Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,563 times

Advertisements

I went back to Michigan for a visit. I could not believe how every one was so down about Michigan.
There were a few people who had a positive attitude but they were people who did not have to work, I don't mean that they had retired but "worked" at a college.LOL and did not have to do any real work for a living. People that had to go out and make the country really work were hurting. Every one was so bummed that their homes were not worth anything and falling. Job's and friends were moving to better states.
It was so sad to go back.
To all those who want to move back home, be careful what you wish for you may get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 06:39 AM

104 posts, read 375,072 times
Is Michigan going down the drain?

Yes, absolutely. It totally sucks here. Worse than any other part of the country, the world, the universe. The only place with less employment is Pluto, and that's not even a planet anymore.

Tumbleweeds roll down the street. In fact, Michigan will soon be the center of a zombie attack.

I'm. Very. Serious.*

*Nah.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,533 times
Michigan certainly is falling behind other states. It's not "going down the drain". 6.9% unemployment is much lower than the early 1980's when it was about 16% I think.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:14 AM

866 posts, read 4,257,730 times
It seems like there are going to be no young people in the state at all (18-25 yrs) every one is either going to college in Michigan and then finding a job out of state. Or even just going to college out of state and never moving back. I suppose that it is good for the students who need a job, and at least they are not "trapped", but in the long run and currently it is going to put a huge dent in the Michigan economy.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
It seems like there are going to be no young people in the state at all (18-25 yrs) every one is either going to college in Michigan and then finding a job out of state. Or even just going to college out of state and never moving back. I suppose that it is good for the students who need a job, and at least they are not "trapped", but in the long run and currently it is going to put a huge dent in the Michigan economy.
I left after college and so did many people I knew. I'm back and so are most of them. Young people leave their hometowns in search of adventure and new lives, most eventually miss home or their parents start to get older, and they end up coming back. We need to stop the negativity, face the real problems with a sense of hope, and make sure they have something to come home to.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:14 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I left after college and so did many people I knew. I'm back and so are most of them. Young people leave their hometowns in search of adventure and new lives, most eventually miss home or their parents start to get older, and they end up coming back. That happens everywhere, not just Michigan. We need to stop the negativity, face the real problems with a sense of hope, and make sure they have something to come home to.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 25,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothian View Post
I went back to Michigan for a visit. I could not believe how every one was so down about Michigan.
There were a few people who had a positive attitude but they were people who did not have to work, I don't mean that they had retired but "worked" at a college.LOL and did not have to do any real work for a living. People that had to go out and make the country really work were hurting. Every one was so bummed that their homes were not worth anything and falling. Job's and friends were moving to better states.
It was so sad to go back.
To all those who want to move back home, be careful what you wish for you may get it.
It sure is brotha!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:40 PM

62 posts, read 202,726 times
My husband and I are in our mid 20's and currently trying to get out of this state. It IS depressing. I don't understand the people that are moving here.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,391 times
Default Religion a real problem

You know one of the biggest problems we have is religion. I was listening to Micheal Medved on his talk radio show. He stated that there is no problem with energy [oil] supply's and that we only need to drill more, he also said that the earth could support an unlimited number of people. A few months back he said that slaves had a better life than some blacks do today. It was James Watt that said because of the rapture coming soon that we needed to use the earth or loose it. These people are so dangerous I think we should lock them up in Gitmo.
I hope the neocons are put out of power this next election it is very important for the future of the nation and world.
The conservative idiots have denied the problem with global warming,energy crises, They only think of corporate profits and more money. You have on group of people dancing with snakes, and another blowing them selfs up to get seventy virgins. The problem is that they are going to kill us with this stupid belief in talking snakes and big kahoonas in the sky.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredNomad82 View Post
My husband and I are in our mid 20's and currently trying to get out of this state. It IS depressing. I don't understand the people that are moving here.
I do not believe that people are trying to move back in any numbers. It reminds me of the old story in readers digest where a Russian pilot defected to the usa and after a year remembered only the good things of the USSR and forgot all the bad he defected for. Michigan is much like the old USSR, you may remember a good time on the beach one summer but do not forget all the bad you left for.
There are many here who do not want to tell the truth that things world wide are very dangerously on the edge with oil and food shortages. Michigan has lost job's it will never get back. Detroit is the incredible shrinking auto industry is loosing job's each year. I drove past the only auto plant to be built in many years and it was in Mississippi no unions and by Toyota.
Housing is bad in michigan, if you had a twenty percent equity in you home last year you may now have none or even less than 0.
Those who keep saying quit the doom and gloom are afraid of looking at reality. They want to tell them selfs that some magic fairy will fly out of the woods and make it all ok. Sorry to tell you that there is not magic fairy and the great and wonderful bush is just a silly old man behind a curtain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan