Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
I think the residents themselves do a lot of damage by not having a lot of pride in where they are from when talking to other folks from states like California, Florida, Texas, New York. I was at a bar in Miami beach a few months ago and at the table were some folks that claimed to be from Chicago. It soon came out though that they were in fact from Michigan and had just said that since it sounded cooler then saying they were from Michigan. I have seen something along those lines happen over and over again.
It certainly is not a very hip state overall, although it seems as though it would like to be in certain areas, like Detroit.
Either way sometimes I wonder if it is as bad as people think. Most days I feel like things are fairly decent, nobody's complaining or anything of that nature. Who knows.
I am not sure, but I THINK it is because people have a blank when they hear Michigan.

I use to live in New York, and if you tell people you are from MI, then 5 minutes later they'll be introducing you as the guy from Mississippi, Missouri, or any other random "M"-state that pops into their head.

Also that particular person might have been from Chicago and moved to the Great Lakes of Michigan as many people from Chicago seem to do. On that side of the state, everything is Chicago-conntected - people have their Cubs, Bears, Bulls, etc. as opposed to most people in the state who watch all the Detroit teams. Southwestern Michigan is very connected to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
Michigan doesn't seem to have the state pride that Minnesota or Texas have. Sure some people like it, but you go to St. Paul or Dallas and all you will here about from people is how great their state is. You don't get the same thing in Michigan.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:38 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Because from my impression, it is pretty bad. I'm not sure if I can find worse.
It certainly seems like it's all the rage to hate on Michigan right now, and it's very disheartening to hear it. I don't know if it's worse when it comes from those who live here or people who live in places like California but rip on us anyway. The state has many, many problems right now but it still has it's beauty and gems as well.

Everywhere in this country, and world for that matter, has problems and the economic troubles and ensuing decline is being seen everywhere. It's just more blatant and maybe it's worse in some places than others.

The grass is certainly greener, isn't it. My hubby and I desperately want to move out of state but we realize that it isn't easy-or cheap- to just pack and up and leave and it may be just as tough next place we go. But our biggest problems in MI include the increasing crime rates and the drop in services, especially road services in the winter. What will things be like 10, 20 years down the road here-or anywhere for that matter?

So until then, we are making the best of what we've got and doing our best not to hate on Michigan-there's enough of that.

P.S-When my hubby was in the military, he never told people he was from Michigan, he just told them he was from Detroit. He said people don't remember Michigan but they'll remember Detroit. But he also said many would treat him a little differently, like "Wow, you're from Detroit? Yikes. You must be a violent hoodlum-type"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan