Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM

768 posts, read 942,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well,that 's the point. A lot of people are in the blue collar mindset of getting a job, settling down, and popping out a bunch of kids. They don't think to explore.

To your other point, what do you hate so much about Michigan? It's easily one of the most beautiful states in the country and the Great Lakes are one of the most unique natural features in the world.
I hate that most of its' natural beauty is inaccessible half the year. We can try to couch the aesthetic beauty of the snow and so on, and it is pretty. But alas it makes day-to-day living a real pain in the ass. Spending 15 minutes scraping your windows just to get some milk in the morning. Your face literally hurting from wind chill after being outside for a few minutes. Roads being crazy to drive on with ice. The lakes inaccessible.

Hence, a great place to vacation, tough place to live. IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
I hate that most of its' natural beauty is inaccessible half the year. We can try to couch the aesthetic beauty of the snow and so on, and it is pretty. But alas it makes day-to-day living a real pain in the ass. Spending 15 minutes scraping your windows just to get some milk in the morning. Your face literally hurting from wind chill after being outside for a few minutes. Roads being crazy to drive on with ice. The lakes inaccessible.

Hence, a great place to vacation, tough place to live. IMO.
Well, living far enough from a place to buy milk was a decision you made. If you chose to live in a walkable neighborhood, you'd simply wander through the winter wonderland on your way to get groceries. Perhaps you'd ski or snowshoe for some exercise.

It seems anytime people complain about a place, no matter where, you can trace their misery back to their voluntary dependence on a car.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 AM

768 posts, read 942,206 times
Quote:
Well, living far enough from a place to buy milk was a decision you made. If you chose to live in a walkable neighborhood, you'd simply wander through the winter wonderland on your way to get groceries. Perhaps you'd ski or snowshoe for some exercise.

It seems anytime people complain about a place, no matter where, you can trace their misery back to their voluntary dependence on a car.
If walking through a winter wonderland=-/+shivering through incredible wind chill to the point where you face hurts, then I guess. I'd rather drive.
Moreover, most people can't live within a walkable distance to most of their activities for economic reasons. Admittedly in my case it's a voluntary thing, but for most it's not.

I don't think it has much to do with cars.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
I have a question about this. I worked for a company that had the main office in Michigan most of our paperwork had a Utah address. I have heard the Utah has good tax laws for businesses but is this even legal? As far as I know, we had no office in Utah but had an address there. I never did find out what that was all about.
Yes it is legal and it happens all the time. Take a look at a credit card statement. Ever notice how every credit card company has a Delaware address? They incorporate there because of the corporate laws of that state. It is simply a place where law suits concerning their corporate affairs would be carried out.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:43 PM

199 posts, read 543,017 times
Quote:
Well,that 's the point. A lot of people are in the blue collar mindset of getting a job, settling down, and popping out a bunch of kids. They don't think to explore.
Yeah my cousin had it all planned out. He was going to work at GM like his dad. Luckily, I slapped him around 8 years ago and told him to wake up and face reality. Industrial jobs that allow people to work from graduation to retirement are going to disappear. Unfortunately, many people still don't get this.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:55 PM

211 posts, read 548,384 times
Quote:

To your other point, what do you hate so much about Michigan? It's easily one of the most beautiful states in the country and the Great Lakes are one of the most unique natural features in the world.

Hey, hey, hey-watch it now I got married at 18, been married 16+ years and we "popped out" 5 kids. But we are adventurous and travel a lot, so we see the diversity that's out there vs. what we have here. I guess what I hate most about Michigan is that every time I see another state I DREAD coming back here! It shouldn't be that way. Yes, the lakes are beautiful (we are on Burt Lake) but it's only water. I love the culture, the hustle & bustle (AND CENTRAL PARK) in NYC, the bright lights and architecture in Cincinnatti, the weather and gentility down in the Carolinas, the mountains in Tennessee, the landscape in Arizona, the farms in Illinois, the homes and rolling hills in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, the breezes off the Gulf in Florida.....there is just too much calling me away. Sorry, Michigan.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the country. We have it all: beaches, mountains, snow, fall color, countryside, exciting big cities, beautiful warm summers, and friendly people. Winters are one of our best and most unique features - we are the snowiest non-mountainous state in the country (yes, even more snow than Alaska), and that offers many opportunities like skiing, hockey, ice fishing, and snowboarding. I can't figure out why people are so down on the great Wolverine State. This is a great place to live and start a career or a family. Sure the economy's a little down, so what, it will come back. Michigan will rise again!

I know I might sound like a hypocrite for wanting to move to Alaska, but that's mainly because of a job I'm interested in (Air Traffic Control) as well as a lifelong dream of moving to Alaska. Michigan is, and always will be, my home.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
I think the tolerance for winter depends on whether one likes skiing, hockey, ice fishing and so on. I personally don't so that's part of why I dislike our winters. My eyes hurt being outside last winter and also the previous winter. There is only so much a person can bundle up, and I have an arctic parka that people wear up at the Poles. It keeps most of me warm, but it's so heavy that it makes moving difficult. If I don't wear the parka then it's multiple sweaters and coats, and it's just very hard for a person who enjoys walking and jogging to be so restricted for months at a time.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:46 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the country. We have it all: beaches, mountains, snow, fall color, countryside, exciting big cities, beautiful warm summers, and friendly people. Winters are one of our best and most unique features - we are the snowiest non-mountainous state in the country (yes, even more snow than Alaska), and that offers many opportunities like skiing, hockey, ice fishing, and snowboarding. I can't figure out why people are so down on the great Wolverine State. This is a great place to live and start a career or a family. Sure the economy's a little down, so what, it will come back. Michigan will rise again!
I know I might sound like a hypocrite for wanting to move to Alaska, but that's mainly because of a job I'm interested in (Air Traffic Control) as well as a lifelong dream of moving to Alaska. Michigan is, and always will be, my home.
I have never been to Michigan, but I have seen pictures of Michigan. I would say that is true about Michigan and its beauty. I watched a television show on The History Channel called The States. One of the episodes featured Michigan. James Earl Jones(voice of Mufasa from The Lion King) said that when he was growing up in Manistee County, he never saw eagles. When he drove there a short time ago, he saw an eagle grabbing a fish out of the water.
One thing I can't get over is all of that water.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:01 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
If walking through a winter wonderland=-/+shivering through incredible wind chill to the point where you face hurts, then I guess. I'd rather drive.
Moreover, most people can't live within a walkable distance to most of their activities for economic reasons. Admittedly in my case it's a voluntary thing, but for most it's not.

I don't think it has much to do with cars.
Well if ya hate it ya hate it. But I would suggest spending a few bucks and getting a remote starter on your car. When you turn it off get in the habit of turning on the defrost and it will be nice and toasty when you get in it.

My wife is still on an Arizona kick and even though at times I think it would be nice for change I know she does not make any attempt to enjoy winter or make it better at all. She walks out of the house with a thin jacket on and then complains she is cold or freezing. Uh yeah no ***** you might as well be outside in a t-shirt. Winter does suck to drive in no doubt about it. But there really are so many things to do that makes it more fun and less rotten. You just need to try a few things and see if you like em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan