U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 AM

62 posts, read 165,562 times

Advertisements

I was a regular on this forum starting early last year but haven't been around much for months...... I was downsized for the 2nd time from my corporate job in Dec '07, put my house on the market, had solid plans to move, couldn't sell my house, ended up back in school full time and working part-time retail. My husband's work (he's a commerical carpenter) has been spotty but we're making it for right now. And to clarify my area, I'm Downriver south of Detroit.

I've been working at my store now since early Oct. and I have to say, we see NO SIGN of the economic downturn. We consistently hit numbers that I am shocked by (and they keep increasing our goals because we're hitting our numbers). It is a make-up/beauty supply/women's home depot store, so nothing like food and staple items. We continue to do an incredible business. Yes, there are some staples items like shampoo, hair dryers, etc. but all in all, our business is based on the extras.

I'm also currently in a management class where we have had to visit local businesses for presentations. The electronics store in our area projected a 30% increase in sales this year which is HUGE and the mgr said thus far they are surpassing it! A friend of ours recently bought a big screen TV and his local store sold 12 of his model between Friday and Sunday a couple weekends ago. We also had a presentation by a mgr from an area Sears who said their appliance/electronics division is up for the district. We visited a local hotel who's business is still very stable with solid numbers of rooms filled on a very regular basis. We also visited 2 area restaurants as a class and they too are holding steady.

All signs from what I've seen point to the fact that although the unemployement rate is high, it really is a drop in the bucket compared to those that do in fact have decent jobs.

Businesses expect an increase in sales every year, so no, the numbers are not increasing at the rate they want for every business out there....but considering I'm in the direct heart of southeast MI, I am truly shocked that so many businesses are pulling in good numbers.

Anyone else working in retail seeing this? Seeing the opposite?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 AM

4,121 posts, read 8,133,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8pyrz View Post
I was a regular on this forum starting early last year but haven't been around much for months...... I was downsized for the 2nd time from my corporate job in Dec '07, put my house on the market, had solid plans to move, couldn't sell my house, ended up back in school full time and working part-time retail. My husband's work (he's a commerical carpenter) has been spotty but we're making it for right now. And to clarify my area, I'm Downriver south of Detroit.

I've been working at my store now since early Oct. and I have to say, we see NO SIGN of the economic downturn. We consistently hit numbers that I am shocked by (and they keep increasing our goals because we're hitting our numbers). It is a make-up/beauty supply/women's home depot store, so nothing like food and staple items. We continue to do an incredible business. Yes, there are some staples items like shampoo, hair dryers, etc. but all in all, our business is based on the extras.

I'm also currently in a management class where we have had to visit local businesses for presentations. The electronics store in our area projected a 30% increase in sales this year which is HUGE and the mgr said thus far they are surpassing it! A friend of ours recently bought a big screen TV and his local store sold 12 of his model between Friday and Sunday a couple weekends ago. We also had a presentation by a mgr from an area Sears who said their appliance/electronics division is up for the district. We visited a local hotel who's business is still very stable with solid numbers of rooms filled on a very regular basis. We also visited 2 area restaurants as a class and they too are holding steady.

All signs from what I've seen point to the fact that although the unemployement rate is high, it really is a drop in the bucket compared to those that do in fact have decent jobs.

Businesses expect an increase in sales every year, so no, the numbers are not increasing at the rate they want for every business out there....but considering I'm in the direct heart of southeast MI, I am truly shocked that so many businesses are pulling in good numbers.

Anyone else working in retail seeing this? Seeing the opposite?
My business on Ebay is fine, and one of my clients who I sell my product to, who in turn makes his products he sells, is actually doing very well. He sells his things in Ohio, Ill., Indiana, Mi.....and cannot keep up with orders!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 PM

426 posts, read 1,198,079 times
Default seeing

I sell on line, Amazon, and my sales are non-existant and have been for a long time.I am just about ready to close shop.
I would imagine a lot of people tat are out buying are doing so with credit cards. I don't think they can actually afford it. I think a lot of people are just spending that don't really have it.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 PM

62 posts, read 165,562 times
Yet another sign that perhaps the economic situation is not nearly as bad as the media makes it out to be !

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090605/LIFESTYLE/906050325/Air-Yeezys--Fans-line-up-for-days-in-Royal-Oak-to-nab-a-pair (broken link)

Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 PM

21,093 posts, read 25,653,850 times
News Break---Yahoo search turns up multitude of new clothing outlets through out South East Michigan as thousands ask,'" What recession?"

clothing swaps in michigan - Yahoo! Search Results

Old 06-06-2009, 02:35 PM

830 posts, read 1,509,416 times
It's all about jobs. If you have one that's secure -- you think what recession? If you lose your job - you suddenly discover that it's not so easy to replace. If you have no job prospects -- you'll eventually have creditor issues and be forced to move where there is work.

Some who are out of work haven't figured out that this will not be a short-term problem. They have a severance package, unemployment insurance, maybe some savings, and a lot of time on their hands. It wouldn't surprise me that there would be a rise in consumer spending but it will be very short-term since this spending is not sustainable. Unemployment is going to get worse in MI as the GM/Chrysler bankruptcies impact part suppliers and more businesses are forced to close. The more businesses that close -- the worse unemployment gets -- unemployment inevitably means less money in the local economy and a very poor business climate. It's a downward spiral that MI is not at the bottom of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan