Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:52 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
MI seasons
Winter: Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar,
Spring: Apr,May
Summer: Jun-Aug
Fall: Sept, Oct
I think you shorted the winter month tally. I've only been through 6 or 7 MI winters and have seen it snow at least 3 times in April and I'm in SW lower 40 miles from the Indiana border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:46 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
It is interesting for me reading some of these posts here. AZ is no paradise even though so many people move there. I never thought the AZ economy was so bad.

If it came down to choosing where to live between the Detroit metro area versus the Phoenix metro area, I'd pick Detroit because I'm not the biggest fan of 110+ degree heat day after day. And also, Detroit has 4 seasons which means there are changes in the weather and not the same old constant thing. Property prices in Detroit are cheaper too which means your hard earned dollars go farther.

And the Red Wings OWN the Coyotes
Huh?

There's a hockey team out here?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thanks! And may I just add to that list of things that I miss farm fresh sweet corn and tomatoes in August. The produce in the stores out here is...ugh...well, it all looks like it was shipped across the desert from the California coast, which it probably was. Gosh...I feel like breaking out in song and singing that Daughtry song, "Home", except I don't know the lyrics except for "I'm going home"...
It was. Most of the produce we get is from CA and Mexico. Hmmm. Kinda like Michigan's selection most of the year.

Oh yeah, I've been to Meijer's Shifty Fakers....

I DO miss the sweet corn; hardly a reason to move back though. I'll just petition you nice folks to send us some....

If folks hate AZ THAT much, then they should "go home". The complaining cab be "tiresome". When I left Michigan, I didn't bash my home. I wanted a new start, a positive change, and a chance to explore.

Besides, I had dated all of the eligible womenfolk in my town.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 AM
YAZ

Quote:
We lived in SE Michigan, about 45 min. outside of Detroit in Monroe Co. We live in the Arrowhead Ranch section of Glendale, AZ FOR NOW, will be back in MI, God willing, before the snow (the beautiful, fresh, cool, snow) flies!!!!
Arrowhead is nice.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:53 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
If folks hate AZ THAT much, then they should "go home". The complaining cab be "tiresome". When I left Michigan, I didn't bash my home. I wanted a new start, a positive change, and a chance to explore.
I couldn't agree more. That's why we are going home. Life is too short. AZ is nice for those who like it, and for the rest of us, we either need to leave or quit beefing. We are choosing the former. We could stay and try to like it, but why, if we can go back to where we were happy. We have learned a valuable lesson, and that alone was worth the move and subsequent move back.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:48 PM
YAZ

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. That's why we are going home. Life is too short. AZ is nice for those who like it, and for the rest of us, we either need to leave or quit beefing. We are choosing the former. We could stay and try to like it, but why, if we can go back to where we were happy. We have learned a valuable lesson, and that alone was worth the move and subsequent move back.

I wish you the best.

At least you'll be back in time for those beautiful fall colors and Indian summer.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:45 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,354 times
I moved from MI to AZ in 2005, and find Michigan to be superior to AZ. Just think about it....Michigan provides four seasons, green grass, you can grow your vegetables if you want, and when it gets cold just put on more clothing, Michigan actually has industry and produces goods, cost of living in MI is WAY more affordable than AZ, and the people have great midwest values and are freindlier. AZ is always brown, no grass, no way of growing any of your own veggies if you wanted too, oppressive heat for 5 months at a time, no industry to speak of, most jobs are very low paying that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future, and the cost of living is high compared to incomes, and AZ has the single WORST education in the country. Trust me, even though MI leads the nation in unemployment, it is superior to AZ! In fact, many people are considering moving outta here due to the very few jobs hat are rarely available, even in a good economy. MI wins, hands down. AZ is not at all what people think it is!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:53 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,354 times
I moved from MI to AZ in 2005, and find Michigan to be superior to AZ. Just think about it....Michigan provides four seasons, green grass, WATER, you can grow your vegetables if you want, and when it gets cold just put on more clothing, Michigan actually has industry and produces goods, cost of living in MI is WAY more affordable than AZ, and the people have great midwest values and are freindlier.

AZ is always brown and dead, no grass, no way of growing any of your own veggies if you wanted too, oppressive heat for 5 months at a time (and U can only take off so much clothing), no industry to speak of, most jobs are very low paying that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future, the cost of living is unreasonably high compared to incomes, the single WORST education in the country, and a high rate of violent crime. Trust me, even though MI leads the nation in unemployment, it is superior to AZ! In fact, many people are considering moving outta here due to the very few jobs hat are rarely available, even in a good economy. AZ is not at all what people think it is and I dont know why so many even consider moving there. Heck, at least New Mexico is better.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:34 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,276 times
Lived in AZ for a number of years before moving to MI a year and half ago. Should of done it a long time ago. There's an intangible pride that's unmistakable here in MI which is absent in virtually every corner of that sorry state, and for good reason.

Michigan’s Second City | Pure Michigan Connect

Last edited by actinic; 08-15-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 03:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Your response is so ridiculous and filled with such nonsense I don't even know where to begin.

" I always hated the you can just put more clothing on argument. I think that normally comes from people who've never experienced a real winter."

I've lived in Michigan for 42 years and have seen my share of winters. This is still my opinion. Hell we used to put up a tent to go deer hunting when we hunted and that was in the U.P Bundle up to get the mail? When I worked 2nd shift it was so hot in our plant myself and a handful of people wore shorts to work. ALL WINTER.
I won't even attempt to get into your temp comparisons. But I would like you to show me the stat's where hypothermia is a common and everyday occurrence. Does it happen? Sure to people who get lost in the woods for days in bitter cold, or homeless people. But name one time that a person got frost bite or hypothermia getting their mail, driving to work. Hell ice fisherman sit on a little stool all day long in the cold and you make it sound like they are falling over dead on a daily basis.
I'm not going to knock Arizona here, but I'd be willing to bet heat stroke and heat related health issues are more common there than your claims of hypothermia are here. Don't know if you have ever been to Arizona but here are a few facts. Because of the heat you do not feel yourself sweet. Also here you breath in air with a lot of moisture and expel air with a lot of moisture. In Arizona you breath in dry air and expel moisture with that same air. Therefor speeding up the process of dehydration and heat stroke and other heat related health issues. After 2 days there I became really sick. I had drank coffee and a little diet pop. NO WATER. My body ached, my head hurt and I felt very weak. Because it's just the way of life out there nobody thought to make sure I was drinking water, they just assumed I was until these symptoms. Here in MI I rarely ever drink water. After that spell I did not step outside, get in the car or venture anywhere without a bottle of water or two in hand. This is just what you HAVE TO DO on a daily basis out there. Oh and just to point out this was April and it was under 100 degree's the entire time so it was not even the killer heat of summer.

In conclusion I will just make one more point. I spend a lot of time in the Arizona forum as I mentioned because my wife wants to move there. I see people who live in Arizona complain about feeling imprisoned in their home by the heat more often that I see people say they feel imprisoned in their homes by the cold. One thing I noticed that I felt was odd out there. AM roads are overflowing with traffic. Mid morning afternoon, very little traffic on the roads. Rush hour streets are jammed again. 7 or 8pm the streets are once again empty. Like my buddy YAZ pointed out, the states are so very different and Az is not for everyone, just like Michigan is not for everyone. I found many things great about Arizona, but also many things very strange. Mainly the lack of kids playing outside.

Not all Arizona is hot. Arizona has 4 seasons within a few hours drive even in the areas that are the warmest.

It comes down to if people prefer to be cold, have heaters on - which means you live with dry air, in fact in Michigan the air is so dry in the winter that you create sparks walking across a room, zapping anything you touch where you don't get that in the SW.

People who prefer not to have to put several layers of clothing on every time they step outdoors would prefer the SW.

To me more than the cold is the sunshine -- day after day, beautiful invigorating sunshine. What drove me out most, more than the long cold winters was the many cloudy days. It just comes down to preference, I prefer long long summers and winters filled with sunlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan