U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:44 PM

206 posts, read 407,191 times

Advertisements

I turned in an employer once years ago for the same thing. No breaks. If i was eating lunch and a customer came in, I'd have to top eating and wait on them. No big deal, but it got a little tiring day after day.

One thing I have learned is that there is a difference working that many hours in a fast food place and working that many hours in the corporate world.

The fast food workers work much harder than the corporate workers. So much waste at the corporate level. Sad, but true.

So stay in school and get your education. It does get easier.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 PM

64 posts, read 269,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Working at little ceasers is just one long lunch break. Dont you get to eat Pizza whenever you want?
Are $@@^$^$ KIDDING ME???????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????

:shoc ked:: shocked::shock ed:

If that's what you think, go apply right now. Start working there. You'll see what really goes on AND what really happens to your food.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 PM

47,528 posts, read 64,980,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
As a high school student in Michigan, I worked for sub minimum wage pay in a restaurant. By law, we weren't allowed to have our school and work hours exceed 40 per week. Well, I spent 30 hours per week at school, and another 25 - 30 at work. I liked it. I had a car payment (repaying Dad) and a girlfriend to support.

Everyone should be exploited at a young age; that way you can recognize it when you're older.....
I see those jobs as "character building jobs" and people who worked hard like that tend to be better, more flexible employees or bosses later.

What people should try to avoid is that factory worker mentality where everything is strictly by the clock. Learn to stretch yourself, build up stamina. Learn how a business works from bottom to top.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 PM

47,528 posts, read 64,980,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSideBay View Post
I work as many as 14 hours a day with no break. Isn't this illegal?
If you really can't handle it, then you could consider quitting, maybe find a job in a store at the mall or something.

You probably would not make it in health care and many kinds of jobs. Physician or nurses sometimes go through a time where they work horrible hours, a patient goes bad and they don't get a break.

When I was going to college, I'd work 16 hours on a Saturday, another 8 or 9 on Sunday, I'd sometimes get more than 50 hours a week in working and took a full 15-18 hour load at school. I still managed time for parties but the best thing I didn't have a big debt to pay off, no student loans.

It's also not legal here in this state for kids below a certain age to work over 8 hours but my 15 year old will sometimes put in 12 hours in one day. It's building stamina which may come in handy someday.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 PM
YAZ

7,242 posts, read 12,821,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I see those jobs as "character building jobs" and people who worked hard like that tend to be better, more flexible employees or bosses later.

What people should try to avoid is that factory worker mentality where everything is strictly by the clock. Learn to stretch yourself, build up stamina. Learn how a business works from bottom to top.

And go the extra mile without being asked to....it should be "natural".

Ya know, I've worked for some real p#^%&s, some business owners, some PhD's, et al. Might not have made a lot of money, but I sure learned a lot.

I'm out of work right now, and to me, it's just another opportunity.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:20 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Are $@@^$^$ KIDDING ME???????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????

:shoc ked:: shocked::shock ed:

If that's what you think, go apply right now. Start working there. You'll see what really goes on AND what really happens to your food.
If I were you, I wouldn't pursue a career in food service.

Or any industry that involved "hospitality".

You'll learn quick not to "knock" your present employer. Not really a good idea to "knock" 'em after ya leave either.

I would say that delivering newspapers might be better for you, but they keep weird hours. And ya gotta be prompt about it, so taking breaks might be out of the question.

I'm guessing that you have limited skills, being a college "student" and working at a pizza place. Suck it up for now....and get some good shoes.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you really can't handle it, then you could consider quitting, maybe find a job in a store at the mall or something.
If that were an option if would have already been done.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
And go the extra mile without being asked to....it should be "natural".

Ya know, I've worked for some real p#^%&s, some business owners, some PhD's, et al. Might not have made a lot of money, but I sure learned a lot.

I'm out of work right now, and to me, it's just another opportunity.
That is already being done. It's just that no one cares.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
YAZ

Quote:
That is already being done. It's just that no one cares.
It's gonna happen wherever ya work, trust me.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 AM

850 posts, read 1,767,374 times
you're not getting much support on here are ya?
well i do think it is unfair and i'm sorry you are in the situation. you'll find that there are many greedy business owners who only really care about themselves. i think if you want to be treated well, or even just fair, you're going to go through many employers to find the few who aren't like that. and sadly, in these times, i do think it is becoming rare to find good people anymore. people who value people more than money. working for yourself is the only sure way to avoid this. if you're frustrated now, you'll be even more frustrated as an adult and you're still going to find people like this.
whenever i had an employer like this, i started losing respect immediately. i would milk them for everything they had. in your case....lots of free food. maybe doing as much overtime as you can (but working as little as you can). make your own breaks. go to the bathroom.....alot. pretend you're a smoker and go outside for a 'smoke' break. push the limits without losing your job (if you even want to keep it). do them the way they do you. or just quit and try to find something else.
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan