Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:20 AM

112 posts, read 305,082 times

Advertisements

Why should most small businesses stay in Michigan...especially since they have to work harder each year so they can supply more money to state and local governments who happily give that money to a small group of preferred businesses in the form of tax breaks, tax rebates and other giveaways?

I do not understand the logic of confiscating money from businesses that are not near bankruptcy and have been in Michigan for years or decades in order to give it to businesses from out of state or local businesses that are often nearly belly-up.

Who in their right mind (other than a totally corrupt thief) would basically rob the local independent corner restaurant in order to prop up GM?

If you have thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 12:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshop View Post
Why should most small businesses stay in Michigan...especially since they have to work harder each year so they can supply more money to state and local governments who happily give that money to a small group of preferred businesses in the form of tax breaks, tax rebates and other giveaways?

I do not understand the logic of confiscating money from businesses that are not near bankruptcy and have been in Michigan for years or decades in order to give it to businesses from out of state or local businesses that are often nearly belly-up.

Who in their right mind (other than a totally corrupt thief) would basically rob the local independent corner restaurant in order to prop up GM?

If you have thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.
You are 100% correct. I own a small business. I am just glad we are in a small group doing OK, so far. I would never open a business in Michigan again.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:25 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Quote:
Why should most small businesses stay in Michigan...especially since they have to work harder each year so they can supply more money to state and local governments
Isn't that obvious? because there are green bills on people hands, owners of small (and big) business want those. Businesses are NOT making you a favor in staying. Sure, businesses with markets outside of MI will seek cheap labor and low taxes lands as bloodhounds. However, there are plenty of small businesses whose market is limited to your town, county, state. If they cannot make profit, they go bankrupt. They don't stay out of kindness of their hearts, if they are there, cash flow is positive. I don't see small businesses owners leaving en mass MI to give you a lesson. What they gonna do without you? Ever thought of that?

Business propaganda is ruthlessly stuffed into people' heads they forget that running a business is NOT right, it's a privilege granted by the citizenry under certain conditions". Businesses serve people, not the other way around.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You are 100% correct. I own a small business. I am just glad we are in a small group doing OK, so far. I would never open a business in Michigan again.
If you will not, somebody else will. If there are green bills on people hands there are always harvesters of those, ALWAYS, even in Somali or USSR (where owning underground business meant Siberia camps) . MI is not Somali by far. Business people sometimes get major delusions of grandeur. Yup, you all are indispensable

Old 11-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
If you will not, somebody else will. If there are green bills on people hands there are always harvesters of those, ALWAYS, even in Somali or USSR (where owning underground business meant Siberia camps) . MI is not Somali by far. Business people sometimes get major delusions of grandeur. Yup, you all are indispensable
Really?? Drill your own well and let me know how it works for you... We are in fact "indispensable".

Old 11-27-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Really?? Drill your own well and let me know how it works for you... We are in fact "indispensable".
Oh, man, please don't scrap all your equipment to double check whether the Sun spins around your bigger than life personality and drilling business Because in no time at all some vulture will move in and take over all the customers.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:40 PM

541 posts, read 984,957 times
Quote:
Oh, man, please don't scrap all your equipment to double check whether the Sun spins around your bigger than life personality and drilling business Because in no time at all some vulture will move in and take over all the customers.
driller's point is valid,i have been privalidged enough to know quite a few company owners in construction,most of them are trying to set up shop in other states for better tax options that what they recieve here...

Old 11-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
driller's point is valid,i have been privalidged enough to know quite a few company owners in construction,most of them are trying to set up shop in other states for better tax options that what they recieve here...

Are they going to sell their Mexican laborers in MI or they are going to compete on the crowded out of state markets ? Do they like MI cash they are paid or no amount of cash will lure them to a project in MI, they are so pissed? As I said there are "movable" and "non movable" businesses. I'm not a driller but I would assume the driller would have a trouble commuting from TN to MI to drill, but who knows.

It's up to MI people to dictate what kind of businesses are allowed on MI soil, under what conditions, it's not up to businesses (owned by very few people) to dictate 11 millions of Michiganders what they shall become, how many bowls of soup they should demand for a day of work, what taxes they shall demand etc. Either you are master of your state or you are wage slaves on mercy of the few. It doesn't appear Mi people understand this, they think that accepting race to the bottom will pacify corporation owners who will forgive former "sins" and give a juicy bone to a good doggie waving its tale so cute.

Dream on. There is so called "iron law of wages", if you accept "free" market race to the bottom and global/inter state labor arbitrage, you shall accept consequences of that law. It says something like this " workers wages tend to approach their subsistence levels". Enjoy.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
I have a friend about 18 miles north of the Indiana border, lives in Michigan. Great at bodywork. Permits, dealing with the DEQ and others codes, he gave up. His business is in Indiana. He commutes, employees 10 people from Indiana.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Are they going to sell their Mexican laborers in MI or they are going to compete on the crowded out of state markets ? Do they like MI cash they are paid or no amount of cash will lure them to a project in MI, they are so pissed? As I said there are "movable" and "non movable" businesses. I'm not a driller but I would assume the driller would have a trouble commuting from TN to MI to drill, but who knows.

It's up to MI people to dictate what kind of businesses are allowed on MI soil, under what conditions, it's not up to businesses (owned by very few people) to dictate 11 millions of Michiganders what they shall become, how many bowls of soup they should demand for a day of work, what taxes they shall demand etc. Either you are master of your state or you are wage slaves on mercy of the few. It doesn't appear Mi people understand this, they think that accepting race to the bottom will pacify corporation owners who will forgive former "sins" and give a juicy bone to a good doggie waving its tale so cute.

Dream on. There is so called "iron law of wages", if you accept "free" market race to the bottom and global/inter state labor arbitrage, you shall accept consequences of that law. It says something like this " workers wages tend to approach their subsistence levels". Enjoy.
Dictate? Oh yes, that worked well in pre WWll Germany. They even have a DICTATOR to enforce things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan