Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,474 times

Advertisements

About a month ago I hurt myself at work. I logged it in the injury book but at the time did not think anything major was wrong. I hit my left shoulder pretty hard while attempting to stand up too soon walking under part of my machine. Our safety lady took a statement and asked how I was the following couple days. I told her I was just a little sore but I had this knot in the middle of my back. She asked if I had seen a Dr yet and I told her I thought I'd be fine after seeing my chiropractor. I dealt with the pain and knot for a good two and a half weeks. I just so happened to win free xrays and exam from a new chiropractor who just opened his practice near my home. Went in had my first adjustment and it finally gave me some relief of the pressure and pain.
2 nights later my back went out completely on me while working. I began to have severe spasms and it knocked me out of work for 3 days. I tried to call my work but they did not return my calls. I decided I had to try and go back because they did not give me much choice even though I felt I was not ready. I made it two days and was out again. This was last Tuesday. I went to my regular Dr and they put me on muscle relaxers, pain killers and anti inflamitory medication. Told me to stay home until they could get an MRI or CT scan. Ct scan was negative and they cleared me to return to work on Monday. I know things are still not right in my back and they are doing an MRI on Monday morning.
So here is my problem. My time being off although I feel was caused from work, I am being punished through our points system and am now with 2 points of termination. They are not willing to work with me and my back still does not feel like it's going to hold up under work conditions. So if I go back and it flares up again I am going to get fired. All because I have not been off long enough to qualify for short term disability. If I do get fired even though my Dr's have shown there is a problem but can't nail it down do I have a leg to stand on to fight for my job? I know it seems I went about things the wrong way, but people who get hurt where I work have targets put on their back and they look for any reason to get rid of them. This fear kept me from going the route I now know I should have taken. So did I screw myself? Even though it's documented I did hurt myself at work? I can't work on these drugs, but I don't think I can work off them. The Dr's are really no help. Anyone else ever been in a situation like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
It's a workers comp thing, Mr. Gatti. Contact a lawyer pronto.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Yes, call an attorney. One that specializes in comp.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
It's a workers comp thing, Mr. Gatti. Contact a lawyer pronto.
Problems is that if I attempt to file now I was told my insurance would not cover what has been done and to expect a fight from my work. So that's why I'm kind of between a rock and a hard spot.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes, call an attorney. One that specializes in comp.
If my MRI shows nothing I think that's exactly what I'll have to do. Not sure if I can win. Just goes to show it's not work it to take the high road. A lost time effects everyone's bonus and puts a target on your back. I guess I should have said screw everyone else and dealt with the target.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
If my MRI shows nothing I think that's exactly what I'll have to do. Not sure if I can win. Just goes to show it's not work it to take the high road. A lost time effects everyone's bonus and puts a target on your back. I guess I should have said screw everyone else and dealt with the target.
Your attorney will help you find a doctor. Call in the AM.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:15 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,569 times
As already stated call a lawyer. I was injured on the job in MI about 8 years ago, I got the tip of my finger cut off in a machine, about a 1/2". They automatically put me on workman's comp and declared me out for 6 weeks and deemed it a specific, permanent loss. I wanted to sue, especially since this happened 4 times earlier to other workers on the same machine. All the lawyers I called said the same thing, "If I had lost the finger below the first joint toward the tip, it's worth $50,000, otherwise we can't help you.

Another time I injured myself at home in FL and I was on a point system. I was 1 point away from being canned at the time, was on pain meds with a doctor's note and called work saying there's no way I can run a press today and 1 day out= 1 more point, I'll be toast. They said okay, come in anyway and we'll find you something light to do; I sat in the conference room and and sorted, shredded, filed papers, etc.

That's what I think is suspect in your case, if your injured they should be making some kind of accomodations for you to do something, especially if your under point system. You definitley need some legal advice.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
As already stated call a lawyer. I was injured on the job in MI about 8 years ago, I got the tip of my finger cut off in a machine, about a 1/2". They automatically put me on workman's comp and declared me out for 6 weeks and deemed it a specific, permanent loss. I wanted to sue, especially since this happened 4 times earlier to other workers on the same machine. All the lawyers I called said the same thing, "If I had lost the finger below the first joint toward the tip, it's worth $50,000, otherwise we can't help you.

Another time I injured myself at home in FL and I was on a point system. I was 1 point away from being canned at the time, was on pain meds with a doctor's note and called work saying there's no way I can run a press today and 1 day out= 1 more point, I'll be toast. They said okay, come in anyway and we'll find you something light to do; I sat in the conference room and and sorted, shredded, filed papers, etc.

That's what I think is suspect in your case, if your injured they should be making some kind of accomodations for you to do something, especially if your under point system. You definitley need some legal advice.
We have what they call a zero tolerance points system. It states that unless you are off work for vacation or a pre arranged time off or off on short term disability you WILL get points. It never used to be this way until this new guy took over. When I was off two weeks ago for 3 days and asked him to work with me some how he said he would excuse 1 point. When I spoke with him after my Dr's visit this week he asked in a very sarcastic voice. " If it's so serious why did he only take you off until Monday?" I asked if he would like to speak with my Dr because he was willing to call and explain my situation. Of course he declined. The fact was the prescriptions he put me on really screwed me up. They make me very tired and a little scatterbrained. He told me I'd be a walking safety hazard around machinery.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
We have what they call a zero tolerance points system. It states that unless you are off work for vacation or a pre arranged time off or off on short term disability you WILL get points. It never used to be this way until this new guy took over. When I was off two weeks ago for 3 days and asked him to work with me some how he said he would excuse 1 point. When I spoke with him after my Dr's visit this week he asked in a very sarcastic voice. " If it's so serious why did he only take you off until Monday?" I asked if he would like to speak with my Dr because he was willing to call and explain my situation. Of course he declined. The fact was the prescriptions he put me on really screwed me up. They make me very tired and a little scatterbrained. He told me I'd be a walking safety hazard around machinery.
There is NO company policy that will come before the Michigan comp law. Call in the AM.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Employers have become much more aggresive toward employees about things like this since the economy collapsed. The only thing these managers will understand is legal action. I agree with all those who suggest a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan