Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM

265 posts, read 801,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
We knew some people that actually moved to Howell because they were trying to get away from the diversity in other areas.
Very understandable to me. I don't care for all this diversity either and that's why I enjoy living in northern Michigan. Before you start shouting "Racist!", I am not. I just prefer living in an area without many different races, cultures and religions.

I used to live in northern Europe which is flooding with immigrants from North Africa, Middle East and Eastern Europe. I think it is causing many more problems than there are benefits for the native (white) residents. I also used to live in SoCal and didn't like being a minority there.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 AM

19 posts, read 90,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Thanks bydand. I thought I was going to have to draw a picture.

This whole thread is rather pointless (no specific instances), just someone venting.
You want specific instances, I will give them to you. This very same Hispanic boy was asked during HOWELL junior football practice by his coach "if he had eaten too many taco's, cuz he wasn't running very fast"

Same coached asked him "if he spoka english" in reference to following his (the coaches) rules

I heard these comments with my own little ears.

Last game of the season, after the coach never let the little guy touch the field, this coach told the little boy and I quote "Mexicans belong on the field, but not the football field"

You want more.... when the mother discussed this with this junior football coach, he called her a spick.

Sad part of all of this.... this coach is still coaching, the woman, her son and another involved are suing the guy along with the league in federal court

Another fine example of Howell Michigan's discrimination . Like I said before, Michigan has wonderful cities that are welcoming to color, Howell isn't one of them.

Not only did this kid have to deal with racism at the school level, he dealt with it at the recreational sport level. I think that is a little more than venting I think it is some great FYI if you are interested in moving to Howell, Michigan. This is a forum about Michigan is it not?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
Very understandable to me. I don't care for all this diversity either and that's why I enjoy living in northern Michigan. Before you start shouting "Racist!", I am not. I just prefer living in an area without many different races, cultures and religions.

I used to live in northern Europe which is flooding with immigrants from North Africa, Middle East and Eastern Europe. I think it is causing many more problems than there are benefits for the native (white) residents. I also used to live in SoCal and didn't like being a minority there.
Well... there you go magellan, already someone that the information was quite useful too.
Wulf67, you would really like Howell, it really is your kind of town, maybe you and the coach can hang together

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM

265 posts, read 801,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgylie View Post
Well... there you go magellan, already someone that the information was quite useful too.
Wulf67, you would really like Howell, it really is your kind of town, maybe you and the coach can hang together
You misunderstood my post and jumped to conclusions. I have nothing against different races and cultures. I just prefer to live in an area without racial diversity. Is that so bad?

Dearborn has a huge middle-eastern community, there are many cities with Chinatowns, and LA has many latino communities for example. Just if you're white, people automatically assume your're a racist and KKK member when you say you enjoy living in a white community.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
You want specific instances, I will give them to you. This very same Hispanic boy was asked during HOWELL junior football practice by his coach "if he had eaten too many taco's, cuz he wasn't running very fast"

Same coached asked him "if he spoka english" in reference to following his (the coaches) rules

I heard these comments with my own little ears.

Last game of the season, after the coach never let the little guy touch the field, this coach told the little boy and I quote "Mexicans belong on the field, but not the football field"

You want more.... when the mother discussed this with this junior football coach, he called her a spick.

Sad part of all of this.... this coach is still coaching, the woman, her son and another involved are suing the guy along with the league in federal court

Another fine example of Howell Michigan's discrimination . Like I said before, Michigan has wonderful cities that are welcoming to color, Howell isn't one of them.

Not only did this kid have to deal with racism at the school level, he dealt with it at the recreational sport level. I think that is a little more than venting I think it is some great FYI if you are interested in moving to Howell, Michigan. This is a forum about Michigan is it not?

Perhaps you should have given specific instances in the first place, instead of getting all worked up after you were prodded to provide them. Don't assume people will take your complaints just at face value on an anonymous discussion board.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 AM

I am not anonymous, my name is Karen Gylie and I live in Howell Michigan. I hardly ever get worked up and this discussion with you sure didn't do it. Maybe you are just a little fragile.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
I am not anonymous, my name is Karen Gylie and I live in Howell Michigan. I hardly ever get worked up and this discussion with you sure didn't do it. Maybe you are just a little fragile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
i cannot believe the negative things you say to people being a 'moderator'. why would a 'moderator' make such a provoking contempt filled statement? i do not know how you got this sort of 'job' but i think it may be getting to your head. i suppose anyone could get sucked into the power trip thing, but its very unpleasant whenever it does happen. please get over yourself.
After reading thousands of Magellan's posts over the last couple years I can tell you he is not "fragile" or on a power trip. Seems you two are a bit on the defensive side. Wulf67 is simply stating that they prefer to live in a place that doesn't have the chance of that stupidity rearing it's ugly head, nothing wrong with that either.

I see Magellan making a comment, that in essence, is calling the racist people small minded and taken by things that either don't or shouldn't exist. Bigfoot and racism. One doesn't exist and the other shouldn't. To believe racism is right, you probably are of the mindset that Bigfoot happens to roam around as well (and probably hate him also because he is different that they are). Touchy subject and one I see some are not willing to open their interpretation/minds far enough to see when other posters are agreeing with them, just not coming right out and saying it in language a 1st grader would understand.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
i cannot believe the negative things you say to people being a 'moderator'. why would a 'moderator' make such a provoking contempt filled statement? i do not know how you got this sort of 'job' but i think it may be getting to your head. i suppose anyone could get sucked into the power trip thing, but its very unpleasant whenever it does happen. please get over yourself.
I've already banned a couple of people in the last few days. Would you like to be the next? I don't have time to come on here and babysit people's emotions and chips on their shoulders.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
I'm sad to hear of this person's experience. The imperial grand wizard of some such group lived in Howell as recently as a few years ago (last time I kept up with this information). Whether Howell residents by and large support such hate is immaterial. Once word of that association got out, I believe the town has a very negative stigma attached to it. Same thing is happening in Idaho, with a group trying to change the town's image. In both cases, I'd like to think that most people that live there don't support racism. They just had the misfortune of having a well known racist reside in the same town.
He didn't live in Howell; he was in Cohoctah, which to be fair is just a few minutes away. Also to be fair, he lived there something like 25 years ago and when he croaked, the Klan presence in Livingston County went with his sorry butt. I don't know that anyone in the Chamber of Commerce has any power to intervene in a bunch of ill-mannered kids at Howell Schools. The mom should have taken it up with the superintendent, the principal and the newspapers. (Not the Livingston Press and Argus -- they're a joke -- go to the News and Free Press!) I agree the schools should get off their hind ends and start demanding some decent behavior out of the kids -- there is no reason for that kind of BS and never was. The public schools' total inability to model or demand good behavior is a major reason the home-schooling movement is growing by leaps and bounds. This doesn't just happen on the basis of race; God help you if it gets out that a fenale student is pressing rape charges against a male one. All the other students and teachers will turn on her, and this includes serious physical beatings, verbal and phone harassment, threatneing letters, you name it. The schools turn a blind eye.

Right next door, in Brighton, there is not only a growing minority presence but also a black minister with an all-white congregation.

Last edited by Cliffie; 10-06-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You obviously bolded all your text for a reason. Thanks for sharing your name. Moving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan