Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times

Advertisements

Au contraire...

....a few icy times...

But you're right.

Not in winter.

Fall & spring fer shurrr...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniepep View Post
So I've often wondered if I might actually LIKE winter if I were allowed to stay indoors and sip cocoa because everyone realizes that nobody's going anywhere in 200 inches of snow.

Nobody's going anywhere?? It's life as normal for us here. We've only missed one day of work in the last three + years due to winter weather. We also only have fwd vehicles (otherwise we might have tried it on that one day we stayed home No....... it was simply to deep that morning).

I love winters here until about February. Then it just starts getting TOO deep. That and it's also about the time all of my seeds catelogs start arriving in the mail. I think I need to tell them to hold on to them until the middle of March anyways.....

Old 06-02-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
......... driveway will be plowed. You'll wake up and say: "Who plowed my driveway?"
We lived in the city of Marquette our first winter here and I can't tell you how many times we either woke up or got back from somewhere to find that our driveway had been completely cleared for us. Most of the time I wouldn't have a clue who had done it for us and found it a bit disconcerting.
Finally realized that the only thing to do was to keep an eye on all of the neighbors houses. If I was free and saw snow piling up somewhere, grab the shovel and head over there!!

Now we live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors around...... no mysterious plow jobs since we've moved to this current place.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedlady View Post
The winters are long and cold with lot's of snow. Other than the weather, what can you tell me about everyday life in the UP?
I often tell people that it's like a completely different country up here (having lived in lower MI, CO, and southern CA). You know the stories people repeat when talking about the "good ole days"??...... in many ways the good ole days are still here in da U.P.

My spouse works with the public (utilities) and sometimes comes across people who live here a year or two (sometimes only months) before they throw in the towel and leave again. When she asks "why" it's usually either the winters (understandable for many people) or they claim that people up here are so unfriendly!!
We are always quite befuddled because that has NOT been our experience whatsoever. I often wonder if it's the people themselves, or if they actually did have a bad experience with people up here

Anyhow back on subject. The U.P. is the best if you are an active outdoors person. In all four seasons that is, not just the warm months. If a person is not an active outdoors person, then I don't know how they make it?? There are many things to do in town but......

Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 AM

266 posts, read 852,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Nobody's going anywhere?? It's life as normal for us here. We've only missed one day of work in the last three + years due to winter weather. We also only have fwd vehicles (otherwise we might have tried it on that one day we stayed home No....... it was simply to deep that morning).
Well, then I guess that lets me out! I HATE driving in snow!

(yes, I should move out of Michigan, before everybody tells me to - believe me I have tried and tried and tried).

Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM

58 posts, read 162,259 times
Default This is the stuff I wanted to hear.

Keep those tidbits coming..I'm getting excited. We'll be heading up there in a few weeks, I think. Hopefully we will find the perfect place, the one that has been just waiting for us all this time, lol.
Martha

Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedlady View Post
Keep those tidbits coming..I'm getting excited. We'll be heading up there in a few weeks, I think. Hopefully we will find the perfect place, the one that has been just waiting for us all this time, lol.
Martha
One final tip for now, if you buy a place up here make sure that it has lots of good southern exposure with plenty of windows on that side.
During the daylight hours (especially mid-Jan to mid-March when we start going crazy), we spend all of our indoor time in front of those windows soaking up the light. Our house looks a little weird during those months with the dining room table and the couch sharing our only southern facing picture window at this place..... but we don't care!!
We're looking to buy a place now and that will be one of our top priorities.

Also, many homes up here do not have a vestibule. I do not understand that at all!! People would save soooo much money in heating costs if they would just add one to their house (which doesn't take much for a small one).

Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
YAZ

My parents, grandparents, et al seemed to get a long fine without a FWD vehicle. Too funny, as I couldn't imagine driving in da U.P. without it.

My grandparents had a "mudroom" at the back door. We weren't allowed past that with our muddy or snow covered shoes. Our goose would've been cooked, LOL.

Not uncommon to see deer hanging from the trees. (during deer season of course).

After my grandfather died, my grandmother remarried and they built a home on Lake Superior. They had a sauna in the back yard. We'd sit in there for a while and jump into that cold lake.....

The northern lights are spectacular, along with those long summer days. It's amazing how many stars you see on a clear night.

Ya know, from the eastern part of the U.P., it's a 12 hour drive to polar bear country.

Lots of critters too.

Porcupine, black bear, skunks, hares, fox, etc.

Secure your trash cans....

Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
My parents, grandparents, et al seemed to get a long fine without a FWD vehicle. Too funny, as I couldn't imagine driving in da U.P. without it.
Do you mean AWD or 4X4?? Most vehicles on the road today are front wheel drive.
The very few rear wheel drive vehicles (80's and older) that haven't rusted apart are usually stored here 'til the warmer months.
Oh never mind, I think I see what you're saying <smacks self upside the head>

Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
YAZ

I think a front wheel drive vehicle would be adequate up there.

And then there's always the snowmobile, dog sled, and cross country skis....

Oh, and snowshoes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan