Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 9,646 times

Advertisements

Hello experts.
I have a heat-n-glo gas fireplace.
The fireplace has a problem. I can start the pilot, and the fireplace will light.
As soon as the blower is ready to turn on, the entire system including pilot will shut off.
Any ideas what would be causing this problem?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danloch View Post
Hello experts.
The fireplace has a problem. I can start the pilot, and the fireplace will light.
As soon as the blower is ready to turn on, the entire system including pilot will shut off.
Thanks in advance.
What do you mean, the "blower is ready to turn on"? You can't turn the blower on any time?

Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 AM

902 posts, read 1,925,845 times
Your best bet would to look over your manual , or go to the distributor and ask , troubleshoot at the manufacturers site , etc .

Fireplace, Fireplaces by Heat & Glo: Gas Fireplaces, Wood Fireplaces, Electric Fireplaces

Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danloch View Post
Hello experts.
Thanks in advance.
It's probably a little ceramic sensor. It's a safety device that is supposed to detect the flame, because you wouldn't want the gas to keep coming if there is no flame but if the sensor goes bad then it shuts off the gas because it doesn't sense the flame. It costs about $5 to replace on your own.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 9,646 times
I am assuming that when control tells the blower to turn on, that is when the system shuts down. The assumption is based on knowing that once the fire starts, within 10 seconds, the blower USED to turn on. I opened the blower, all is clean and freewheeling.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM

149 posts, read 548,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's probably a little ceramic sensor. It's a safety device that is supposed to detect the flame, because you wouldn't want the gas to keep coming if there is no flame but if the sensor goes bad then it shuts off the gas because it doesn't sense the flame. It costs about $5 to replace on your own.
Malamute is on the right track. There are actually 2 of those sensors - one for the pilot light and one for the main burner. The main one allows the burner to start up and get hot before starting the fan - this in an effort to not blow cold air around. There may also be some sort of timer going that shuts the whole mess down if it doesn't get hot within a certain limit.

Find a schematic of the setup or call a service tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan