Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 02:17 PM

86 posts, read 456,686 times

Advertisements

Last night I saw a TV commercial advertising Campbell County, WY. It was so strange to me that I would see that here in Michigan, but I guess they know we are desperate for jobs, and they are desperate for people!

What do you think of that? Other states actively advertising here for recruiting purposes (I saw it at like 10:30 p.m., so that's prime time, I think)? Nothing against Wyoming, it looks like a perfectly nice place to me (though that could have been the commercial), I was just a bit surprised by it. I have seen classifieds as well, but that's totally different, in my opinion.

Found the web site for it too: http://www.ccedc.net/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypurdue View Post
Last night I saw a TV commercial advertising Campbell County, WY. It was so strange to me that I would see that here in Michigan, but I guess they know we are desperate for jobs, and they are desperate for people!

What do you think of that? Other states actively advertising here for recruiting purposes (I saw it at like 10:30 p.m., so that's prime time, I think)? Nothing against Wyoming, it looks like a perfectly nice place to me (though that could have been the commercial), I was just a bit surprised by it. I have seen classifieds as well, but that's totally different, in my opinion.

I saw an ad, in the newspaper classifieds, from Nevada for teacher jobs.

The rest of the country is cherry picking talent from MI because they realize the state's economy is dead and we have absolute morons running the state and things are only going to get worse.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Post They advertised Campbell County! HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypurdue View Post

The commercial you saw was related to the "energy boom" economy that eastern sections of Wyoming are having. They go through these boom and bust cycles depending on the price for the natural resource, whether it be oil, gas, or coal. Also, Campbell County is located in the middle of the semi-arid plains. It is a dry windy place most of the time. Also I understand their is a shortage of housing and affordable housing within the county because of the booming economy. Its not really a place that many people would want to live in climate wise at all.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:54 PM

136 posts, read 620,891 times
Default Wyoming needs workers

Campbell County is experiencing the biggest boom in years due to methane extraction in the Powder River Basin area around Gillette. They are seeking Michigan workers because of the industrial prowess of so many here displaced by the auto industry, and the fact that people in Michigan can stand the cold. I've lived in Wyoming, and disagree with another poster here concerning the quality of the place. It has much to offer, but housing in Campbell County is not one of them. They are putting up new structures as fast as they can, but there is so much more demand than supply that it's almost impossible to find places there. I've talked to people who came there to work, cast around for two or three months and left, tired of living in tents. Even hook-ups for R.V.'s are lacking. And it's not feasible to commute far. The closest towns of any size are easily 1 1/2 hours away, and they too are experiencing a housing crunch. Casper and Sheridan both have jobs but you will be hard pressed to find affordable housing in either one. And the winters in Wyoming are discouraging to commuters. They have killing blizzards there. Roads close with regularity, even into April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan