Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 8,593 times

Advertisements

I would like to know the smallest passable house you can build. I may get a sum of money in the near future. But this money won't be enough to let me build the house most people build. I am not that greeding and would be happy to build the smallest house possible. I know it may matter from county to county to what the answer is to this question, but I can't tell you all where I live. I may move too. So if anyone has a near answer to this question, I would appreciate it truely. I hope this read is understandable. I keep having to change what I write on other forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,209,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinne View Post
I would like to know the smallest passable house you can build. I may get a sum of money in the near future. But this money won't be enough to let me build the house most people build. I am not that greeding and would be happy to build the smallest house possible. I know it may matter from county to county to what the answer is to this question, but I can't tell you all where I live. I may move too. So if anyone has a near answer to this question, I would appreciate it truely. I hope this read is understandable. I keep having to change what I write on other forums.
It will also change township to township. My township has no house size but, you have to have 200 foot of frontage. Subdivisions are the hardest on size.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,015,617 times
You'll need to visit your County Clerk's office or your local Township Hall to get minimum specs.

These change sometimes, so ya might see an area full of "cottages" that were grandfathered in after zoning laws were changed.

My first home in MI was a one bedroom cottage on the river with two beautiful acres of land. I wanted to tear it down and build a new home, and live on the property in a single wide trailer during construction.

Nope.

No trailers allowed in that neighborhood. I could've bought a motor home though, go figure.

Unless the structure was destroyed or condemned, there had to be three walls standing at all times. I.e., I could've added on.

I sold it, and the folks that own it now use it for its original intention. A summer getaway.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:20 PM

271 posts, read 249,856 times
If you look on line there are people who build 150 SF homes on wheeles. this way the zoning does not affect them and you do not have to pull permits. Downsizing to 100 square feet of bliss - CNN.com

Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM

12 posts, read 37,531 times
It seems to me that buy the time you purchase the lot and the materials to build this house you still would not be able to build it as cheaply as some of the foreclosures i have seen.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 PM

850 posts, read 1,889,355 times
i don't have much to add except i envy you....i've always wanted to build a small house for myself. to be able to create your own little dwelling and truly make it your own...i prefer small houses over large: less cleaning, less maintenance, less on utilities and there's something to be said about only having what you need. so many houses these days are ridiculously large and unnecessary.
good luck!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:47 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,775,119 times
A split level is your best bet. Maybe 800 sf finished up (2 BR, 1 ba), with the lower level unfinished.

Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan