Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 AM

259 posts, read 704,001 times

Advertisements

We are looking into MI right now as a possible place to live. We are looking for 90,000 or less property with 1-5 acres, internet access and basic ammenities. We'd like to live somewhere with low crime, open minded community, lots of outdoor activities and friendly people. We don't mind rural, ideally we'd like to be located near a good small (or medium) town. I've read a lot of good things about the west side of the state, but also have seen some mentions of the thumb. Also have heard great things about the UP but not sure that would be the best option. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the two areas and the differences between them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Western MI is more beautiful...probably a bit more expensive too.

The Thumb is safe, low crime, friendly, outdoor activity - basically hunting, boating, sports stuff...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
The thumb is one of the most underrated parts of Michigan, IMO.

Lots of well-kept small towns and countryside. The Lake Huron coast is really nice, much less crowded than the west coast of Michigan. I definitely wouldn't mind living over there. Overall, it has a "quieter" feel to it than the west side of the state.

Of course, West Michigan is great. You will find plenty of people on here that can trumpet the benefits of the area, so I'll let them do that.

BOTH areas are conservative in the rural parts. I wouldn't necessarily call either "open-minded", but everyone mostly has a live and let-live attitude. There are some very conservative areas in West Michigan though (Hudsonville, Zeeland, Jenison, etc). I think they are generally great people, but they can seem closed-minded to some.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM

263 posts, read 745,192 times
how "open-minded" are you thinking? the thumb is full of very small towns where everyone knows everyone, and their business....

Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 AM

259 posts, read 704,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The thumb is one of the most underrated parts of Michigan, IMO.

Lots of well-kept small towns and countryside. The Lake Huron coast is really nice, much less crowded than the west coast of Michigan. I definitely wouldn't mind living over there. Overall, it has a "quieter" feel to it than the west side of the state.

Of course, West Michigan is great. You will find plenty of people on here that can trumpet the benefits of the area, so I'll let them do that.

BOTH areas are conservative in the rural parts. I wouldn't necessarily call either "open-minded", but everyone mostly has a live and let-live attitude. There are some very conservative areas in West Michigan though (Hudsonville, Zeeland, Jenison, etc). I think they are generally great people, but they can seem closed-minded to some.
Yeah, that's what I would assume - the more rural the more conservative. We are fine with that. We just would like to live with people who have the 'live and let live' mentality. I'm interested to know more of the areas to 'avoid' so to speak like the ones you mentioned (on the thumb and west MI).

How about the job opportunities in both areas? Obviously Grand Rapids seems like it would beat out the thumb with that, but as far as the rural towns, do they seem about the same? This is not crucial to us at this point but I may be interested in a part time job somewhere.

Is the Bay City / Saginaw a good area, or does one need to go further into the thumb? I'm completely unfamiliar with this area, so any thoughts are much appreciated

Old 09-24-2009, 07:50 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
For jobs in the Thumb, if you are looking for Grand Rapids type jobs, then people gravitate towards the northern suburbs of Detroit and make the commute.

But most people in the Thumb, are most likely farmers, small business owners, etc. But not everyone.

For places to avoid, speaking of the Thumb, there ISN'T a place to avoid. The entire region is quite homogeneous and just filled with small towns, not much different from the next. A lot of towns gather around High School sports, and you'll find people driving from one town to the next to support their local town team, etc.

Regarding Western Michigan, I am unsure and that encompasses a much larger area. Generally speaking, I've always felt that the more northern you go on the Western Michigan side, the better it is...on that side, but I'm unsure.

Regarding Bay City/Saginaw. I don't readily think of those towns as part of the The Thumb. BUT, AVOID SAGINAW. Bay City is fine. I'd also avoid FLINT (which isn't the Thumb either). Generally, when people think of the Thumb, they think of the coastline and all the many rural towns in the middle of it. The cities of Flint and Saginaw, while I couldn't tell you what they might be geographically, I've never thought of them as part of the The Thumb. Probably the largest city someone might think of as being in the Thumb, would probably be Port Huron. I usually kind of think of the Thumb starting the moment you drive north of Port Huron though, and probably also the moment you drive a bit east of cities like Flint & Saginaw.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I usually kind of think of the Thumb starting the moment you drive north of Port Huron though, and probably also the moment you drive a bit east of cities like Flint & Saginaw.
They say Marlette is the heart of the Thumb, so that puts alot of things in perspective.....

Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
The thumb is one of the most underrated parts of Michigan, IMO..
Yeah, everyone bypasses the Thumb on their way to northern Michigan. The general area tends to get overlooked as any type of vacation destination.

Quote:
Lots of well-kept small towns and countryside. The Lake Huron coast is really nice, much less crowded than the west coast of Michigan. I definitely wouldn't mind living over there. Overall, it has a "quieter" feel to it than the west side of the state. ..

I completely agree.There are plenty of nice towns that i wouldn't mind living in either, especially Port Austin.

Quote:
Of course, West Michigan is great. You will find plenty of people on here that can trumpet the benefits of the area, so I'll let them do that...
West Michigan is +$$, the Thumb is -$.

Quote:
Yeah, the people here (the Thumb) are a bit on the conservative and clannish side. You'll find out it's the people who's been here for generations aren't as forthcoming nor friendly as people who've recently settled into the area, but will help anyone out in any time of need. I know, confusing...

Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 AM

266 posts, read 853,202 times
I just moved out of North Branch (Lapeer County) and you should avoid it if you like internet access. We had dial-up for 3 yrs and FINALLY Verizon opened up wireless broadband access last year, however with a $60+/month fees and 5GB file transfer limits. And, it was still pretty slow. Also Verizon is the only company that gets any kind of signal out there, but it's still not a very strong signal. No cable access either because the houses are so far apart; it's satellite or nothing. On the plus side, houses are very inexpensive.

The area at the tip of the thumb, i.e. Caseville, is very pretty and touristy, I like it up there a lot but I don't know what the job situation would be like. Doesn't seem as if there is a whole lot of industry up there.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Tiger Beer and Blue Grass Fever nailed it. I like the thumb a lot, and the people I know over there are very genuine and down to Earth. Not very "open" but not rude about it either. Kind of a bizarre mix really, but one that actually works. The thumb is kind of a cool area because you can watch the sunrise over Lake Huron, then do whatever it is you need to do during the day, and still watch a nice sunset over the Bay. Best of both worlds really. Jobs wise, it may be a bit tougher than the West side to find something. It is a bit flatter and less wooded than the West side, but it all depends on what it is exactly you want and are looking for. Some really relish traditional farm country, while others want smaller farms, orchards and woods. Both areas would be a good choice I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan