Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
After 9 months and no decent jobs I spoke with my supervisor last night. He informed me I was one of two people who had not been called back. Most likely because on paper ( thanks to him) it reads as if I am only qualified for doing 1 job in the plant. This pissed me off the night I was laid off and I told management that I should have been qualified on 5 other jobs I had learned over the final 4 months of work. I swore I would not go back to that place but know right now if there is a chance I have to fight for it. My supervisor told me he was going to have my union rep call me today so we can proceed with the process.
The whole situation chaps my ass because even though I have lower seniority than a lot of people, I am 3rd in line in experience in the industry on the floor. Only two people out of 110 have more time in a plant like ours. I fought with my supervisor for weeks leading up to the lay off to put me in the books but he kept his head in the sand and said I would not have to worry about the lay off and he wanted me to get a little more time training. Crap!
So now I wait for a call to return to a place that I despise, all for the mighty dollar. I told my wife though that this does not change our plans. The house gets sold, we finish school and move on with our lives. Grrrrrr I'm not looking forward to this. Anyone else ever had to swallow their pride and return to a place that jerked em around so bad you never wanted to go back, but due to circumstances had no choice?
I think the way you have to see it is that middle management types really have very little control over things, they often don't handle layoffs and downsizings very well, and they're also subject to them.

Sometimes middle management doesn't know too much, they aren't told much, just handed the pink slips to pass out. Sometimes layoffs are based on seniority and it doesn't matter if someone with less is better and the supervisors often don't get any real say in the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,474 times
No pride to swallow, no need to fight. I was called back today. Woooohoooooo

Old 09-11-2009, 03:53 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
That IS better of course But still, THEY called you so for the time being, I'd go for it & give it my all.

Quote:
I've tried that route PeterB. But how about this. I go back bust my ass, go to school and then work for myself. I like that picture better.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
That is awesome news!!! When do u start? Or did u go in today?

Quote:
No pride to swallow, no need to fight. I was called back today. Woooohoooooo

Old 09-11-2009, 05:36 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
That is awesome news!!! When do u start? Or did u go in today?
Get this. Went on an interview today, came home and played my answering machine and there was a message saying my recall notice was sent Fed Ex today. Position is on 2nd shift ( kind of sucks) but I'm back and making decent money.
I also received an e-mail this morning about a maintenance position for a church but that one is part time. Too bad because it sounds like something I would have really enjoyed doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan