Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
but global warming doesn't make everywhere warmer, it makes some places colder
Ahhh, yes. Those are the best kinds of theories. True, even if the opposite happens. It's win-win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 05:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
Man... i wish i had the Tivo on when it was aired, but i can't even remember where i saw it, but global warming doesn't make everywhere warmer, it makes some places colder by changing atmospheric pressure in places. There is a low like right in Ontario, and i was like HA YEAH, i knew there was something going on. SO yeah, MI's climate as of late can be attributed to that. Like last season, the summer was very mild, (it was nice, i loved it) but HOLY DANG, we got a lot of rain, which i also loved, but it molded some farmers crops. However.. i feel our winters have been colder recently. (like last couple years) WAIT... it was on Europe and the UK specifially i think, there is a similiar low pressure area near there, so they have similiar conditions to what we are having, ... only more of it Like they had a record amount of snow last winter.
Mean global temperatures, measured using satellite IR arrays (the only way to measure the atmosphere's temperature avoiding biases due to "contamination" due to waste heat from equipment, structures, human changes to the surface, etc) peaked in 1998. Full stop. The warming trend experienced during much of the 20th century ended, at least for a while. The only remaining question is, how long will the current cooling trend last and how deep will it go? 10 years? 100 years? 10000 years? 1000000 years? I'll let you noodle on it a bit to figure out what those last two would represent (clue - Michigan would become uninhabitable).

Old 06-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
The colder, the better. I've got plenty of wood to keep warm, keeps the insects in check, keeps the undesirables inside, that and the fact that more people die from excessive heat than excessive cold by a large margin. I'll take cold, thank you
Firstly you are incorrect regarding relative deaths due to heat versus cold (ay, yay, yay, the impacts of decades of climate controlled living on the human psyche ... most people have become addicted to AC blasting out a 60 deg F!).

Secondly, with over 6 billion people now on Earth, the loss of marginal / northern ag lands (due to shortened growing season) and ag lands in semi arid zones (due to the inevitable drying of many mid latitude inland areas that would go along with cooling) the global impacts (economically, geopolitically, etc) of the subsequent loss of food availability would be difficult for you to hide from.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Not to mention cow farts.

We're gonna start taxing farmers now (per head), for bovine flatulence.

Of course, any idiot knows that this kinda stuff contributes to global warming.

Anyone that buys into this @&$% is an idiot.

Al Gore sux.

So does Nobama.

Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, etc.

Ad nauseum.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 PM

197 posts, read 378,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Not to mention cow farts.

We're gonna start taxing farmers now (per head), for bovine flatulence.

Of course, any idiot knows that this kinda stuff contributes to global warming.

Anyone that buys into this @&$% is an idiot.

Al Gore sux.

So does Nobama.

Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, etc.

Ad nauseum.
The Real News Network - British team finds no multi-year ice in Arctic Sea
^(at least watch this)^
The Real News Network - Melting ice causes river "tsunami" in Chile
The Real News Network - Climate changing faster than predicted?
The Real News Network - Global warming: What's next after Bali
The Real News Network - Monbiot on the media and global warming
The Real News Network - Climate Change
George Monbiot berates Telegraph columnist Christopher Booker | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Anyways, nope... the climate has never changed, will never changed, and us burning carbon that has long been buried has absolutely no effect on anything.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:51 PM

Monbiot is a moon bat. Hopefully you're not one as well. All those links you put up are hysterical psuedo scientific garbage. Do you even have a clue what's really going on with northern hemisphere sea ice?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 PM

271 posts, read 664,950 times
My viewpoint - Except for a brief warm spell that was supposedly caused by El Nino in the 90s, it seems to me that Michigan is getting colder. I do remember a lot more snow when I was younger, but it not being as cold. Now we are getting less snow, and more of the dry extreme bitter cold that makes for a frozen wasteland. When I was younger I remember baking in the heat for months. Now it seems like nice days are getting fewer and farther between, and there is only about a week when I think about using AC. The last 3 years I have not even installed my window unit, it is just not worth the effort for what little warm we get.

Another thing I have noticed is the wind has gotten stronger and more frequent year after year. I don't remember it being like this when I was younger. Neither does anyone I have talked to about it. 10 years ago I noticed it getting windier too but it still used to be enjoyable to take out my trailer. But In recent years it has gotten to be a pain because of more and more wind. I find it hard to do much of anything outside because of the wind. It can rain for days on end, but then almost right away it is dry and things are dying. It is like the wind wicks the moisture out of the land like clothes on a clothesline.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:22 AM

14 posts, read 14,292 times
Weather in Michigan has gotten terrible.There is a huge difference from the early 90s versus now.The humidity almost turns into water.Things are just compounding i guess.
Matter of fact i am freezing right now.It is insane huh?

Last edited by Monelli; 06-14-2009 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: Not looking to post twice

Old 06-14-2009, 07:02 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Freezing right now? Yesterday it was high 70's, for the next week is is supposed to be near 80, and that is right on the Lake. Your location says Troy, depending on which one (By Detroit, or by GR) it is already 60's headed to 80's today.

Overall it IS colder than the 90's, but the 90's and even the mid to late 80's and up to a couple of years ago it was much milder than it had been before. People tend to forget that a span of close to 20 years does NOT give you an accurate picture of an areas weather patterns. We got spoiled the last bit because it was warmer than average. Now we are getting back to the average.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 AM

14 posts, read 14,292 times
Possibly something wrong with my house that i was freezing this morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan