Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Holt might be an option as well. Delta Township might not be bad and I think Waverly is the main school district in that area. Can't forget DeWitt too. Here's some information on Lansing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansing...#Neighborhoods

http://www.cityoflansingmi.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansing,_Michigan

http://www.lansingneighborhoods.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Holt might be an option as well. Delta Township might not be bad and I think Waverly is the main school district in that area. Can't forget DeWitt too. Here's some information on Lansing: Lansing, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Lansing, Michigan

Lansing, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.lansingneighborhoods.com/
I looked in DeWitt a bit already online...they have some nice homes it seems. How's the school district up that way?

Also...do you know anything about Grand Ledge?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:09 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
I looked in DeWitt a bit already online...they have some nice homes it seems. How's the school district up that way?

Also...do you know anything about Grand Ledge?
Grand Ledge is fine too. DeWitt has good schools from what I remember. Here's a good site for checking out schools in the Lansing area and for other areas as well: Michigan schools - MI elementary, middle and high school information

Michigan schools - MI elementary, middle and high school information

Michigan schools - MI elementary, middle and high school information

I would say that school districts like East Lansing, Holt, Okemos and Haslett are good too. Waverly seems to be good, for the most part too. Not sure about Lansing City Schools, but that might vary in terms of which school you go to. It seems like the schools in the SE corner of the city around Mount Hope and Pennsylvania ave are pretty good. I think that area feeds into Everett High.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-22-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 12:26 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,032,431 times
Even the perceived "bad" areas of Lansing are not too bad. The city has some things going for it, and some things going against it, primarily the horrible economy. Lansing was also the victim of some terrible urban renewal -- I think there are more parking lots in the city than there are buildings. But the skyline is attractive for a small city -- the Olds Tower and Capitol building make a romantic backdrop for a dying industrial town.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,124 times
Good areas to look:
Dewitt, Okemos, East Lansing, Mason, Holt, Grand Ledge, Haslett

All of which are 0-10 min from your local grocery, shopping, entertainment areas

Lansing itself is very hit or miss, but even being so a very good neighborhood anywhere in the city is easily within walking distance of a not-so-good/bad area of town. The public schools are not the best, I personally would not send my children to them.

Check google maps and if any of the below roads are close, avoid them...

waverly, jolly to holmes
pleasant grove, jolly to homes
baker
anything between cedar and washington north of mt hope & south of I-496
kalamazoo, pennsylvania to US-127
downtown, MLK to penn. between 496 & grand river/north st
some areas around turner
some areas east of MLK between 496 & willow
miller, cedar to waverly

all around its a better bet to go for east lansing, okemos, or surrounding areas of lansing

Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times
nm

Old 09-03-2009, 06:32 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,294 times
I lived in Lansing for a several years, but it's been about five years since I moved away, so things could have changed...

If I had kids, I would not live in Lansing itself if they are school aged. I would look at Okemos or East Lansing. For the kind of house you can afford, definately those areas.

I remember Lansing fondly for the dirt cheap housing costs -- I was able to buy my first house when I never thought I'd be able to, around 1999. A cute 627 sq ft house on Pennsylvania Ave. for $45,000!

Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 AM

66 posts, read 339,869 times
I lived in Lansing two out of the four years I went to Michigan State. It has been a number of years, but at the time I really enjoyed it. If they could built a light rail system from Okemos to Downtown/Old Town, then out to Delta Twp. or the Airport, I would consider moving back to Lansing when I retire (at least from April to October)

My sister had a gorgeous place on the northeastern side of Lansing off Grand River with gracious rooms, leaded glass, and French Doors. She also lived in a place off South Cedar where I saw cockroaches for the first time in my life.

Take your time and check things out. Much of Lansaing is tired and just worn out, but most of it isn't really dangerous ...

Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 25,011 times
I live in Grand Ledge and have for years, it's a great smaller town without the "small town" gossip and annoying insider attitude. Great historic houses, a fwe parks, river walk, island, ledges, great schools.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conovercourt View Post
I lived in Lansing two out of the four years I went to Michigan State. It has been a number of years, but at the time I really enjoyed it. If they could built a light rail system from Okemos to Downtown/Old Town, then out to Delta Twp. or the Airport, I would consider moving back to Lansing when I retire (at least from April to October)

My sister had a gorgeous place on the northeastern side of Lansing off Grand River with gracious rooms, leaded glass, and French Doors. She also lived in a place off South Cedar where I saw cockroaches for the first time in my life.

Take your time and check things out. Much of Lansaing is tired and just worn out, but most of it isn't really dangerous ...
Lightrail in Lansing? You must be joking. They dont even have lightrail in most cities that are 10-times the size of Lansing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan