Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM

133 posts, read 357,505 times

Advertisements

nah,the biggest gay club is in the state capital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
interesting to hear all the comments about Grand Rapids... out of all the Western Michigan/Northwest Indiana cities it is the only one with a gay club... so I actually thought it was one of the more progressive cities of the region.
There are actually two gay night clubs, two small gay bars, and a gay coffee house (I believe). Not saying that heteros can't go to them, but that's the majority of their clientele.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
interesting to hear all the comments about Grand Rapids... out of all the Western Michigan/Northwest Indiana cities it is the only one with a gay club... so I actually thought it was one of the more progressive cities of the region.
There are 2 gay clubs in GR: Diversions and Rumors.

The issue is that metro Grand Rapids is pretty conservative (socially and economically). The city of Grand Rapids is quite progressive (socially, environmentally).

Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM

Looks like Macomb County (Northern suburb of Detroit) is the most Republican/Conservative/Red County in Michigan, with 96% of voters going for Bush in 2004:

Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Bush (Republican) in the 2004 Presidential Election

Roscommon County was also high on the list.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I'm looking to relocate with my family--wife and young children--to MI. We're evangelicals and active Republicans so we want a pretty conservative part of the state. But we also want the ammenities of the big city we're coming from. I've heard that Grand Rapids is a good bet...any other suggestions?
If you like a small-town feel try Livingston County. It's bottomlessly Republican and thoroughly Christian, and the houses are going for fire-sale prices, never mind the asking price. But you're 20 minutes from Ann Arbor, 45 minutes from Detroit and about half an hour from Lansing.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,006 times
I say Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, or East Lansing, Michigan. Those are very nice areas to stay... mainly East Lansing, Michigan I like how its family friendly and greeny neighborhoods. When its fall there its very attractive, you have to see it for yourself. Farmington Hills, Michigan has one of the Nations top school. So that also may be a get go...

Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I say Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, or East Lansing, Michigan. Those are very nice areas to stay... mainly East Lansing, Michigan I like how its family friendly and greeny neighborhoods. When its fall there its very attractive, you have to see it for yourself. Farmington Hills, Michigan has one of the Nations top school. So that also may be a get go...
East Lansing and Ann Arbor are most definitely NOT on the list of most conservative places in Michigan (which is the topic of this discussion).

Just pointing that out.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 AM

Even the Bible Belt between Grand Rapids and Holland is slowly evolving:

Hudsonville picks booze to spark growth - Latest News - The Grand Rapids Press - MLive.com

Zeeland and Grandville overturned their "dry status" just in the past year or two as well. That area has such an influx of people because of its inexpensive new homes going up that it was bound to happen eventually.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,638 times
I'd say the more appropriate word would be devolving since we're talking about a moral decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Even the Bible Belt between Grand Rapids and Holland is slowly evolving:

Hudsonville picks booze to spark growth - Latest News - The Grand Rapids Press - MLive.com

Zeeland and Grandville overturned their "dry status" just in the past year or two as well. That area has such an influx of people because of its inexpensive new homes going up that it was bound to happen eventually.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM

18 posts, read 119,626 times
Midland is very conservative and fits what you are looking for. The town shuts down after the mall closes. We have a ton of churches, an new tripple A ball team "Loons". Midland is also the Home of 99.7 family life radio and The Mackinaw Center for Public Research. ALso a very big homeschooling area.

You are only 150 miles form Detroit and about the same for GR. And if your into Mega Churches we have one on its way Midland Evangalical Free Church "MEFC" to the locals. Big Baptist, Lutheren, Catholic and another cant remember the denom but its called Christian Celebration Center. The other church is Soccer. Huge soccer field on the east side of town, always packed on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan