Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBundy View Post
This state's policies are so backwards. The people seem to get dumber and trashier by the day. I remember when the population was semi-intelligent. It looks like all of southeastern Michigan has what I call "Detroit Syndrome". The bottom-of-the-barrel stay, the ones who have the means to leave get out.
You are trying to make the entire State out to be the same as Detroit. It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 02:18 PM

28 posts, read 43,554 times
I didn't say the entire state. I specifically said southeastern Michigan. It is a trend and it is filtering outward, like a cancer. If you don't believe me look at what's happening to Warren, Dearborn, East Pointe, etc. Check the statistics. Over 20% unemployment (note: that is just the OFFICIAL rate) in many areas. Home invasions and thefts increasing significantly. Strip malls with 50% occupancy that used to be at 100% a few years ago. People slangin' dope just to feed their families. It does get better as you go further north, I will give you that. But even those areas are feeling a lot of pain. On my aunt's street in Troy it seems like 1 out of every 3-4 people you talk to is out of work. In my neighborhood in Macomb Township my next door neighbor who is 84 years old was robbed in her sleep last month. The family next to her left due to foreclosure. The guy across the street was laid off from GM and suffered a heart attack. The woman who lives next to him will have to contend with a 48% budget cut for her school district. I can't speak for other parts of Michigan and didn't intend to. I hope you see my point.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You are trying to make the entire State out to be the same as Detroit. It isn't.

What is wrong with that? Many say Detroit is turning a new leaf. CNN now has made it a mission to bring Detroit's "situation" to the the world.

So say we all...

Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 PM

CNN goes wherever the ratings are. Plain and simple. And for Detroit turning a new leaf... maybe it will but not for years and years. It will take decades if the city has any chance of true revitalization. And it will require a less blantantly racist, more intelligent and integrated city council. If you don't think city council is a joke, go to YouTube and check out Monica Conyers - City Council meetings. Your jaw will drop.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:58 PM

Check out this clip- these are the people running Detroit!

YouTube - Detroit City Council members sing

Old 09-28-2009, 05:07 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBundy View Post
I didn't say the entire state. I specifically said southeastern Michigan. It is a trend and it is filtering outward, like a cancer. If you don't believe me look at what's happening to Warren, Dearborn, East Pointe, etc. Check the statistics. Over 20% unemployment (note: that is just the OFFICIAL rate) in many areas. Home invasions and thefts increasing significantly. Strip malls with 50% occupancy that used to be at 100% a few years ago. People slangin' dope just to feed their families. It does get better as you go further north, I will give you that. But even those areas are feeling a lot of pain. On my aunt's street in Troy it seems like 1 out of every 3-4 people you talk to is out of work. In my neighborhood in Macomb Township my next door neighbor who is 84 years old was robbed in her sleep last month. The family next to her left due to foreclosure. The guy across the street was laid off from GM and suffered a heart attack. The woman who lives next to him will have to contend with a 48% budget cut for her school district. I can't speak for other parts of Michigan and didn't intend to. I hope you see my point.
Be careful, your posting in the MI forums...regardless of how 3rd world things become in Michigan, there will be a hoard of over zealous ostriches that upon hearing a hint of negativity will fling their heads out of the sands of denial and post the anti-matter. Although, I have found that there are people that care here, but most who wish to live a semi-normal existence do leave, many reluctantly. Although as we can witness with Detroit and Lansing, government sends a strong message to the public: we care not. I imagine there will be a point of desperation, a turning point...as 100,000 people are scheduled to loose their UIA benefits this December, and unemployment inches toward 30% in Detroit, one can only wonder how much suffering people will really endure.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:28 AM

32 posts, read 79,568 times
Quote:
MittenDweller82
"we care not. I imagine there will be a point of desperation, a turning point...as 100,000 people are scheduled to loose their UIA benefits this December, and unemployment inches toward 30% in Detroit, one can only wonder how much suffering people will really endure."
This is what scares me..... When one becomes desperate - then what happens ? What do they do?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 AM

110 posts, read 247,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenDweller82 View Post
Be careful, your posting in the MI forums...regardless of how 3rd world things become in Michigan, there will be a hoard of over zealous ostriches that upon hearing a hint of negativity will fling their heads out of the sands of denial and post the anti-matter. Although, I have found that there are people that care here, but most who wish to live a semi-normal existence do leave, many reluctantly. Although as we can witness with Detroit and Lansing, government sends a strong message to the public: we care not. I imagine there will be a point of desperation, a turning point...as 100,000 people are scheduled to loose their UIA benefits this December, and unemployment inches toward 30% in Detroit, one can only wonder how much suffering people will really endure.
Some such over zealous ostriches and semi normal residents are Michmoldman,Bydand and maybe one or two more people.We are the majority and thanks for the post.I plan on uploading pictures of the wreckage in the most affluent burbs of this state.It does not include Detroit because it is old music.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenDweller82 View Post
That is the problem.

People believe the government unemployment handouts can just go on forever. It's true that unemployment in Michigan is more money than working hard in other states is -- but there are more and more people with very large holes in their resumes.

What happens when the government must reduce or stop unemployment handouts, and how long can people expect that they can remain sitting around with the UIA checks rolling in?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:43 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preferentialtreatment View Post
Some such over zealous ostriches and semi normal residents are Michmoldman,Bydand and maybe one or two more people.We are the majority and thanks for the post.I plan on uploading pictures of the wreckage in the most affluent burbs of this state.It does not include Detroit because it is old music.
I agree, although money began leaving the most wealthy suburbs like B. Hills and Birmingham years ago many of the power families have relocated with the recent devastation of MI's economy. There are only a small spattering of wealthy communities in the US that this recession didn't touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan