Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 14,831 times

Advertisements

I'm really impressed by the number of responses and I appreciate your help.
Thanks to all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 14,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Well basically any suburb of Lansing is nice to stay, speaking of your not looking at school systems right now. You also can find nice areas within Lansing.
Hi,
thanks for your feedback. My impression was that I should stay away from Lansing but it seems from your email that I may be wrong. Could you give me more specific information like the name of the neighborhood, street etc where I could potentially look for houses? I see some interesting houses for example on Karen, Kendalwood or Lucie St but it's hard to figure out whether it's a good neighborhood. Thanks again.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:34 PM

87 posts, read 255,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z.m.a.n. View Post
Hi,
thanks for your feedback. My impression was that I should stay away from Lansing but it seems from your email that I may be wrong. Could you give me more specific information like the name of the neighborhood, street etc where I could potentially look for houses? I see some interesting houses for example on Karen, Kendalwood or Lucie St but it's hard to figure out whether it's a good neighborhood. Thanks again.

I wouldn't really look in that area. North of Holmes and you'd be alright, but in that area, its ok, but nothing too great. Its fairly high crime. If you want to look in Lansing, look around the area north of Mt Hope and west of MLK, there are some beautiful areas in there. If you go a little further south along MLK, its also really pretty nice. A small, quiet and clean neighborhood with small houses (streets like Park, Edward, and just south of there, from MLK on the east to Pleasant Grove on the west, down to Holmes). Check out homes by Sexton high school, its one of the more desirable areas in Lansing, with beautiful old brick homes (north of 496, west of MLK all the way north to Saginaw). You might want to check out the neighborhood in between Cedar and Pennsylvania on roads like Dexter and Brookland and in that general area. Some nice old homes in there and just a little more north on the east side of Penn, streets like Pacific and Tisdale and all that area up until the zoo are all quite nice. Definitely do NOT go north of the zoo at all. Its absolute garbage. If you want to be closer to EL, look in zip code 48912, but only the northern section by Lake Lansing. The area bounded by Grand River on the south, 127 on the east, Wood on the west and Lk Lansing on the north is a nice neighborhood as well, and in close proximity to pretty much everything. Also try looking off of Willow in the zip code 48917. In Lansing Willow is kinda dumpy, but as soon as you cross Waverly heading west, there are a lot of really nice homes in there, all close to the river. Look north off of Waverly as well, and you will also find some nice homes.

There are some other areas in Lansing proper that are worth checking out, but all that should keep you busy for awhile. If you have any more questions, let me know. Lansing has some nice middle class areas, its not all bad, you just have to look around a little bit, but don't let anyone tell you that there aren't nice places to live within the city. I work in the city and drive through every area of it everyday, and its worth your while to check it out.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times
Look at homes near Sexton High School, Dwight Rich Middle School, Cavanaugh Elementry School, Frances Park, Moores Park, (East of) Groesbeck Golf Course, Lansing Mall, Downtown Lansing ( seeing improvements in downtown, recently built the stadium district)........

Yeah I think I picked out most of the good areas to live/ buy a home, or at least from what I've seen, and I've been a resident of Lansing since birth ( 17 years old). I'm sure there are tons of more safe areas to live, though ones I listed above are more than likely the diserable areas in the city of Lansing.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 AM

32 posts, read 107,079 times
Here is a homicide map provided by the Lansing State Journal as well: Data Connection | lansingstatejournal.com | Lansing State Journal (http://db.lsj.com/community/dc/homicides/ - broken link) Any place outside of those areas should be good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan