Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 14,829 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I got a job at MSU and I and my wife are looking for a good place to live around MSU .. and seriously thinking to buy a house. I know that such questions have been asked before but with the current economic situation I'd like to know that areas are less affected by it.
I learned that East Lansing is probably the best choice but houses there are also more expensive so we don't mind living a little bit further from MSU. I heard names like Haslett, Okemos, Holt, are there really good enough you could recommend?
We don't care about schools but we would like to live in a safe area - not much affected by the current economy (houses foreclosure, etc)

I will appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Zman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I have heard that Okemos is nice. I have never been to Lansing for any extended period of time..I know others here have been so there should be some suggestions??

Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,123 times
Holt is a good choice. Okemos is a little too busy for my tastes.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Perry is a nice little town. About 20-25 min. from MSU
I love East Lansing...that would be my first choice.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Okemos is pretty much traditional suburbia- reasonably safe, lots of nice newer houses and some serious shopping areas along with an easy commute to MSU, but not much in the way of character, IMO.

Since I'm not a person who likes to feel like I'm spending half my life in my car, I'd go with something smaller in East Lansing or in Okemos. The upside of East Lansing is that if you get outside the student ghetto, it's a pretty desirable area where homes are going to hold their value better than in areas where there's still a lot of developable land to be had down the road.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
There are some nice areas of Haslett. Holt has a good school system, but it sounds like that doesn't matter that much. You could also check Williamston, if you don't mind a small town with a really nice downtown, within an easy commute.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 PM

32 posts, read 107,060 times
Okemos or Northern East Lansing are your best bets. Everything else is in the middle of nowhere.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,356 times
In addition to everything above I'd also check out Bath.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:02 PM

87 posts, read 255,027 times
You would think that Bath would be nice, but I find it to be a really small, dumpy little town. If you're looking in Clinton county, just look in Dewitt/Dewitt Twp. There are some really beautiful homes and some really great scenery in that area. I happen to think that pretty much all of Shiwassee County is kinda low rent and not all that nice. Laingsburg, Perry, and Owosso are all pretty rural and not all that nice, not to mention a pretty long commute, especially from Owosso. If you want close proximity and still want to have a country feel, look just south of Okemos/Holt. Alaiedon and Delhi Twps both have some really nice rural areas but are only minutes from the city. Delhi Twp taxes are a bit high, though.

Haslett boasts some excellent schools, but the really only nice parts of Haslett are around the lake and the subdivisions that make up pretty much the whole zip code. The actual "town" of Haslett is really nothing at all, just a few run down houses along Haslett Rd, but there are some nice homes just south of there, off Cornell and Marsh. The same can be said for Okemos, though. Both have pretty high traffic and both lack an actual downtown area, they are really just shopping and subdivisions for the most part.

If I had my choice and I wanted to live in the city and had the money, I would look in East Lansing's Glencairn neighborhood. Absolutely beautiful older homes, super quiet, with tall trees and nicely landscaped yards. Taxes are high in EL, but a lot of the residents expect that, and like that, because the city provides a lot of services.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:27 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
Well basically any suburb of Lansing is nice to stay, speaking of your not looking at school systems right now. You also can find nice areas within Lansing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan