Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 AM

58 posts, read 162,328 times

Advertisements

Well, DH and I made a trip to the beautiful north over this past Holiday weekend. Eliminated some places on our list, found a few more possibilities, of course.

First question: We found a place we like just outside of Bruce Crossing. more land than we need, more money than we wanted to spend, but we really like the lay of the land and the area. This property borders Ontonagon County Forest Land on 2 sides. Can anyone give me some insight as to how much ATV activity I might expect if the County Forest was my neighbor? The place is near Kennedy Lake. Is this a popular spot for hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, ORV'ing?

Don't get me wrong, I think it is wonderful that some much land is open to the public for outdoor play. But I wouldn't want CONSTANT traffic on the piece next door to my piece of heaven.

Also, I assume the County Forest would be timbered periodically? How could I find out about when that might happen.

Thanks for any help you can give. It is great to learn from you all.
Martha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 AM

217 posts, read 591,541 times
Check with the DNR or welcome center for a ATV/snowmobile trail map. IMO, that would be the best way to see where the trails are.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM

217 posts, read 607,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedlady View Post
First question: We found a place we like just outside of Bruce Crossing. more land than we need, more money than we wanted to spend, but we really like the lay of the land and the area. This property borders Ontonagon County Forest Land on 2 sides. Can anyone give me some insight as to how much ATV activity I might expect if the County Forest was my neighbor? The place is near Kennedy Lake. Is this a popular spot for hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, ORV'ing?
Go to this DNR webpage and click on the county where the property is located. It'll open up a map of the snowmobile trails.

As for timbering, I'd just call the local DNR office.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:05 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
The far west of the UP is , or can be quite remote. The big city fix , would be MPLS....maybe Duluth if you think thats good enough. The Porkies are very nice. Different weather than the balance of the UP.
If I were getting up in age , think about the access to medical.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM

119 posts, read 284,742 times
Is the land owned by the county,state or the U.S. government? That would make a difference. The state or the feds don't allow ORV's to run willy nilly anywhere they want. It has to be a trail. The feds are stricter than the others. You will be a long way from pretty much everything there. There are a couple of decent places to eat in Bruces. And you will have the Settlers Co-op for shopping. I think they are open 24-7. Pretty unusual for that area. Also Pertuu's golf corse if you like that sort of thing. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 PM

217 posts, read 607,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FESTER View Post
And you will have the Settlers Co-op for shopping. I think they are open 24-7. Pretty unusual for that area.
Well, Bruce is about halfway from Marquette to Wisconsin, so it's not a bad place for someone who needs to fill up to stop. Plus all the late night visitors to the Paulding Light. My friends and I have stopped there on the way back, so it serves its purpose

Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 AM

Default thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by FESTER View Post
Is the land owned by the county,state or the U.S. government? That would make a difference. The state or the feds don't allow ORV's to run willy nilly anywhere they want. It has to be a trail. The feds are stricter than the others. You will be a long way from pretty much everything there. There are a couple of decent places to eat in Bruces. And you will have the Settlers Co-op for shopping. I think they are open 24-7. Pretty unusual for that area. Also Pertuu's golf corse if you like that sort of thing. Good luck.
To the East and North is Ontonagon County Forest. I guess that would mean it is owned by the county.

To the South is National Forest.

Anyone know if I could contact someone at the county level? or Does DNR have jurisdiction over timbering on county lands also?

"The big city fix , would be MPLS....maybe Duluth if you think thats good enough"

Darstar-we don't need or want a big city fix, that's why we're coming to the UP

thanks again, keep the info coming.
Martha

Old 07-10-2009, 01:57 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedlady View Post
To the East and North is Ontonagon County Forest. I guess that would mean it is owned by the county.

To the South is National Forest.

Anyone know if I could contact someone at the county level? or Does DNR have jurisdiction over timbering on county lands also?

"The big city fix , would be MPLS....maybe Duluth if you think thats good enough"

Darstar-we don't need or want a big city fix, that's why we're coming to the UP

thanks again, keep the info coming.
Martha
Thats fine , you say that now , but things can change.........I know a couple who are " stuck" in the UP. he loves it , She missed the Grand kids. A sad case. You won't have many visitors , but then you might like it that way. I am very happy that way , all my friends are on the Internet , close enough.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM

Default our search continues

Sadly for me, DH has put his foot down and said there is no way we can afford the piece in Bruce Crossing that I mentioned in my prior post (I'm still working on it though ). As our search for the perfect homestead continues, DH and I wondered if it would do us any good to subscribe to the local newspaper(s) in the UP?

Are there small local newspapers or newsletters with community news, advertisements, classifieds? If so, how might I contact their offices to subscribe?

Thanks
Martha

Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 AM

72 posts, read 148,282 times
MiningJournal.net | News, Sports, Jobs, Marquette Information | The Mining Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan