Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM

10 posts, read 26,722 times

Advertisements

I am buying a home in Stephenson, Michigan..Off the internet..my friend has seen it and it is very nice. What is the town of Stephenson like? Anything to do there? Any eating places or bars?????Thanks...overmane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 AM

222 posts, read 809,093 times
Default Start With City-Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmane View Post
I am buying a home in Stephenson, Michigan..Off the internet..my friend has seen it and it is very nice. What is the town of Stephenson like? Anything to do there? Any eating places or bars?????Thanks...overmane
Don't live there, but . . .

This might be a better question for the Wisconsin forum because Stephenson appears to be just over the board into the UP of Michigan. Closest big city is Green Bay. I would suggest checking the site associated with this forum, City-Data.com for information, if you haven't done so already. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

With a population of only 800 you can't expect there to be a lot going on. I did a Google map search and then searched for "food" and a few restaurants and a bar come up as being in or near Stephenson. My guess is that you are looking at limited options (one bank, one grocery store, one pharmacy) in a town this small. Not saying that is bad, but you may want to actually VISIT a city before you buy a house in it. But that's just me, I'm a little nuts that way when I spend a lot of money. You should also probably stock up on shovels and snow boots as it looks like it gets a lot of white stuff during the winter. Again, if you like that, it might be perfect for you.

Please note as well (from City-Data.com) that the population in Stephenson has dropped more than 8% in the past decade. If that trend continues (like it has in a lot of small Michigan towns) you will have trouble finding a buyer for you house, if you want to sell it some day.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:22 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,583,515 times
I have not lived in Stephenson but have been through there a few times and know some people in the area. It's pretty small and as michiganbob stated - not much going on there. If the country life appeals to you and you don't mind driving a half hour or better to get to shopping and things of that nature (further for nightlife), this could be a great spot for you. The people I know around there kind of enjoy the outdoorsy aspect of it but those who are not yet retired do not intend to stay there forever. It has a somewhat depressed appearance. Definitely visit there before you commit to buying anything.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:30 PM

119 posts, read 283,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmane View Post
Question 1: Very small and a long way from everything.
Question 2: No.
Question 3: Not really.
For your own good PLEASE visit BEFORE you put any money down. If it seems cheap then there is a very good reason. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan