Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:32 AM

355 posts, read 1,230,714 times

Advertisements

It is so damn sad! Michigan was hit the hardest because we were the motor city. I have been trying to find a "regular job" for the past couple of months. The only jobs left is fast food, and even those are taken. People only want to hire for seasonal jobs that pay $7.40 an hour. You can't even find a legit job on the online job boards because they are flooded with Internet marketer scams trying to make a buck from desperate people looking for a job. UGH

I am also a college graduate and my college friends also have low minimum jobs after studying 5 years in college! Also, you will have a harder time finding a job if you are a minority. When their are limited jobs, they aren't exactly saving them for the minorities..ya know?

So you wanna know what I did? I just started my writing business. I also write for two online writing companies which makes me about $70 a day. That coupled with my online writing agency makes me $240 a day. This isn't bad for someone who don't have a regular job. I say, for anyone struggling to make money online, find an online job. They have a lot of online customer service jobs that pay $10-$15 an hour. (shaking my head)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 AM

139 posts, read 314,937 times
This is why I moved to England. Pure and simple. Michigan is a sink hole of doom.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 AM

28 posts, read 43,560 times
You lived in Michigan and now you're in England? I would really love to talk to you. I am very seriously considering leaving the States.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 AM

139 posts, read 314,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBundy View Post
You lived in Michigan and now you're in England? I would really love to talk to you. I am very seriously considering leaving the States.
I was born and raised in Northern Michigan (Harbor Springs), went to Grand Valley State, and moved to Liverpool this past July (it is, afterall, the culture capital of the world oddly enough).

What makes you want to leave the states? The economy?

It's a long process, the whole visa thing...and then there's the separate work visa which is even harder to get because you need to line up a job and have someone sponsor you. It hasn't been easy, but it's good to be out of Michigan.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:41 AM

28 posts, read 43,560 times
Hi there. Thanks for your response. The main reason I want to leave is the economy. I have a bachelor's degree in psychology and paralegal certification and haven't been able to find anything that pays over $10 an hour. I have searched to the point where I am getting exhausted. Also, I don't think the country is headed in a very good direction as a whole. It seems our politicians are all bought and paid for by Wall Street and it is just setting itself up for another crash. Nothing changes. I just want a change of scenery I suppose. I'd like to be around a more intelligent class of people.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:48 PM

541 posts, read 985,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBundy View Post
I just want a change of scenery I suppose. I'd like to be around a more intelligent class of people.
Personally,from my perspective,no matter where you go,how far away you are,you will still manage to run into un-intelligent people,or as i like to call them...stupid.
From my understanding,here in the good ol' USA,we keep track of our stupid people by rounding them up,and then let them run for political office,And every four years we have the stupidbowl,kinda like the superbowl,only more fun to watch<sarcasm driller>.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:38 PM

265 posts, read 814,043 times
I'm trying to convince everyone to come to Virginia with me, where at least the job market's feeble (unemployment's usually between 4-6%), rather than stone-cold dead.[/quote]

Unfortunately, wanting to leave, and being able to leave are two different things. I've received a couple of letters to interview in VA, and I'd be outta here in a heartbeat, if I only had money to go.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 PM

110 posts, read 247,602 times
Unemployment here is at least over 35%.However,my cousin is employed as a teacher and not complaining a bit.There is some growth,but that is very insignificant when you consider the number of people looking to get a job.It is a beautiful state,but ruined by big corporations.I also know that even doctors can`t be employable here.Anyways what will happen with the black people in detroit??

Old 09-22-2009, 10:50 PM

271 posts, read 251,675 times
So many over the last year have tried to say that things were not that bad, and the bottom keeps getting deeper. How are the ice cream lines now? When people do not grasp reality it only makes the inevitable harder to handle. Does Driller still say property is holding its value? You can not give it away in MI now. The taxes are the only thing holding its value.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 PM

110 posts, read 247,602 times
Question is why were people here making misrepresentantions??? No fool says otherwise unless...unless...Meantime i am going to take pictures of the business areas for a neat album i have in mind. BTW isn`t woodward avenue and big beaver the main business hubby? Van Dyke and what not got leveled off back in 2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan