Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 PM

199 posts, read 543,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Some small town people have small town mentalities and are not that welcoming to people from downstate coming up there and taking jobs. But I'm sure they are few and far between these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2SvL...ayer_embedded#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 08:13 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
Quote:
We had a 2nd home just outside of Gaylord for 15 years. Nobody around for miles 99% of the time. There were always signs of ORV riders and snowmobile riders and our place was never touched. There are 800 homes in Michaywe alone. With 32 burglaries in 2007 I'd say the chances are slim to none of your home getting broken into. Unless someone on this forum somehow figures out what home is yours. Then I'd guess the chances for it being vandalized would increase slightly.

I can't help but wonder if you understand how they calculate the crime rate? When you have less than 4000 residents in an area the slightest bit of reported crime is calculated per 100,000 then added up to show the crime index. These numbers can be very misleading. Even more so for a smaller community. You make BIG bucks so you need to be somewhat intelligent so you have be able to understand this.
I can't help but wonder why you can't wrap your head around the fact I have been dealing with total numbers and not averages. Gaylord 1 murder, Harper Woods 1. Gaylord 6 rapes, Harper Woods 9. Gaylord 45 registered sex offenders, Harper Woods 11. These are raw numbers, not averages. Harper Woods has a lot of robberies, thefts and auto thefts. It happens because its on 8 Mile and Eastland Mall. I'd feel much safer at Gaylord Walmart than Eastland. The crime isn't an issue for me. People went off in this thread about it. What's funny is Grayling has a much lower crime rate and that place is a complete ****hole. Gaylord is actually my 2nd favorite northern Michigan community.

Quote:
In regards to your neighbor maybe your just unlucky and the guy is an a-hole. Or maybe the guy knows your from downstate and figures your presence is taking up a job for someone else who is LOCAL. Some small town people have small town mentalities and are not that welcoming to people from downstate coming up there and taking jobs. But I'm sure they are few and far between these days.
Two unfriendly neighbors? Even my fiance hates Gaylord. She hates it worse than me. We plan on getting married this spring and possibly having kids and I got to say, I'm not raising them in Gaylord. I lived in Roscommon for a few years and went to Roscommon High so I'm really not an outsider. I was born in Detroit and my parents moved to Roscommon (They hate it but can't sell their house.) went to RHS and left as soon as I could.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I can't help but wonder why you can't wrap your head around the fact I have been dealing with total numbers and not averages. Gaylord 1 murder, Harper Woods 1. Gaylord 6 rapes, Harper Woods 9. Gaylord 45 registered sex offenders, Harper Woods 11. These are raw numbers, not averages. Harper Woods has a lot of robberies, thefts and auto thefts. It happens because its on 8 Mile and Eastland Mall. I'd feel much safer at Gaylord Walmart than Eastland. The crime isn't an issue for me. People went off in this thread about it. What's funny is Grayling has a much lower crime rate and that place is a complete ****hole. Gaylord is actually my 2nd favorite northern Michigan community.

Two unfriendly neighbors? Even my fiance hates Gaylord. She hates it worse than me. We plan on getting married this spring and possibly having kids and I got to say, I'm not raising them in Gaylord. I lived in Roscommon for a few years and went to Roscommon High so I'm really not an outsider. I was born in Detroit and my parents moved to Roscommon (They hate it but can't sell their house.) went to RHS and left as soon as I could.
I think you should read your posts again where you said " sorry but Gaylord has a higher crime rate than the national average". So no you are not just looking at the number of each crime. You yourself made reference to the average.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I think you should read your posts again where you said " sorry but Gaylord has a higher crime rate than the national average". So no you are not just looking at the number of each crime. You yourself made reference to the average.

So Gaylord should be excluded because it's small? My main comparisons are to Harper Woods, hence the title of the thread.

Just got back from ABC Warehouse. Thought I could take advantage of a black Friday sale but it was a mob scene. Reminds me of when Circuit City used to be in Harper Woods.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:31 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
Quote:
So Gaylord should be excluded because it's small? My main comparisons are to Harper Woods, hence the title of the thread.

Just got back from ABC Warehouse. Thought I could take advantage of a black Friday sale but it was a mob scene. Reminds me of when Circuit City used to be in Harper Woods.
Nope not at all. I was just making a point that you mentioned the average rate and then said your not looking at those stat's during your comparison. When in fact you did.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Nope not at all. I was just making a point that you mentioned the average rate and then said your not looking at those stat's during your comparison. When in fact you did.

So why is Gaylord's crime double that of Grayling, Mancelona, or Petoskey? Either way, Gaylord has high crime.

I guess I have to reiterate that I do not believe Gaylord is dangerous at all. I'm just confused about the stereotypes. Why would someone say that a burglar would more likely stab and rape you in Harper Woods than in Gaylord? The stats show it is more likely to happen in Gaylord. Is it because Harper Woods has a lot more blacks? It's puzzling to me that if I were to say this burglary happened in Harper Woods, the responses would be Harper Woods is declining, the crime is out of hand, get out while you can, it's unsafe, etc. The same thing happens in Gaylord and we are quick to make excuses. Maybe I figured out why I hate Gaylord so much now. My fiance is half black and is darker than most anybody here. Maybe these inbred yocals are too intolerant of a mixed couple. At least Harper Woods has much more racial tolerance.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Maybe these inbred yocals are too intolerant of a mixed couple. At least Harper Woods has much more racial tolerance.
Could be they are not racist at all, just don't like d!ckweeds from downstate acting like everybody around is an "inbred yokel"

You act like you are 12, welcome to the ignore list.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:41 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Quote:
Maybe I figured out why I hate Gaylord so much now. My fiance is half black and is darker than most anybody here. Maybe these inbred yocals are too intolerant of a mixed couple. At least Harper Woods has much more racial tolerance.
"Inbred yocals"? The attitude you are displaying is a good working definition of hypocrisy. The very thing you abhor you are now doing. I'm sorry you are so agitated about life up here. Your expectations (as I said earlier) are a bit high it seems. People are people wherever you go. I have lived 15yrs in the Metro Detroit area. There are good and not so good scenarios wherever you go......that is subjective based on ones expectations.

But you knew that.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Could be they are not racist at all, just don't like d!ckweeds from downstate acting like everybody around is an "inbred yokel"

You act like you are 12, welcome to the ignore list.

I probably came off boorish by saying hello to my new neighbors. Apparently that isn't how Gaylord works. The proper greeting is some sort of threat. Please tell your Gaylord neighbors to place me on ignore. (Unfortunately you can't read this or even think I care that I'm ignored by someone online) It would be better than hearing them tell me how I ruined their day by having their illegal cable shut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
"Inbred yocals"? The attitude you are displaying is a good working definition of hypocrisy. The very thing you abhor you are now doing. I'm sorry you are so agitated about life up here. Your expectations (as I said earlier) are a bit high it seems. People are people wherever you go. I have lived 15yrs in the Metro Detroit area. There are good and not so good scenarios wherever you go......that is subjective based on ones expectations.

But you knew that.
My expectations are high? Really? Is it so much to ask that my neighbors reply to hello is a hello back? Seriously that's too high?

If you read the thread title it states "My Comparison" and of course people come out of the woodwork when a northern Michigan community is criticized.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:29 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Quote:

If you read the thread title it states "My Comparison" and of course people come out of the woodwork when a northern Michigan community is criticized.
Do consider that you have moved from a comparison....even beyond "criticizing a community". You have moved over into the insulting of people that live in Gaylord. You called them "inbred yocals" because of the perceived treatment you have received. I didnt realize you have done a study of the family tree of all the Gaylord residents.

When you move into the calling of names you have done what you do not like in terms of "racism", "prejudice" etc. You do not like to receive that treatment of your fiance. You can best retailiate by being fair and respectful when those things happen. Otherwise you are defeated before you start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan