Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:25 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times

Advertisements

We're doing good. Not to concerned about the future in regards to employment. Out of our extended families and friends we only know 4 or 5 people who've been hurt by the recession in any big way (not counting house values, but no one we know is in danger of losing their house).
Regardless we feel it is wise/prudent to live like we could lose our employment at anytime. We shop the thrift stores, grow gardens, do our own food storage, stock up on loss leaders at the stores, etc. etc.

Looking forward to winter. Last year we passed the 200" mark, hopefully this year we'll pass the 250" mark!
(Yes I start going crazy from cabin fever in February/March but I still love winter and snow! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Generally most people seem to be doing ok. We have seen a few stores and resturuants close, but several new places have opened up. There is not net growth, but our area (downriver) is more or less holding its own. We lost a jewlry store, a pet store, several car dealerships a couple of pool stores, and some crafts shops. We gained a moive theater, , a walgreens os somethign simlar, a coldstone, and an Olgas, a few otehr small places that I have no interest in so I do not remember what they sell. All in all, it is pretty much a push. A few buildings are newly emptied and a few formerly empty buildings are newly filled and even some new buildings built. What we are seeing is consolidation. Some aearas are emptying out while the new stores are opening in other areas where more businesses are doing ok.

Everyone is really nervous about the next two years. No one is really pessimistic, but they are adopting a kind of wait and see attitude and are scared. Many people are avoiding big investments (new car, major home rennovations, real estate purchases, etc.) . I think that it would be very difficult to seel somethig like a boat or an RV right now.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Generally most people seem to be doing ok. We have seen a few stores and resturuants close, but several new places have opened up. There is not net growth, but our area (downriver) is more or less holding its own. We lost a jewlry store, a pet store, several car dealerships a couple of pool stores, and some crafts shops. We gained a moive theater, , a walgreens os somethign simlar, a coldstone, and an Olgas, a few otehr small places that I have no interest in so I do not remember what they sell. All in all, it is pretty much a push. A few buildings are newly emptied and a few formerly empty buildings are newly filled and even some new buildings built. What we are seeing is consolidation. Some aearas are emptying out while the new stores are opening in other areas where more businesses are doing ok.

Everyone is really nervous about the next two years. No one is really pessimistic, but they are adopting a kind of wait and see attitude and are scared. Many people are avoiding big investments (new car, major home rennovations, real estate purchases, etc.) . I think that it would be very difficult to seel somethig like a boat or an RV right now.
Olgas rules!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 PM

364 posts, read 877,803 times
Most in my family, most of my friends, neighbors are doing just fine. In fact, a few of my friends are getting 50-hour work weeks (and making good money). I know personally only a very few people who have lost their jobs. People have been spending more carefully these days, that is a fact, but day in and day out, in my work, personal life, and community, I simply do NOT see all the negative/scary stuff that some people are in this economy. As ColdJensens said, things are doing ok here downriver. In fact (and perhaps this is because many people cant afford to go out of town for vacation this year), everywhere I have been going (stores, restaurants, community events) has seems busier than ever!

As for winter, Im looking forward to it. The past 2 winters the Detroit area has been seeing snowfall totals more common of northern Michigan, and Im hoping to continue that for a 3rd winter. Ive always been a 4-seasons person, so fall comes first. One of my favorite months is October, the air crisp, the trees blazing in color. But once winter gets here, I welcome the snow. Heating bills were murder the last two winters, and this is a combination of rising costs and severe winters. However, doing little things like turning the thermostat way down when no ones home, and wearing sweaters when at home can save on some money.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I imagine it depends on your social or work circle....I don't know anyone personally (as in, anyone I can name) who is on unemployment. However, I know many people who are self employed in the skilled trades/construction who aren't eligible for unemployment and struggling because there is little work. I also know people who are still employed but working fewer hours, and overtime or benefits cut. And I have friends who are doing very well, no worries.

My own business (home improvement) has pretty much screeched to a halt over the last year. I have no work for the two guys who depended on me for income, and feel badly about that. They both found other work; albeit low pay. I'm lucky: I have other skills and am currently making the bulk of my living freelance writing in the stretches of time between jobs. I paid cash for my house - it's small and crappy but yay no mortgage. I have two vehicles, both older but in good shape and paid for. Realizing that being self employed means if the bottom falls out or I get injured or something I don't have the unemployment benefits safety net, I've made conscious decisions to live within my means. I'm in Flint, I know how bad it is for many people, I see dwindling and shuttered businesses everywhere. That doesn't mean it's doom and gloom for everyone though.

I'm looking forward to fall and winter too! I love it.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:55 AM

850 posts, read 1,898,619 times
i think it just depends on the field you work in. i have two family members who just got laid off from gm, they are nervous as they are in their 50's, have a mortgage and some health problems. have no idea of what they are going to do. i have another friend who managed to keep her purchasing job at gm and is still spending her money like there's no tomorrow (even after a pay cut). the rest of my friends/family are not automotive and are doing fine.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
My wife & I are childless with 2 Yorkshire Terriers. We both have good steady jobs and a house we own outright. $5.4K in taxes per annum is bothersome though. Looking forward to a frigid, snowy winter. We're going to Anguilla for week at the end of February so that will make winter EASY to take

Old 09-01-2009, 06:20 AM

339 posts, read 975,910 times
I think its great that some people in the board have a positive outlook. But I think it all depends on what area you live and what industry you are in. My neighboorhood is infested with engineers (and so are my husband and I) so things are looking pretty grim right now. At work everybody is overworked and tired. We have been putting in 50 - 55 hr/weeks but we are making less than two years ago working 40hrs.
Two of my closest friends (a couple) lost their jobs withing a two month period from each other last year. They almost lost their house after many months of unemployment, a beautiful house in Oakland twp. They eventually found jobs but their combined income is now about 60% of what they used to make. They are both engineers with Masters degrees and MBA's.
I guess if you are somehow related to the automotive industry there are many reasons to be depressed right now.
There are a couple of engineers in my neighborhood that work in the defense industry though and they seem to be doing ok. One of them just bought a brand new car (but it was foreign, yuck).

Old 09-01-2009, 06:45 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
I'm doing well, as are most of the people I'm close to.

I did finally encounter my first "laid-off friend" last week, though.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
A store I liked in TC is closing. I went in today, and the owner said everything was half off due to her ending the business. I said I was sorry to see her go. She said it was a difficult summer, and she simply didn't want to go further and further in debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan