Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 PM

147 posts, read 522,577 times

Advertisements

Wherever I go in these united states, I am forever proud of being from Michigan...when I hear a Motown song, I get homesick. Just think how many groups became legendary...I can't stop counting....Let's see, how about, ~Marvin Gaye, Brook Benton, Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, Al Green, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Glenn Frey, Bob Seger, Mitch Ryder and his Detroit Wheels, Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen, Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, Madonna, ? & The Mysterians and...more, more, more!

I am so glad I grew up in the 1960's in Southern Michigan. What a cool place to be from. What other state has such a rich musical heritage?

When I hear a classic Motown song, I'm so proud of Michigan. ( I also start dancing in supermarkets...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,354,775 times
So I watched 'Dreamgirls' today, taped it from yesterday. Got all nostaglic for those happy days of my youth and was crying at the end.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 AM

902 posts, read 1,927,190 times
And thats just a handful mentioned above . Nothing against Cleveland , but it makes one wonder why the powers that be , put the rock n roll Hall Of Fame there .

Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,316,758 times
Well, if there is ever a Motown Hall of Fame, it will be in Detroit. to put it anywhere else would just be wrong. I know there is already a Motown museum, but does it have a hall of fame within it? I have never been to it, but from the pictures I've seen, it looks like it's located in a former private home or something. I would love to see them put a much larger one downtown near one of the people mover stops.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 AM

749 posts, read 2,440,366 times
Never was a fan of Motown, but Bob Seger, Grand Funk Railroad, Nuggent and Alice Cooper are top notch IMO.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,354,775 times
The Motown Museum is the original home of Motown Records where the Supremes, Temptations, Stevie Wonder, et al, got thier start under the watchful eye of Barry Gordy. Yes, Hitsville was located in a lovely old house on Grand Blvd. Eventually the offices were house in the adjacent eight houses as well. The sound studios, etc, are essentially the way they were left. when they moved into an office building.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM

147 posts, read 522,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
So I watched 'Dreamgirls' today, taped it from yesterday. Got all nostaglic for those happy days of my youth and was crying at the end.
MICoastie, nothing stirs my fire like Motown music. When I hear Marvin Gaye sing with Tammy Terrell...every darn time I hear it...I have to start moving. My Ipod is full of Motown. I watched Dreamgirls too, one movie I would not have missed!

Btw, who was Eddie Murphy portraying? James Brown?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM

792 posts, read 2,325,809 times