Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 07:17 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times

Advertisements

The site recently ranked the most liberal cities in the U.S. including the most liberal city in each state. The methodology for determining a town's liberalism was based upon it's individuals' contribution to PAC's, election returns, gay households, local government resolutions opposing the war in Iraq, and Congressional district voting history among other things. Anyways, Ferndale was listed as the most liberal town in Michigan. Both the Ferndale/Royal Oak area and Ann Arbor are the most progressive parts of Michigan.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2020 at 01:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 08:41 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelling_paws
I've heard it this way: If you're conservative when you're younger, you have no soul. If liberal when you're older, you have no sense.

There is some truth to that, I think - mind you I don't know many people who 100% toe a party/ideological line. And I know some pretty darn sensible and successful liberal older folks, and some really dumb, loser conservatives.
That's the trouble with stereotypes. They don't work.

One thing about stereotypes - they are usually created because there is a lot of truth to them. That's how they get started in the first place. Stereotypes are largely true, it's just not politically correct to say that.
Then again, I'm not politically correct!

Old 07-28-2006, 03:31 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan
One thing about stereotypes - they are usually created because there is a lot of truth to them. That's how they get started in the first place. Stereotypes are largely true, it's just not politically correct to say that.
Then again, I'm not politically correct!
Well, what I meant that while there might be a grain of truth to a "stereotype", they are not always based on "truth", but on perception of "truth" - not at all the same thing.

It rarely works optimally to use them to make judgements and decisions about people or situations, and it's lazy thinking to do so.
"Political correctness" (or an avowed refusal to be PC) is also, IMHO, lazy thinking.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:04 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
I would say East Lansing is pretty liberal. Granted it's not your 'we love transgendered, cross-dressing, hermaphrodite, tri-sexual, multi-racial, ex-gangbanger' type of town...But as far as MI is concerned its pretty liberal, people pretty much except all types, live and let be, although if you have kids, that's a different story. A lot of the touristy, coastel and UP areas seem to be pretty liberal-minded.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,075 times
Default Please bring a used bookstore to Royal Oak!!

I live here, and it's wonderful, loaded with cool restaurants, retails stores, and coffee shops. Unfortunately the big guys came in, and so most of the indie coffee, record, and bookstores moved out. I can't tell you if it's economically feasible to set up shop here, but you sure would be welcome!!

Old 08-02-2006, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 23,105 times
I second Saugatuck, Pentwater, or Ludington. But I also agree to stay away from smaller towns if you are looking to open a business. I just closed my business in a small town due to the economy. I would look for more 'tourist' towns for sure.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,906 times
If I had the opportunity to move anywhere in Michigan and open a business it would be Petosksy or Harbor Springs.

Summer homes for the rich (and some famous) and a fabulous tourist town, it draws great summer visitors from the whole state/country.

Also an absolutely beautiful place to live near the water.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 19,898 times
I feel angry at alot I'm reading. Saginaw, Mi is pretty liberal compared to alot of places further north. As a matter of fact, it's probably the most liberal city north of Detroit. As well as that, plenty of people read books up here... That was stereotypical nonsense. Saginaw city is really trying to rebuild its self and ignorant jerks who want to make negative commentary about the beautiful city really ought to go check out where they're from, because if you really want to live in an area with rich snubs who won't contribute their money unless it's Barnes & Noble, have fun. Here in Saginaw, we appreciate more family business then the larger cities and we also are as educated as anyone else.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:11 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph22
I feel angry at alot I'm reading. Saginaw, Mi is pretty liberal compared to alot of places further north. As a matter of fact, it's probably the most liberal city north of Detroit. As well as that, plenty of people read books up here... That was stereotypical nonsense. Saginaw city is really trying to rebuild its self and ignorant jerks who want to make negative commentary about the beautiful city really ought to go check out where they're from, because if you really want to live in an area with rich snubs who won't contribute their money unless it's Barnes & Noble, have fun. Here in Saginaw, we appreciate more family business then the larger cities and we also are as educated as anyone else.

I guess I missed where anybody said anything negative about Saginaw...But regardless, I agree with you 100%, Saginaw is an AWESOME CITY! I love Saginaw, the architecture there is just absolutely beautiful, and the city/area is GREAT!

Old 08-05-2006, 07:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph22

You're probably referring to my first response and you misunderstood me...Flint and Detroit are pretty liberal too but the economy sure isn't in these cities to support a used bookstore ( they have a very high mortality rate, business-wise) and I assumed Saginaw was the same.

You sure inferred a lot from my statement that I neither said or intended! Is everyone in Saginaw as friendly as you? I haven't a clue where you got that I said people in Saginaw were uneducated, didn't like reading books, wasn't liberal and would not support small business - Can you point out specific "stereotypical nonsense" and "negative commentary" about your city anywhere in this thread?
I currently live in the east side of Flint, if we want to talk about a city that has a worldwide reputation as a crime-ridden sewer...

And I don't much care for being called an ignorant jerk, because I am neither. I think you either owe me an apology or a darn good justification for name calling. Ad hominem attacks are not classy and sure don't promote a positive image of Saginaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan