Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 AM

43 posts, read 99,328 times

Advertisements

Just curious, if you met someone from Louisiana or if you have before, what is your first thought that comes to mind or a question about where they are from.

when you think of Louisiana what pops into your mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
I think of the movie "Water Boy." And names that end in -eaux.

I did have a professor from Louisiana in college. He was pretty cool. His name did end in -eaux too, so I'm assuming all stereotypes are true, just like that one was

Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Hot, bugs, nutria all over the roads, New Orleans, Navy boot camp, sazerac (sp?) cocktail.

Yes I've spent time in LA, do I get a prize?
Ooohhhh....and really, really great food. Srsly.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
Being I'm originally from FL and a fan of the SEC......LSU.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Great food and better music, tragedy (New Orleans and Katrina).

Louisiana reminds me of Ancestors that came North many years ago. Poking around the bayous looking for Alligators with my brother a few years ago. Hitting a small one in the middle of the night South of New Orleans. A few great nights eating and playing pool with new found friends in Lake Charles on a wandering about trip I made years ago. A steaming pot of Jambalaya down in Bremond with friends of my Brothers he was stationed with and their extended families. That is what hearing Louisiana reminds me of.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:27 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
LA.....

.....crawdad head sucking.

Trees that grow in water with that moss stuff hangin' on 'em.

French rednecks.

Cool cemetaries.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM

902 posts, read 1,925,668 times
'' French rednecks '' lol !

I think of Bobby Hebert who was a quarterback of the Michigan Panthers/New Orlean Saints

I think of my French Canadian/Acadian heritage and some of my family history that fled Canada to Louisiana

I think of swamps lol

I think of the fictional (?) town of Bon Temp in HBO's '' True Blood''

I think thats about it .

LaRue is listed here :
Acadian Genealogy Homepage... Master Index

Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM

okay, about what i figured. there are stereotypes that are true, but not for all people, but good lord there are some that fit the exact stereotype from movies lol like water boy.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:36 PM

oh and it is spanish moss, i love it and think it is pretty, my husband thinks it looks like a big mess lol

I love hearing things about Louisiana that others who dont live here think or know....

I am going to miss our spices

Old 08-24-2009, 03:22 PM

49 posts, read 205,071 times
Its home and I'm here in Louisiana, Never thought I'd see a forum in the Michigan forum about Louisiana.

Yes my last name does end in -eaux- Breaux (BRO) to be exact. No we are not like the Fake rendition of the Hollywood movie the WaterBoy. I have never seen a movie come out of Hollywood that can get the accent right or actually understand our Culture & Customs.

You have to visit to experience true Louisiana, the swamps are beautiful, LSU, Saints, Hornets, Our lively cities of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Shreveport , & Others. Plenty of wonderful Towns with their own Identities, Not like the Cookie clutter of Suburbia like the rest of America. We are probably one of the only states that still have a true Culture & Identity besides Hawaii.

The food is awesome, Shrimp anyway you want it, Catfish, Boudin, Crawfish, Blue Point Crabs, Jambalaya, Gumbo, Po-boys, Muffalotta are some of our great dishes, there's too many to list.

Music like Jazz, Zydeco, Cajun are all great forms of local music & talent performed and sung by our very own residents.

There is too much to list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: