Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,464 times

Advertisements

something interesting i found.......

"most wasp species are predators. Their function is in the control of many other insect species. They are actually very effective parasitoids, and because of this efficiency they have been used for decades as biological control agents. Many crop pests including horn worms and scale insects which cost millions of pounds in loss annulally are controled by wasps. Without these predators, tomatoes, oranges, tobacco, and many other important crops would be so scarce that the price of them would skyrocket. Their method of efficiency is that they will lay one egg on the back of a caterpillar, and throught the process of polyembrony, the egg multiplies itself, producing hundreds of larvae. These larvae hatch, kill the caterpillar, and pupate. Once development is compltete, the newly formed wasps will emerge and go out in search of their own caterpillar to deposit eggs on.
So next time you see one, learn to love it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,709 times
last 24 hrs been wild/ itching/ more red/ really hot...... been over a week and now the trouble starts again ! grrrrrr

Love them my behind..... rather have a worm then a wasp like this !

Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 AM

Update
it is now infected
Antibiotics, benadryl, Claratin and Advil.... + 20 min. ice packs.

Not better by friday will have to have IV.

Tell me how should I love this thing..so far it cost me over $ 80 !

Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM

197 posts, read 378,856 times
i have seen those around for a couple years now, rarely, but i have had a couple sightings. I figured they weren't native, as they just popped up one year and living in a forest you tend to notice all kinds of things. If they are invasive and are in the numbers you say they are in i would contact come one and they will probably come take care of them for you, no charge.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:44 PM

Havent seen any sense the 16th thats when I got bit.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times
I never even bothered to read this thread, but yesterday there it was, sitting on a plate in the sink........he was at least 1.25" long, solid black and I couldn't believe my eyes, it was defintely the biggest wasp I'd ever seen. I waved my hand to get him off the plate and he flew about 10 feet and I finally found a rolled up newspaper to kiil him, but it was some kind of freak of nature... a super wasp. I don't even know how he got in the house, (I run my AC 24/7 the last 3 months, no open windows).

Needless to say I'm sleeping with one eye open lately.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:44 PM

lol. thats the same one that got me !
feeling better now sense Meds kicked in, but I tell you I am always on the look out now when I go out.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:48 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,638 times
Better check your attic unless that super wasp just happened to come in the door with you. I'd get the occasional wasp in the house in spring/fall and couldn't figure out how until the insulating guy found the nest in the attic. One of the vent seals got a hole in it and they came in there.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,488 times
By any chance is this what you saw? Just snapped this pick in my back yard. There are a few of them out there. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Old 09-04-2009, 06:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtroitin View Post
By any chance is this what you saw? Just snapped this pick in my back yard. There are a few of them out there. Can anyone tell me what it is?
No, the big black wasps are solid black and the one I saw was at least an 1 1/4" long. I don't what that is in your pic, but I've seen them around my place too. I don't Know MI bugs to well, I moved here from FL and back home we would call that a yellow jacket.

I think that bug in your pic is the species that stung me a couple weeks ago. It dive-bombed me out of a tree and stung the top of my hand....it happened so quick I didn't even see what it was. Later that same night my hand swelled up real bad and I couldn't even close my hand to make a fist and I could hardly grasp anything. After the swelling went away it became very itchy for a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan