U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:34 PM

493 posts, read 1,323,829 times

Advertisements

Has anyone taken one of these cruises out of Munising? We'll be there in late August. Looks like the sunset cruise would have some great colors for photography, but where could we get a bite to eat after the cruise?

Thanks for any insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,024,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
Has anyone taken one of these cruises out of Munising? We'll be there in late August. Looks like the sunset cruise would have some great colors for photography, but where could we get a bite to eat after the cruise?

Thanks for any insight.
We took the kids on the shipwreck tour. It was fun but the kids got bored. I wish we would have done the pictured rocks tour. I was amazed by the shore line we went past. Pretty amazing.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 AM

265 posts, read 734,866 times
I usually go to the Dogpatch when I am in Munising. Basic American food but good and friendly waitstaff.
Dogpatch Restaurant of Munising Michigan

Sydney's has a bit better selection but it has been a long time since I last was there.
Sydney's Restaurant - Great Food, Fun, Catering - Munising Michigan

There are a few more other restaurants in town.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 AM

845 posts, read 3,064,696 times
The Pictured Rocks boat tour is fantastic. Go in the evening (not sure if it's a sunset tour or not) and the light on those cliffs is pretty incredible.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:35 AM

Sydney's looks like a good bet, plus they are open late. Do you know if it's a non-smoking restaurant?

Yes, we agree that the sunset cruise is probably the best bet to get the colors.

Thanks, both of you!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:18 PM

689 posts, read 2,108,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post

Thanks for any insight.
As others have said the scenery is amazing, the only thing is late August and lake Superior can be trouble (big seas). The tours can be cancelled due to weather so I would certainly check ahead once it comes closer to time. I'm not certain about what is open late in Munising...I haven't been there in several years.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,537,888 times
I don't recall the seas getting rough in August. I could be wrong. Obviously, they can rake up 20 footers any time of year in a storm, but I think late August is still safe.

I second Dogpatch or Sydney's. A nice place to stop in for a dessert / snack beforehand is Falling Rock Books and Cafe.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,024,445 times
I did not even see you were looking for a place to eat. LOL Selective reading kicking in again. Well when we were waiting for our boat tour we had to find a place that served pasties. There was a little place close bye that was a home converted into a restaurant and they had some goooood stuff. Sorry I do not recall the name.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:19 PM

689 posts, read 2,108,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't recall the seas getting rough in August. I could be wrong. Obviously, they can rake up 20 footers any time of year in a storm, but I think late August is still safe.

I second Dogpatch or Sydney's. A nice place to stop in for a dessert / snack beforehand is Falling Rock Books and Cafe.
I took the ferry from Copper Harbor to Isle Royal national park August 20 in 1999, when we woke in the morning there was snow and rain mix flying, 35mph winds and 15-20ft seas ALL the way over on our 4hr ride. Either you sat inside and smelled puke or went out on the deck and got drenched. The ferry service said it was there 2nd worst trip they recorded. I wouldn't count anything out on Lake Superior.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:44 PM

Couple of good points there - thanks!

Maybe I should allow for an extra day in case of bad weather. Even absent rough seas, it would be better to have a nice, sunny day to get the best photos of the formations. We could always make a circle to St. Ignace and the Soo and back to Munising.

And what would be the point of going to the UP without having a pasty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan