife and I are avid hikers, make extensive use of our state recreation areas in both the lower and upper peninsulas and I have NO idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
One alarmist news story. We all know how accurate and unbiased the media is

Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I spend a lot of time around Michigan during the summer. As much and often as I can. I have no idea what he is talking about. In my area they are building state of the art bridges for new bike paths. That may be a city thing, or county I'm not sure. But our parks to my knowledge still shine and continue to be a bright spot in our state.

Also if I was not clear enough I do not blame Grandholm 100% I do agree she should have done more to stop the flow out of the state. I always wondered why with so many farmers here in Michigan and GM, FORD and Chrysler right here in OUR backyard, how is it we are not leading the way for production of E85? I read an article that said the Governor in Indian I think it was stuck a deal with GM regarding E85 facilities, and everyone in the town got some kind of discount buying a car that uses E85 or something like that. I don't recall all the facts. But found it a bit disturbing none the less.
Oh yeah, Highland State Recreation Area is a true gem.

Tops on my list the next time I come back.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:06 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
I know of a couple cities (including my current one) that it helped create jobs in.

Light bulb changers?

Are we talking about the same state here? My wife and I are avid hikers, make extensive use of our state recreation areas in both the lower and upper peninsulas and I have NO idea what you are talking about.

Check out other state's parks. Pathetic.

One alarmist news story. We all know how accurate and unbiased the media is
MI's State Parks have been going downhill for a very long time. I've enjoyed the park system there for 40 years....albeit the dilapidated conditions. The real issue here is makin' 'em better.

I'm just sayin'....

Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 AM

850 posts, read 1,898,619 times
Quote:
i've got state parks all around me, and i haven't seen anything like what is described. surely the authors of this article have stayed in every single state park, analyzed every structure in them.......they give about 5 examples. 5 examples out of 90 some state parks? ok.
anyhoo....i guess my point was that who cares if things aren't new. i don't. i'll still enjoy the parks. also the article in your link doesn't really give a breakdown of all state parks, it basically picks the worst examples and claims every park in michigan is falling apart. sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:48 AM

217 posts, read 607,897 times
You can nit pick anything about any state park, I'm sure. Electrical problems? Big deal. I go to parks to enjoy the outdoors and hiking trails, not the electricity.

As for the original question, I don't know if it would have matter who was sitting in office. Granholm will get blamed because she's the one in office and that's the way the general public will write her history.

But in my opinion most of the state's problems are directly related to the downfall of the Big Three, which has been slowly happening over the past handful and then some years until the big drop, with the world economy in general, last year. All the jobs lost at the Big Three means fewer dollars locally, thus more businesses/shops closing as a result, and less tax revenue for the state (and continued budget woes). She is not responsible for the decisions made at the Big Three and I don't think there's anything she could have to prevent it.

Everyone has a theory on how to bring more jobs to the state, yet I'm always amused how some folks are under the "it's so easy, she's so dumb!" belief on the matter. There's a big difference between their theories and the reality of the way things work in our state government. They can talk about building small businesses all they want, but with the unemployment rate where it's at and people not spending much money, there's not a lot of folks who are going to risk starting one up, and those that do I wish luck, but I'm curious to know what the long-term survival rate of these businesses are. I've seen plenty of restaurants and shops open and close quickly here in the north due to lack of business/the economy. There's a difference between creating long-term sustainable jobs and those that just seem to come and go.

I know she's been a big proponent of alternative energy, but I haven't seen much in the way of progress in making these jobs in Michigan. I know they're trying to get these car battery companies to locate here for electric cars. They're trying to bring more Hollywood filmmakers here with the new film studio being built (and that is happening). They're trying different things, but there's no one magic solution. Manufacturing, the old way of doing business has become just that...the old way (and outsourced to cheaper nations). It will still play a part, but Michigan needs modernize and come into the 21st century and find some new niches and become more competitive.

I really don't see the state pulling out of its funk until the Big Three starts their turnaround. And whoever is the governor when that happens will get all sorts of praise, deserved or not.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, Highland State Recreation Area is a true gem.

Tops on my list the next time I come back.
I can't argue with the fact it's hardly a nice park. Not much there. The parks I frequent are hardly in bad shape. What exactly would you consider run down there? There is not much there to begin with. What is there ( and I was there last summer) was not falling down or crappy. As far as when you come back? Do us a favor and don't bother. To sit 2000 miles away and rip on another state you left is a bit pointless don't ya think?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
Of course she's not. I believe we as a nation are now paying for not adressing our infrastructure, healthcare, and immigration problems and have become far to much of a paper shuffling society. Need to get back to producing widgets.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:10 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
People aren't leaving in droves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan