Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Besides, if you can properly use the word "diaspora" - someone will want to hire you.
lol, NO DOUBT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
The OSU wackos would have driven you nuts anyway. Can't wait to beat their overrated behinds in Ann Arbor this November. Ohio is one state I vow to never live in. Don't even like driving through it.

Hope you find something that keeps you here. I feel your pain. I know if I lost my job right now I would most likely be headed out of state as well. Always looking at the job postings just to keep my finger on the pulse of things, and there is hardly anything.........definitely in Michigan, but most other places as well. Tough times.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,332 times
OSU fans are the nicest people in the world once you put on a "No UofM" shirt.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:25 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Besides, if you can properly use the word "diaspora" - someone will want to hire you.
I gotta admit I never knew of that word before this thread. Should I be embarrassed or grateful that I have added it to my vocabulary?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 PM

110 posts, read 247,538 times
There is so many reasons and when you have neighbours that suck it is just wonderful.I have had buncha kids drive by and call me a ***.I have neighbours who downright suck.I have damned the day i bought that house.Excuse me for the language,but people gotta harass you no matter what.I only mind my own business wtf.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I gotta admit I never knew of that word before this thread. Should I be embarrassed or grateful that I have added it to my vocabulary?
Grateful. I was an engluish major and now as a lawyer I read and write all day long except when I am in court or depositions. I am not embarrassed to say that had not heard of that word before. I had to look it up to see what it meant. Now I have a new word.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:59 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Grateful. I was an engluish major and now as a lawyer I read and write all day long except when I am in court or depositions. I am not embarrassed to say that had not heard of that word before. I had to look it up to see what it meant. Now I have a new word.
Diaspora is a Greek word that means seeds or spreading of a common seed(s). For example, people will say the African diaspora in reference to people and culture of African descent throughout the world. Say if you are of Irish descent, you are a part of the Irish diaspora. So, when kazoopilot states this, he is showing that he is a person with roots in Michigan to some substantial degree.

By the way kazoopilot, I can hook a brother up possibly with something here in the 'Cuse or vicinity. Here's a good website to check out, if you are interested: Central New York Jobs PM me if you have any questions.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:54 AM

10 posts, read 21,759 times
most of my family left michigan in the late nineties, my parents both worked for tier one suppliers and had great jobs, the only problem was they knew the suv craze would end pretty quick so they sold our large house and moved to northern virginia where alot of defense contractors were hiring engineers. they still rent a small apartment in troy because they have friends who live in michigan but it is very sad to see so many of them leaving michigan as well.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 AM

943 posts, read 2,279,916 times
Sorry to hear that kzoo pilot, I know you did care about Three Rivers quite a bit and was sad to even move to Niles. Columbus is a big city, it may be hard to find your way around, the streets all go in circles, but you may find things there you like. Some of my relatives moved down there for work. You do have to survive. As you know I left town I loved too due to economic factors.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:25 AM

110 posts, read 247,538 times
Just wondering,do you mean that the greeks or better say hellenes of yesterday are today`s greeks?So called ancient greeks have nothing to do with today greeks.However italians with romans do,but far from completely.Anyways, the point is that modern languages are not built on air.It is how we communicate and other people have communicated before us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan