Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,343 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I found the other posts on Houghton useful, and would like to know more if possible.

There's a job posting at MTU for a 9-month temporary engineering and science reference associate at their Van Pelt and Opie Library. I have educational backgrounds in both engineering and library science, so think it could be a great fit. Especially since my husband wants space from me and to keep our 3 kids with him in central IL, where we've been for the past 7 years.

Some Q's:
1) At the intended rate of pay ($15.50/hr., no benefits), would I be able to make it there? I read that cost of living in Houghton is 93% of the national rate, with utilities higher than other places.

2) Any idea how close-knit the library staff is - i.e. after 9 mos., do you think it likely that I'd be able to get on permanently with benefits?

3) I'm Chinese-American, and one post said if I wasn't Finnish-named, I could find trouble. Think there'd be any problem for me? I grew up in Chicago so know what it's like to be a minority (vs. California, where they're majority!), and lived in IN near the starting place of the KKK for 5+ years so know what it's like to be surrounded by whites and don't mind it, have been only discriminated against because of race once there, and nowhere else (except in jr. high, and that doesn't count in real life, right?)

4) I'm used to gray falls and winters from IL, but would the snow I'm hearing about in Houghton require getting a more sturdy car? I drive an American economy car, not exactly a Jeep.

Thanks! Any other input welcome, esp. about the library and university staff environment/culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 PM

864 posts, read 1,722,256 times
As long as you don't have a rear wheel drive car, you'll be fine. There's a LOT more snow than Chicago though but the snow plow crews do a very good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianlibrarian View Post
4) I'm used to gray falls and winters from IL, but would the snow I'm hearing about in Houghton require getting a more sturdy car? I drive an American economy car, not exactly a Jeep.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM

189 posts, read 522,745 times
Quote:
Some Q's:
1) At the intended rate of pay ($15.50/hr., no benefits), would I be able to make it there? I read that cost of living in Houghton is 93% of the national rate, with utilities higher than other places.
Student-housing at Tech is abundant and near campus, and extremely affordable (ten years ago I paid around $200/month). However, being an adult, and probably not wanting a few roommates, you're going to be looking at around $500/month for your own place. You'll find plenty near campus however if you look around. I wouldn't expect anything luxurious, most of the places there are extremely old and haphazard. The charm will grow on you, but it'll likely be a culture-shock when you first get there. Also, check out the Daniel Heights university apartments (south of Wadsworth Hall). Not sure on the prices, but they may be a bit more affordable/economical being smaller, as well as having a bit more structured management (most places up there are owned by people who don't even live in town and are rented to different students every year, regardless of how well they're kept up). At $15/hour, you'll have to be putting in some decent hours to clear your nut every month if you're going to be going out and doing other stuff as well (plenty of bars around!).

Quote:
2) Any idea how close-knit the library staff is - i.e. after 9 mos., do you think it likely that I'd be able to get on permanently with benefits?
No idea here. I went there for five years and could count the number of times I went to the library on one hand. It's not a very big library from what I remember, so the number of staff positions could be limited. But, if you keep your eyes open you may find some other permanent positions.

Quote:
3) I'm Chinese-American, and one post said if I wasn't Finnish-named, I could find trouble. Think there'd be any problem for me? I grew up in Chicago so know what it's like to be a minority (vs. California, where they're majority!), and lived in IN near the starting place of the KKK for 5+ years so know what it's like to be surrounded by whites and don't mind it, have been only discriminated against because of race once there, and nowhere else (except in jr. high, and that doesn't count in real life, right?)
You should have no problem with this at all. Yes, there are plenty of good ol' yooper boys around in their trucks drinking PBRs, but for the most par they're harmless. There's also lots of international students there, as well as a very large proportion of regular suburban kids who will be just as culture-shocked as you. Your contact with the "locals" will probably be pretty limited, as there's a divide between the campus side of town and the local side of town. Even if you were to live downtown (or in Hancock), you'll still find 99% of them to be charming and pleasant, with very few crotchety types who are looking to ruin somebody's day.

Quote:
From November to April your car will probably be usable about half the time. Depending on where you live though, this isn't really a problem. With a decent pair of boots, a good coat, and the typical winter-outfit, you'll find that 90+% of the things you need to get to are easily within walking distance of where you live. The University has snow removal and sidewalk clearing down to a near art form, and although the piles get very high you'll rarely find yourself snowed in. School is almost never cancelled, and business goes on as usual pretty much all year round despite the weather. Also, once you get to know some people around there's almost always a designated "snow driver" among the group who does own a 4x4, and for a little gas money they'll usually be happy to give you a lift wherever you're going.

Best of luck... it's usually a pretty quick decision for people. You'll either fall in love right off the bat and never want to leave, or you'll put up with it for as long as you have to and then leave town as quick as you can. Either way it's a great school.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,805,956 times
Quote:
Hi there,

I found the other posts on Houghton useful, and would like to know more if possible.

There's a job posting at MTU for a 9-month temporary engineering and science reference associate at their Van Pelt and Opie Library. I have educational backgrounds in both engineering and library science, so think it could be a great fit. Especially since my husband wants space from me and to keep our 3 kids with him in central IL, where we've been for the past 7 years.

Some Q's:

Thanks! Any other input welcome, esp. about the library and university staff environment/culture.
Normally, I'd say iffy, but even if it dosesn't work out after 9 months,you'll have spent sometime in a part of the US that's not just like every other place in
the US, and that is RARE and increasingly rare.

Tech is a good engineering school, seen one seen em' all.
They've seen asians before, not a hot bed of prejudice in any event.
Any front-wheel drive will do, they have snowplows.

Won't starve on 15.50, no insurance is no insurance wherever you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan