Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:58 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times

Advertisements

I was grocery shopping today here in southern Ohio - at a Meijers naturally! And was looking at sugar. I wasn't just looking at price but trying to figure out what the sugar was made from (cane or beets, turns out they don't say) and noticed one of the bags was made and distributed from Michigan (Peninsular with a little picture of Michigan, never seen it before). So, I don't think it was the absolute cheapest but of course I bought it anyway.
One of the other types was made in Ohio (Pioneer). Ohio actually seems to have a LOT of food production.
How bout Michigan? Any other products I should look for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 02:05 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,143 times
I'm pretty sure it's sugar beets here .

A partial list :

www.buymichigannow.com
www.madeinmichiganmovement.com
www.inspiremichigan.com
www.buymichiganproducts.com
www.absolutemichigan.com

Old 11-13-2009, 03:51 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times
Just from a couple of places I have worked at in Grand Rapids I know that many Nutrition Bars are made there (over 300 different labels) and some of the bigger names are Kashi, MetrX, and EAS.

A lot of the pre-packaged baked goods at Wal-Mart are made at Roskam bakery and/or have labels that are Michigan-made.

There's a Welches grape juice factory here as well.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:18 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
I am about to open my beef jerky business here in Michigan. Its the best!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:15 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,318 times
I always buy Koegels hot dogs. They are pretty tasty.

Pioneer Sugar uses beats. I had too smell it while I used to live in Croswell, Michigan. Their factory Stunk the whole town up.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 13,761 times
Best place to go(however not the best time of year for this), your local farmers market. For anyone who hasnt been, I think you would be surprised at the selection of products offered. All right out of your community, and the money goes right to the person who grew/made it. Other than that, I would try smaller markets/local grocery stores over the big box type chain store to find Michigan made products.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
So I googled Pioneer Sugar and its a Michigan company! I didnt know
I thought it was an Ohio company because when I drive north on 75 I see that one big Pioneer place. I was looking at sugar labels because I noticed when I was making a simple syrup for hummingbirds there was this little bit of yellow color before I stirred it, maybe thats because its made with beets. Tastes the same to me. After processing sugar is sugar. So I will continue to buy Pioneer or this Peninsular.
I have only gotten to check two of the links provided but didn't find too much.
Good Keogels tip, I didn't know it started in Flint and is a Michigan company (my mother is a Usingers fan which is Milwaukee)
Kowalski's is Michigan too but I'm not sure you can find it out of state?
Also add in Kelloggs cereal although I think all or most of the actual plants are elsewhere. Kelloggs is always trying to leave Battle Creek.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:01 AM

313 posts, read 1,195,225 times
I was going to mention Kowalski. They have the best stadium sausages. There is also Deaborn Sausage-- that does wonderful hams. Vernors ginger ale was originally a Michigan product. Saunders hot fudge was a Detroit thing. (They used to have stores that you can go in and get sandwiches and sundaes and such.) And I think that Stroh's ice cream was also a made in Detroit item.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 AM

Plans are in the works to open a handful of Sanders stores in the metro Detroit area . Hudsonville ice cream is relatively new , but Michigan made and available in most stores . Give it a try , you won't be sorry :>)

Old 11-15-2009, 08:35 AM

DETROIT EGG CREAM
1 tall glass
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1/3 glass ice cold white milk
Vernors

Pour in chocolate syrup (preferably Hershey's), add milk and stir.
Add Vernors...slowly. It'll start foaming, but that's half the fun.
Let it calm down a little, and add more Vernors.
Mix slowly and it's ready to drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan