Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,732 times

Advertisements

I currently live between Virginia Beach and Williamsburg so I am use to the city life. I am tired of the hot humidity, the rude people, and the fast pase of life altogether. If I can find a job in southern Michigan (I work in the medical field) do you think it is the right time for me to move? I am expecting my first child this winter and would plan on moving next spring/summer if I am. I love the cold winters because I go out and enjoy them, I am looking for decent schools to raise my children, and commuting isn't a problem. Since my family lives there I have visited the Jackson area since I was a baby and have always desired to move there when I got older. I guess my only question is for everyone out there why does everyone hate Michigan so much? I know that the factories are cutting jobs but it makes it a little scary to relocate some place that everyone tells you beware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I don't think "everyone hates" Michigan - if you read through the MI forums you'll see a lot of people that really love it. I moved here from out west and quite like it.

People will tell you to beware because the job situation is terrible here; worse than many other states. And the fact that two of Michigan's larger cities - Detroit and Flint - are usually on the top of the "most dangerous cities" and "murder capital" lists. And Detroit's leadership has been a joke for many years - inept and corrupt. Most rust belt flyover states have less than a stellar reputation, it's not just Michigan. Personally I think that while very epressed economically and a bit provincial, it's beautiful, people are friendly and I love the four seasons.

I have friends down in the Jackson area and it's very pretty there. But realise that it will be extremely difficult to find a job, even in the medical field. Start sending out resumes and making connections now. I imagine you'll find housing a lot cheaper here than VA...can't help you with the schools, I don't have kids. Your Michigan family should be able to advise you.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:43 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
I would definitely look in the Grand Rapids area if you are thinking of moving to Michigan. It is more stable economically than most places in Michigan (still hurting though), and a little less reliant on the auto industry. It is growing into a regional center for health care.

Last edited by michigan83; 08-03-2009 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 AM

168 posts, read 840,727 times
Interesting....I moved from Mi to VA about a year ago.
Honestly, I don't know much about 'where' in Mi you might look...although I would hazard an opinion that areas that serve the automotive industry will be much more depressed and lacking in jobs than areas that rely on other industry.

One of the reasons I left was simply the overwhelming negativity that bombards you daily, constantly from every media source. And most likely you will never be more than 2 degrees of social separation from someone who just lost their job, going on welfare, getting layed off, unemployment ran out or some such situation.
It (for me) was very hard to simply make it through the day without constantly being reminded how everything is falling a part. Radio. News. Friends. Store closings...etc..etc.

Please note I lived worked in the Oak Park and Clarkston areas.....a bit north of Detroit. Other parts of Mi might be much different.

The general 'beware' comes from the irrefutable fact that Mi is one of the hardest hit states in the country by this economic crisis.

Best of luck,....Mi is a very, very beautiful state!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:46 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
If you hate hot, sticky summers, I strongly advice you to stay strictly away from the center of the state!!! Either coast is breezy and pleasant all summer, aside from the attraction of being close to the water itself. The humidity on the east side of Detroit is literally half what we're combating here in the hinterlands (I'm in Brighton, the trackless depths of the Huron River valley).

If you can relocate here, can bring your work with you or transfer your job, by all means come on down!!! Real estate is going at fire-sale prices right now.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:54 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Quote:
If you hate hot, sticky summers, I strongly advice you to stay strictly away from the center of the state!!! Either coast is breezy and pleasant all summer, aside from the attraction of being close to the water itself.
Remember... he'll be comparing it to Virginia. Virginia is warmer than Michigan.

As far as I'm concerned, it never gets hot enough in Michigan to warrant complaint. I think air conditioners should be outlawed in this state. And I grew up here.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 AM

364 posts, read 877,522 times
I know someone who used to live in Detroits northern suburbs and now lives in VA Beach...I really think youll like it here.

~As bad as the economy is, the medical field, you should be able to find a job.

~Per my friend, the people are DEFINITELY friendlier in SE MI than in VA Beach.

~Everyone does not hate MI. In fact, I can guarentee you that you will NOT see as much negativity in real life as you see on this board. The part of metro-Detroit I live in (downriver) does not have a negative feel or whatever, people generally walk around happy. The negativity/depression is mainly in the media and on these boards. Yes, there are far too many people unemployed...but if you have a job, you will love MI. Ever see "Pure Michigan" commercials? There are so many beautiful places in this state to visit.

~If you like winter, moving from VA Beach to SE MI will be quite a treat. You will see plenty of snow, cold, and be able to enjoy the season. If you move to SW MI, you will see even more snow. In our mildest of winters, there are still plenty of snowstorms...in the harshest of winters snow covers the ground nearly all winter long from Dec-March (along with a little snow in Nov and Apr as well). And you can always go up north to see tons of snow. Summers are so much more comfortable as well.

Good luck and enjoy MI!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:50 AM

845 posts, read 3,270,532 times
Look West... the west side of the state (anchored by Grand Rapids) is still experiencing some economic stability and has diversity of industry to help it weather long-term changes like those experienced by the auto industry.

It's not all wine and roses, but that's the case through much of the country right now.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
Depending on what part of the medical field you are in you might be able to relocate to just about anywhere in the state you choose. My wife works for DMC and is going to nursing school. When she finishes we can relocate to just about any city that has a decent sized medical facility because it seems like they are ALL hiring all the time. There have also been some new facilities going up. So do some reading and some research as to what area/area's have everything you need or desire and make some plans to visit. If you rent your first year you can always travel and take your time buying in a place you know you want to be. Then find a job in that city and move again. lol

Oh and you will want air conditioning. I have also lived in Michigan my entire life and with the exception of a handful of summers like the one we are having this year. It does get hot and sticky and sucks trying to sleep with no air.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Remember... he'll be comparing it to Virginia. Virginia is warmer than Michigan.

As far as I'm concerned, it never gets hot enough in Michigan to warrant complaint. I think air conditioners should be outlawed in this state. And I grew up here.
Warmer, but no more humid. Except on the east side, O I miss it so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan