Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 21,797 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Coloma, MI and Paw Paw Lake? We live in the Chicago suburbs and we are looking for a small vacation home in Michigan. We don't want to drive more than two and half hours or so. Also, price is a factor - I wish we could afford a great waterfront home but that's not going to happen.

Anyway, we will be happy to be near a lake and not far from Lake Michigan and all the state parks and beaches - like Warren Dunes Park and Silver Beach.

We came across Coloma and Paw Paw Lake with small 2 bedrooms which is all we want but we would like to more about the area. Is the town nice? Does Paw Paw Lake offer public access and boat launching? Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 21,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2007 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Coloma, MI and Paw Paw Lake? We live in the Chicago suburbs and we are looking for a small vacation home in Michigan. We don't want to drive more than two and half hours or so. Also, price is a factor - I wish we could afford a great waterfront home but that's not going to happen.

Anyway, we will be happy to be near a lake and not far from Lake Michigan and all the state parks and beaches - like Warren Dunes Park and Silver Beach.

We came across Coloma and Paw Paw Lake with small 2 bedrooms which is all we want but we would like to more about the area. Is the town nice? Does Paw Paw Lake offer public access and boat launching? Stuff like that.

Shannon
Shannon, if you are still out there.......
I grew up in this area and still live there. Yes the town of Coloma is nice. It's a small town, but still growing. Many homes are surrounding our 2 lakes and the real estate is gaining a lot of equity it seems, as is most lake property anywhere these days! Yes Paw Paw LAke has public access and allows full watercraft sports, fishing, etc. The lake has gained popularity over the years and has quite a nice history with it. You can find info online doing a search on Paw Paw Lake. Coloma has a "sistering" town of Watervliet which is on the other side of the lake. There are a few public access spots on the lake. Lake front property has gone up substantially, yet there's always a chance for a deal out there!!! But inland properties are quite affordable. Everything from down and dirty fixer upers to brand new! There are some very nice townhomes going up with access across the street. And there's other developments on or near the lake also. From Coloma, it's a quick drive to Lake Michigan Beach access. There are a couple public beach access spots in Hagar Shores. My wife is a Realtor for Century 21 Tala in Coloma. If you have any needs give her office a call. By the way I have family in the Chicago suburbs and near Linkin Park, so your commute with good traffic is only about 2 hours or less, depending on your driving habits! Nearby Watervliet is currently building a Waterpark Hotel next to I-94.
Hope I helped you out. (See I told you we were nice!!)

Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 PM

35 posts, read 150,882 times
Default Info about Coloma, Michigan & surrounding area

Quote:

Shannon
Shannon :
I visit Coloma as often as I possibly can. I'm currently looking for a home in the area, also.
As to you asking if Coloma is a nice place - it's the nicest quaint lil town I believe I've ever come across. It's approximately a 40 mile drive for me. I go there on week-ends for breakfast at Shingle Diggins. I've been in Subway. I've been in the Friendly Tavern in Coloma as well. I've gone to the lil place which has fish frys on Friday evenings. I've gone to the fish frys which the FOP has - over beyond I-94 . I've gone to the Senior Center on Ryno Road around Christmas - they had a band & dancing. If you read the Tri-City Record - they have a calender of events.
I've been to Grandpa's Cider MIll & The Chocolate Factory down on Friday road on numerous occasions.
I've gone to the hair salon in town to get my hair cut. I'm in the Dollar Store often. I've bought some antique's from a shop across from Shingle Diggins. I find the people to be very friendly.
I buy my gas as Wesco when I'm in the area.
The Peach/Glad Festival held the first week-end in August is a delight to attend. I've been there the last two years. I find it very interesting and I'll attend next year. This past year I rented a room & stayed the week-end. There is a lil drive-in named Eddie's which has the best bar-b-q'd ribs that are So tender u can eat them with a plastic fork.
It's currently for sale - so don't know about next summer, what will be there.
The small town athmosphere and the way the town is laid out and it being so close to Waterlviet & having Paw Paw Lake access - makes it the perfect summer resort - or year round place for a family. If you search the Internet about Coloma, Michigan and Hagar Shores - it has a fascinating history.
There is access to Lake Michigan in Hagar Shores, off M 63 north - just south of Hagar Shore Road.
While there - when visiting - try Vitali's Deli.
They have such a clean fresh store & have excellent meat. Go to Dimaggio's for their delicous pizza. Visit Hagar Bar & Grill, they have an extended menu of delicous food, nice athmosphere as well, having displayed on their walls - pictures of local people who have been in the area all their lifes. You might see ' Chuck Evans ' in there, also. He's quite a nice fun guy. Say ' hi ' if u should run into him.
It's well worth the drive to Coloma. The drive up on Red Arrow Highway to M-63 north is beautiful - all year round. Many beautiful homes along the Lake.
I've been to Century 21 Realty on Red Arrow Highway & was shown several homes. Most were too large for me - but priced reasonable.
I've been visiting Coloma & Waterlviet for the past 4-1/2 years on a regular basis - and enjoy myself each & every time.
There are churches in the City with an array of nice people who attend the Services.
The school system seems to be a good one.
Not much crime to speak of - they have dis-banded their Police Department, so that speaks well of saving money. No cars to buy, no car to maintain, no gas to buy. There is the Coloma Township Police Department - just outside the City, which is quite adequate. I've had to ask questions during my stay in August. They were outside - not driving around wasting gas, ready to take ur questions or concerns. They only go out when they get a call.
Saves gas. Most helpful & polite.
If you'd like to drive around the area and see some beautiful country side, turn off M-63 on Coloma Road - east - watch for Riverside Road.
Go north, on Riverside Road - just beyond Central Avenue, but watch for a curve in front of Ken's house. As you go north on Riverside - there is a new home under construction where there had been an old farm house. Be sure to have a camera to take a picture of the land surrounding that home & the old farm home which sets off the road, next to it.
This is right where Riverside Road intersects with Clymer Road.
It's pretty enough to be on a Christmas card.
I'd recommend Coloma to anyone.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:40 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
I like Paw Paw, but really prefer Lake Michigan. Since you will be north of the Warren Dunes area, if you'd like to be on the Lake, try South Haven. There are new areas developing and many houses on the market for great prices.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 18,216 times
Hello!

It took me forever to figure out how to register here. I am originally from the South Haven area, and if you would like, I can send you some photo's of the sunsets there. The lighthouse there is the most photographed lighthouse on the Great Lakes at sunset (you can see why from my photo's). My brother is a Police officer in the Coloma Twp area, and says it is fairly safe there. I would love to help you with any of the surrounding area's, but I do think that Benton Harbor is a place to stay away from.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM

Default Coloma is a beautiful small town

Quote:

Shannon
Coloma is a unique quaint lil town. They have the Peach / Glad Festival each August. This year it will be on August 7th, 8th & 9th.
Paw Paw Lake can provide a family with lots of summer time fun.
Just outside town to the east on Friday Road, there is Grandpa's Cider Mill, Contessa Winery & the Chocolate Factory.
Along Ryno Road which runs paralell to I-94, there is a large antique store. A large RV dealer, if u happen to be looking for an RV.
In the downtonw area there is the ' Loma ' theatre, and a Dollar Store, two hair salons, A large hardware store, as well as a few antique shops. A Subway shop, and two banks. 3 old Pubs downtown. Also a place called 'The Friendly Tavern'. If you wanna have lunch or dinner, there is Shingle Diggins which has that great old time athmosphere. Several nice places out west of the town. Eddie's Drive In that has mouth watering ribs. So tender you can eat them with a plastic fork.
Along M63 north - there is Dimaggio's which has scrumpous pizza. Hagar Bar & Grille & a new place which still hasn't opened, called Lake Michigan Breeze. A great lil deli - Vitali's. They have the best home made sausage & fresh meat. Makes your mouth water. All the great cuts of meat that you need for a family bar-b-q
I'd highly recommend Coloma to anyone who is looking for a great place to live & raise children.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 PM

Default Watch out for some of the residents in Hagar Shores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia King View Post
Coloma is a unique quaint lil town. They have the Peach / Glad Festival each August. This year it will be on August 7th, 8th & 9th.
Paw Paw Lake can provide a family with lots of summer time fun.
Just outside town to the east on Friday Road, there is Grandpa's Cider Mill, Contessa Winery & the Chocolate Factory.
Along Ryno Road which runs paralell to I-94, there is a large antique store. A large RV dealer, if u happen to be looking for an RV.
In the downtonw area there is the ' Loma ' theatre, and a Dollar Store, two hair salons, A large hardware store, as well as a few antique shops. A Subway shop, and two banks. 3 old Pubs downtown. Also a place called 'The Friendly Tavern'. If you wanna have lunch or dinner, there is Shingle Diggins which has that great old time athmosphere. Several nice places out west of the town. Eddie's Drive In that has mouth watering ribs. So tender you can eat them with a plastic fork.
Along M63 north - there is Dimaggio's which has scrumpous pizza. Hagar Bar & Grille & a new place which still hasn't opened, called Lake Michigan Breeze. A great lil deli - Vitali's. They have the best home made sausage & fresh meat. Makes your mouth water. All the great cuts of meat that you need for a family bar-b-q
I'd highly recommend Coloma to anyone who is looking for a great place to live & raise children.
Just be careful of a resident at 3056 Cherry Avenue in Hagar Shores. Chuck Evans. He's an old man who has drunken partys & got fired due to his vulgar mouth & rudeness. Watch your children around him.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,867 times
Coloma is very nice. Small but seems a friendly town. I use to go there 20 years ago because they had a cool army navy surplus store but that seems to be gone. I was currently in the area looking at a rental property and was pleasantly surprised by the area. Considering the price, I thought that the area must be terrible, but it was very nice. I did not move fast enough and did not end up buying it, but would highly recommend it to anyone. I do know of a place to search for for sale by owner homes and other rentals - it is called homes by owner dot com/benton harbor but it includes properties all over berrien county. This includes Coloma and Paw Paw and South Haven as well. Great summer areas and awesome deals right now - it is a real estate buyers market right now. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan